BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet

+12
4speed
Bret Powell
dutchman
rmcomprandy
Lem Evans
c.evans
GT300TD
maverick
QtrWarrior
bbf-falcon
dfree383
Paul Kane
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet  - Page 2 Empty Re: Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet

Post  Bret Powell March 4th 2013, 9:52 pm

I did not work on the heads. I am not at liberty to say what I may have done as far as I know.

Bret

Last edited by Bret Powell on March 4th 2013, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet  - Page 2 Empty Re: Factory production Chrysler iron hemi head vs iron cobra jet

Post  schmitty March 4th 2013, 9:58 pm

Bret Powell wrote:I did not work on the heads. I am not at liberty to say what I did or did not do as far as I know.

Bret
No info necessary. Wink
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Blair March 4th 2013, 10:21 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
4speed wrote:Sounds to me that it would basically come down to how much coin a guy has to throw at the hemi or the dooe-r. Generally speaking how much would a guy have to throw at the hemi heads to make the same power the cj head would pretty much maxed out (I know maxed out is a relative term).

Randy, if I were to send you both heads & said I want to spend 1500-1800 in port work on the cj's & then approximately how much would it take to get the hemi's to out power them. Would it be in the same ball park $$ or less,more? If a guy were trying to get to say 850+ hp w/ the 475ci 4150 carb what would it take, considering that the rest of the stuff done to the engines were built to accommodate that power level? or is there too many variables to give a good answer.-A

The cost of porting the cylinder heads would be almost the same as the CNC machine doesn't care.
I just had a pair of D0OE-R heads CNC ported and they need a bit of epoxy shaping just to get air flows close; (and that certainly isn't keeping the port volume of either head the same as was OEM produced). Brazing in the exhaust ports is the same cost and the Fords need it a whole lot more than the hemi heads do..

Most of the cost of that kind of power level would be in the rest of the valve train and the engine underneath them.
AND, of course, all the development time.

I can tell you for sure, that an 800 horsepower Ford big block with a CJ headed, single 780cfm 4150 carbed, 429 cubic inch engine is and has been done in NHRA Super Stock..
I wonder what adding 100 CI, 2 points of compression, and a 1250 carb would do on that SS 429?
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  Bret Powell March 4th 2013, 11:40 pm

Very Happy

Bret Powell

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 5th 2013, 3:54 pm

I know 557 inch and a ported set of Dooe-r's will run 5.70 @ 3200 lb.............. I did it at Bowling green and the cam had only 8 degrees of split and only 110 seperation.

Ask BooBoo.............
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 5th 2013, 9:58 pm

QtrWarrior wrote:I thought it was... Mostly Old Parts And Rust ..??

Motor On Pavement After Race!! Laughing
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD March 6th 2013, 11:35 am

ThndrChkn wrote:
QtrWarrior wrote:I thought it was... Mostly Old Parts And Rust ..??

Motor On Pavement After Race!! Laughing

Gotta tell that one to my 'nopower' buddies when they say 'fix or repair daily ' Razz Smile Laughing

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2