BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eliminator block oil modifications

+2
TRUKPULR
werneil
6 posters

Go down

eliminator block oil  modifications Empty eliminator block oil modifications

Post  werneil October 14th 2012, 7:24 am

i have read with interest advice concerning oiling mods, mostly around the front cam bearing to improve cam chain and distributor gear lube, now WHAT IF approx. a 20''th hole was drilled through the oil gallery plug located just to the side of the distributor gear and behind the cam gear. could this oil spray improve lube to the chain, dist gear etc. with a very simple mod. SOMETIMES i have good ideas ??, but not all the time !! , any comments would be appreciated

werneil

Back to top Go down

eliminator block oil  modifications Empty Re: eliminator block oil modifications

Post  TRUKPULR October 14th 2012, 8:26 am

Get a Danny Bee and don't worry about oiling the timing chain. Otherwise it Sound's like an oil leak to me .

Dan
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

eliminator block oil  modifications Empty Re: eliminator block oil modifications

Post  BOSS 429 October 14th 2012, 11:57 am

werneil wrote:i have read with interest advice concerning oiling mods, mostly around the front cam bearing to improve cam chain and distributor gear lube, now WHAT IF approx. a 20''th hole was drilled through the oil gallery plug located just to the side of the distributor gear and behind the cam gear. could this oil spray improve lube to the chain, dist gear etc. with a very simple mod. SOMETIMES i have good ideas ??, but not all the time !! , any comments would be appreciated

do you have roller cam bearings?
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane October 14th 2012, 6:17 pm

Drilling the drver's side lifter gallery plug is a very widely known and often practiced oiling mod which has been around for decades.

The distributor gear oiling mod via the front cam journal as shown on our website is the method that I came up with. It sends a continuous squirt of oil directly to the distributor drive gear. There are reports of bronze gears lasting as long as 25,000 miles and deemed in perfect shape and suitable for continued use. This oiling modification is not intended to be a timing chain oiler; incidentally, rarely are there instances where direct chain oiling is necessary beyond the splash that the internal chain already receives. This distributor gear oiling mod also works with rollerized cam bearings when They are installed per the Ford Racing installation procedure.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

eliminator block oil  modifications Empty Oiling your distributor gear

Post  manofmerc October 16th 2012, 6:13 am

Several years while checking the timing on my 460 powered dragcar I noticed the mark on my harmonic balancer was all over the place .Thinking my timing chain was stretched I looked at that first .It wasnt so bad but I had pulled my msd distributor and the gear had a lot of wear on the teeth .Long story short I did the oiling mod.That mr.Kane has on his site .I replaced the distributor gear with a new one from msd and 6 years later it still looks new! This is a simple 466 bracket engine that goes high 6 low 7 in the eighth mile .The front main bearing supplies a pretty good spray of oil to the timing chain and gears I imagine .My hat is off to Paul Kane for his the free information he offers on his website .Doug Very Happy

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

eliminator block oil  modifications Empty eliminator block oil modifications

Post  werneil October 16th 2012, 10:47 am

thanks for the advice, i try to learn as much as i can when building engines this is why i ask questions, even after many years!, unfortunately our block is already fitted with the roller cam bearings so we will go with the drilled oil gallery plug. i had not seen this mod anywhere before but it has to to be better than nothing at all

werneil

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 October 16th 2012, 1:51 pm

With roller bearings you need to modify that front journal so the retainer plate and cam gear get oil. Shocked
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 October 16th 2012, 8:10 pm

cool40 wrote:With roller bearings you need to modify that front journal so the retainer plate and cam gear get oil. Shocked

x2
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down