BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I swapped my stealth for a victor intake and found a problem!!

+6
Mark Miller
4604X4
dfree383
rmcomprandy
69F100
f250mike
10 posters

Go down

I swapped my stealth for a victor intake and found a problem!! Empty I swapped my stealth for a victor intake and found a problem!!

Post  f250mike September 19th 2012, 9:45 pm

I have 5 out of 8 intake ports that are black. I'm guessing I have some seriuos valve to seat issues.
I run a solid cam and check the lash every 3 races. So I know the rockers aren't to tight.
The dove heads were built back in 2005 and have lots of mud drag and 1/4 mile passes on them. Maybe 400 passes in total.
Any ideas?

mike
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

I swapped my stealth for a victor intake and found a problem!! Empty Re: I swapped my stealth for a victor intake and found a problem!!

Post  69F100 September 20th 2012, 12:24 am

Mike run it pull the heads over the winter amd do a valve job you dont have many more races this year left do you.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

I swapped my stealth for a victor intake and found a problem!! Empty Re: I swapped my stealth for a victor intake and found a problem!!

Post  rmcomprandy September 20th 2012, 12:25 am

f250mike wrote:I have 5 out of 8 intake ports that are black. I'm guessing I have some seriuos valve to seat issues.
I run a solid cam and check the lash every 3 races. So I know the rockers aren't to tight.
The dove heads were built back in 2005 and have lots of mud drag and 1/4 mile passes on them. Maybe 400 passes in total.
Any ideas?

mike

FOUR HUNDRED passes on a race engine ...?
I would say it is well past time to get inside and look over things which do tend to wear out.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 20th 2012, 12:47 am

Compression test and a leak down test will give you some indications of whats going on.

Also look for leaky intake gaskets.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike September 20th 2012, 8:11 pm

Randy, I never really considered it a race engine Smile.
It's a low budget deal that I suppose has been neglected a little.
It's been running high 11 second passes. Do you suppose the exhaust valves are about the same?
Guess I'll find out soon.

Dave, I looked the intake gasket over real good and it appeared to be sealing fine.

Jim, I have 2 more points races and I'm done for the year. I might try to get these heads freshened and make a couple TnT days before snow flies.

Thanks guys
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  4604X4 September 21st 2012, 12:29 pm

What are the engine specs?
4604X4
4604X4

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike September 21st 2012, 3:07 pm

It's a .060" over D9 block with stock crank, truck rods, and KB137 pistons.
Ported Dove heads with 2.19in./1.76ex valves. no flow #'s
Cam is a solid flat tappet. 254/261 @ .050 duration. .615/.635 lift
I was running a stealth with 850 holley. The victor is on it now with the 850.
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike September 23rd 2012, 1:53 am

Ok, today I tried out the victor intake on the truck.
This spring with similar air and temp the truck went best of 11.76.
The victor swap with no other changes netted me a 11.44. https://2img.net/h/i92.photobucket.com/albums/l26/mudmike/9-22-2012timeslip_zps0065cef4.jpg
I set a goal to run 11.60 this year. I think after today I have next years goal covered also!!

Thanks for the advice Rich Wilhelm!!!!!!!!!! The victor made a huge difference cheers
One more race and I can get the leaky valves and the port match taken care of.

mike
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller September 23rd 2012, 2:15 am

Congrats on your new best time 3 tenths improvement is good for a intake change.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave September 23rd 2012, 7:04 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
f250mike wrote:I have 5 out of 8 intake ports that are black. I'm guessing I have some seriuos valve to seat issues.
Any ideas?

mike

FOUR HUNDRED passes on a race engine ...?
I would say it is well past time to get inside and look over things which do tend to wear out.

As Sir Randy writes, all things being as they are, 400 (+/-) runs, I would think there would be a bit of "dirt" up the intake runners (tract). I would be curious at the end of your season, if the Victor's runners are discolored! Let me commend you on a good build that has brought you excellent service. Again as Randy wrote, time to give her the once over!

JM$0.02,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 23rd 2012, 4:51 pm

Thanks for the advice Rich Wilhelm!!!!!!!!!! The victor made a huge difference cheers

mike[/quote]

Your welcome mike, Now you know how I feel about the torino engine,over 600 passes,and 10 years of run time on it, 8 different intakes,( 3 differnt victor intakes ) 10 different carbs 4 different converters tried ,5 different gear ratios, including a low gear set in the c6,2 different c6 trans ,valve bodies,and then we added nos,lol it needs a freshen,but we learnd some things testing .
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 September 23rd 2012, 9:40 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:

mike

Your welcome mike, Now you know how I feel about the torino engine,over 600 passes,and 10 years of run time on it, 8 different intakes,( 3 differnt victor intakes ) 10 different carbs 4 different converters tried ,5 different gear ratios, including a low gear set in the c6,2 different c6 trans ,valve bodies,and then we added nos,lol it needs a freshen,but we learnd some things testing .[/quote]

That Torino motor runs pretty good....
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 23rd 2012, 9:52 pm

yellowhorse7 wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:

mike

Your welcome mike, Now you know how I feel about the torino engine,over 600 passes,and 10 years of run time on it, 8 different intakes,( 3 differnt victor intakes ) 10 different carbs 4 different converters tried ,5 different gear ratios, including a low gear set in the c6,2 different c6 trans ,valve bodies,and then we added nos,lol it needs a freshen,but we learnd some things testing .

That Torino motor runs pretty good....[/quote]i houht it was retired to cruise night beauty queen duty?
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 23rd 2012, 9:53 pm

Thought...ughhh
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 25th 2012, 11:42 pm

That Torino motor runs pretty good....QUOTE;

lol,you should know, you have its sister
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 25th 2012, 11:44 pm

Barney wrote:
yellowhorse7 wrote:
BOSS 429 wrote:

mike

That Torino motor runs pretty good....

I thouht it was retired to cruise night beauty queen duty?[/quote] < no,I should,but for now its just resting
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down