BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 link setting

+4
bbf-falcon
cool40
richter69
Moodyblues
8 posters

Go down

4 link setting Empty 4 link setting

Post  Moodyblues September 4th 2012, 9:11 pm

Ok I have a 77 Mustang II. Full chassis car. 499 BBF built by Da Snake and it's got the horses. 1.76 glide, 4.88 gear. 8 inch 5500 stall Best pass so far has been 5.63/125.

With this stall I need to leave at 4600 off the brake. I left at 4400 and the car stood straight up. The 5.63 pass was leaving at 4000. The better the track the more violent the car gets, it's pulling the front end and driving the car right on launch. Local track it seems to be ok at 4000 launch just pulling the front end about a foot but still going straight, better track it goes right. My goal is to get the car to leave without pulling the car over 3 inches.

I weighed the car on digital scales and posted below are the results:

LF. 588. RF 585
LR 570. RR 600

Cross 1158. IC. 49.29

Front bias% .504
Rear bias%. .503
Left side bias%. .497
Right side bias% .509

On the top bars I moved up one hole from the bottom hole from these readings. On the bottom hole the IC was 49.05

I'm hoping this will help keep the frontend down. It probably needs a flat of pre-load but one thing at a time. I weigh 220 lbs

Thoughts?
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

4 link setting Empty Re: 4 link setting

Post  Moodyblues September 4th 2012, 9:12 pm

Oh the car weighs in at 2326
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 4th 2012, 9:36 pm

are the numbers with you in the seat, full of fuel etc?

do you have an anti rollbar?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues September 4th 2012, 10:06 pm

No not me in the car. Yes anti roll
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 4th 2012, 10:24 pm

i'm sure no 4-link guy but i'd think with your corner weights it should work good.shock/strut settings,tire roll out,and even wheelbase can cause your problems.first thing i'd do is make sure the rearend is square in the car.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 4th 2012, 10:34 pm

you need to be in it, or at least your equivalent anyway.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 4th 2012, 11:21 pm

richter69 wrote:you need to be in it, or at least your equivalent anyway.

I'm not a suspension guy in any way shape or form,but i've always been told exactly that.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 4th 2012, 11:50 pm

Does the car have shocks or struts on the front, and is their extension valving adjustable? If so how tight/loose is the front valving currently set from "full tight"? If they are on the loose side of their extension valving range you can try to tighten the extension some. This might help to slow the nose coming up as fast.

Does the car have wheelie bars that you can use to help generate some wheel speed and aid in keeping the nose down?

If no wheelie bars do the rear shocks have any valving adjustability? If so and if they have the extension valving currently set on the looser side of it's total range, you can try to tighten up the extension a little (to slow down the speed of initial hit some). This might help to generate some more initial wheel speed, and help keep the nose lower.

If the front & rear shocks/shocks (or struts/shocks) are already adjusted with their extension valving at/near full tight, you can try to generate some additional wheel speed another way by increasing the air pressure a little each pass until the nose starts coming down.

Having big torque/power to work with on a big tired car doesn't automatically mean a longer I/C will always be better. Some of the Outlaw Pro Mods around here run an I/C as short as 40-45", and some run way out around the 75-80" (or more) range, and some are somewhere in the middle. But then some of these guys do have electric shocks and start the pass with the shocks locked out at full-tight. So in some cases their actual working I/C has much less effect on the car/launch.....down track it's another story though when the timers back the shocks off and the I/C comes back into play and more active.

And of course if you run out of usable chassis adjustment to work with and have a MSD digital box you could always fudge the timing around at the start of the pass to help keep the nose down.

The crooked launch just sounds like either the side-to-side preload is off a little, or possibly staggered slick rollout/staggered air pressure numbers. If it's a preload deal either adjust one of the top 4-link bar's length a little, or adjust one of the anti-roll link's length a little. It could also be caused by incorrect (or unwanted) wheelie bar height stagger too if you have w/bars. If you're setting the initial side to side preload setting with the car on jack stands (the "hanging method") you don't need the driver's weight in the car (because the car is on stands). If you're setting the initial preload with the car on the ground (or on "set-up" blocks) the car needs to have the total race weight in the car (fuel, water, oil, & driver weight).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

4 link setting Empty Re

Post  HorsinAround September 5th 2012, 8:46 am

Pardon my ignorance, but could someone educate me please? I understand the LF, LR, RR, RF weights and how the bias % is caluclated, but what is the cross and the IC and how are they calculated. Also someone mentioned an anti-roll bar, can someone post up a picture of a 4 link setup with an anti roll bar installed. Finally are there any good books on setting up a 4 link suspension?

LF. 588. RF 585
LR 570. RR 600

Cross 1158. IC. 49.29

Front bias% .504
Rear bias%. .503
Left side bias%. .497
Right side bias% .509

HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues September 5th 2012, 11:50 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Does the car have shocks or struts on the front, and is their extension valving adjustable? If so how tight/loose is the front valving currently set from "full tight"? If they are on the loose side of their extension valving range you can try to tighten the extension some. This might help to slow the nose coming up as fast.

I will have to check the front adjustments. It has a full strut frontend.

Does the car have wheelie bars that you can use to help generate some wheel speed and aid in keeping the nose down?

They are spring loaded and cant get them to stiften up, getting new ones.

If no wheelie bars do the rear shocks have any valving adjustability? If so and if they have the extension valving currently set on the looser side of it's total range, you can try to tighten up the extension a little (to slow down the speed of initial hit some). This might help to generate some more initial wheel speed, and help keep the nose lower.

If the front & rear shocks/shocks (or struts/shocks) are already adjusted with their extension valving at/near full tight, you can try to generate some additional wheel speed another way by increasing the air pressure a little each pass until the nose starts coming down.

Having big torque/power to work with on a big tired car doesn't automatically mean a longer I/C will always be better. Some of the Outlaw Pro Mods around here run an I/C as short as 40-45", and some run way out around the 75-80" (or more) range, and some are somewhere in the middle. But then some of these guys do have electric shocks and start the pass with the shocks locked out at full-tight. So in some cases their actual working I/C has much less effect on the car/launch.....down track it's another story though when the timers back the shocks off and the I/C comes back into play and more active.

the shocks are double adj and the setting is 4 clicks on the bottom and not sure about the top, a couple of turns it seems.

And of course if you run out of usable chassis adjustment to work with and have a MSD digital box you could always fudge the timing around at the start of the pass to help keep the nose down.

The crooked launch just sounds like either the side-to-side preload is off a little, or possibly staggered slick rollout/staggered air pressure numbers. If it's a preload deal either adjust one of the top 4-link bar's length a little, or adjust one of the anti-roll link's length a little. It could also be caused by incorrect (or unwanted) wheelie bar height stagger too if you have w/bars. If you're setting the initial side to side preload setting with the car on jack stands (the "hanging method") you don't need the driver's weight in the car (because the car is on stands). If you're setting the initial preload with the car on the ground (or on "set-up" blocks) the car needs to have the total race weight in the car (fuel, water, oil, & driver weight).

The rear end is dead set on. Car as gone straight as a arrow with 700hp but now that the hp has increased it doesnt like it.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues September 5th 2012, 11:52 am

HorsinAround wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but could someone educate me please? I understand the LF, LR, RR, RF weights and how the bias % is caluclated, but what is the cross and the IC and how are they calculated. Also someone mentioned an anti-roll bar, can someone post up a picture of a 4 link setup with an anti roll bar installed. Finally are there any good books on setting up a 4 link suspension?

LF. 588. RF 585
LR 570. RR 600

Cross 1158. IC. 49.29

Front bias% .504
Rear bias%. .503
Left side bias%. .497
Right side bias% .509

The IC is the center balance of the car. In my case the center is at 49.29 meaning if I am correct the rear has a little more weight than the front. I have used Jerry Bickle's chassis tunning book. I am basically a rookie at this.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues September 5th 2012, 11:55 am

cool40 wrote:i'm sure no 4-link guy but i'd think with your corner weights it should work good.shock/strut settings,tire roll out,and even wheelbase can cause your problems.first thing i'd do is make sure the rearend is square in the car.

Lee the rear is square, been checked. WB is 105". I think I'm close, gonna make some test runs on friday night.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 5th 2012, 10:34 pm

Have you checked rollout? Swapped tires side to side to see if that makes a difference?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 6th 2012, 2:30 am

Moodyblues wrote:..........and the setting is 4 clicks on the bottom............
Are we talking 4 clicks starting from full-loose, or 4 clicks starting from full-tight? This can often be a point of confusion since people don't always start counting from the same starting point.

HorsinAround wrote:...........what is the IC and how are they calculated..........
A car's I/C (instant center) is the actual (with a ladder bar) or theoretical (with a 4-link) pivot/leverage point in the rear suspension where two opposing actions happen at the same time during the launch. (A) the rear suspension tries to lift the car upward from this pivot/leverage point, and (B) the rear suspension tries to push/plant the slick's tread & sidewall downward into the track surface from this pivot/leverage point. A ladder bar's I/C is the front rod-end, a 4-links I/C is the theoretical point where the top & bottom bar's centerlines would cross each other if their centerlines were extended forward.

A car's C/G (center of gravity) is the theoretical balance point in a car where it would balance perfectly if hung from that point. The C/G's front/rear placement is calculated by weighing the front of the car vs the rear of the car. The height off the ground of the C/G is a little harder to calculate. But a number of drag chassis books out there say to just use at/around the height of the cam shaft off the ground as a good guess.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues September 6th 2012, 11:17 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:
Moodyblues wrote:..........and the setting is 4 clicks on the bottom............
Are we talking 4 clicks starting from full-loose, or 4 clicks starting from full-tight? This can often be a point of confusion since people don't always start counting from the same starting point.

HorsinAround wrote:...........what is the IC and how are they calculated..........
A car's I/C (instant center) is the actual (with a ladder bar) or theoretical (with a 4-link) pivot/leverage point in the rear suspension where two opposing actions happen at the same time during the launch. (A) the rear suspension tries to lift the car upward from this pivot/leverage point, and (B) the rear suspension tries to push/plant the slick's tread & sidewall downward into the track surface from this pivot/leverage point. A ladder bar's I/C is the front rod-end, a 4-links I/C is the theoretical point where the top & bottom bar's centerlines would cross each other if their centerlines were extended forward.

A car's C/G (center of gravity) is the theoretical balance point in a car where it would balance perfectly if hung from that point. The C/G's front/rear placement is calculated by weighing the front of the car vs the rear of the car. The height off the ground of the C/G is a little harder to calculate. But a number of drag chassis books out there say to just use at/around the height of the cam shaft off the ground as a good guess.

Dave I am showing my ignorance here........4 clicks from the bottom out of 12, so Im guessing 4 clicks from loose? I will check the Koni manual
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues September 6th 2012, 11:18 am

jbozzelle wrote:Have you checked rollout? Swapped tires side to side to see if that makes a difference?

Yes, the rollout is the same on the Hoosiers. I had Goodyears on it before and the left tire was 1" less rollout and I had to turn it a flat and that setting is still there. I guess negative preload.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 8th 2012, 12:01 am

Moodyblues wrote:Dave I am showing my ignorance here........4 clicks from the bottom out of 12, so Im guessing 4 clicks from loose? I will check the Koni manual
Not ignorance, it's a common deal. Everyone doesn't always agree where to start counting shock clicks/window-sweeps because not every shock maker out there does things exactly the same way. For example while both Santhuff & Koni have a similar looking top adjustment window-sweep assembly for their extension valving, they both don't spin the same direction to reach full-tight. And finding the 100% "full-loose" setting on a D/A Santhuff can be hard to do anyway. The ones I have worked with don't have the built in stops you would expect to find after say 15-16 clicks. Once you go past 18+ clicks you start to worry you might spin the adjuster assembly out of the shock by mistake if you go any further. Laughing

Another reason everyone doesn't agree were to start counting from is just because everyone doesn't agree were to start a car's initial chassis setup the first time out. Some guys start with everything set at full-loose, so it stands to reason they would be more likely to start counting from there. And some guys start with everything set full-tight first time out and start counting from there.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  curleysracecars September 11th 2012, 11:59 pm

DilligasDave is a smart dude, and knows his stuff. As he mentioned...shock settings are sometimes really difficult to "explain", and I've never understood why all manufacturers cannot make them the same way. Anyways, its going right sometimes, because it now it has more power, which is forcing the left tire into the ground harder, creating more traction, driving it to the right. Like you said, one thing at a time...thats for later.
To help with wheel stands, keep listening to Dave. We'll both tell you the same thing, so I'll let him do the typing. Smile Tighten front extension, lengthen/lower IC on 4-link, etc.
curleysracecars
curleysracecars

http://www.curleysracecars.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues September 14th 2012, 2:26 pm

I gotta learn this stuff because I am going to a 598 in a couple years. I appreciate everyone's advice and help. Picked up some digital scales and Jerry Bickel software. I am going to try the front tightening and 4- link adj.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues October 2nd 2012, 8:14 pm

Ok got an update here........

Got some digital scales and Jerry Bickel software.

The I/c on the car is 51.7. Engine is 14.5" high. Adj wheel base I'd location of the engine is 100.7 (103" wb on center wheel).

Changed the holes of the brackets on what Bickel said they should be. Added a flat of preload.

Car left pretty good and carried the wheels through the 60 and set it down pretty easy but I could tell I was a hair away from a wheel stand. Had a chassis guy tell me the engine height and the engine too far back in the car, it would not work with any adjustment.

Your thoughts?
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 2nd 2012, 8:19 pm

weight on the nose....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues October 2nd 2012, 8:22 pm

richter69 wrote:weight on the nose....

50 lbs?????
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues October 2nd 2012, 8:24 pm

With the adjustment the other night it went 5.63/121 leaving on 4000 chip, 8 lbs air in tires. If I could leave at 4600-4800 this thing would run pretty good.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 October 2nd 2012, 8:45 pm

you will be shocked at what 5-10 pds will do........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues October 2nd 2012, 8:53 pm

richter69 wrote:you will be shocked at what 5-10 pds will do........

I will try this
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down