BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seen another crash last night @ Windy Hollow

+13
Lem Evans
cobrakid8
bbf-falcon
dr's wife racing
maverick
Oakley Motorsports
cool40
richter69
Race Ready Fabrications
Tommyj466
scottke
Barney
56Tbird
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Seen another crash last night @ Windy Hollow Empty Seen another crash last night @ Windy Hollow

Post  56Tbird August 12th 2012, 8:32 pm

totally senseless....I would have came unglued if it'd have been my car involved!! A car breaks down on the track...you guys who've raced there know how short the shutdown is anyway...The guy is pushing his own car off the track in the dark...They send another pair of mid 5 second cars down and guess what???? Instead of running over the poor Chebbie brokedown on the track ,a nice Cuda running 5.61 decides to try and miss him and bounces off both guardrails @ 120mph.didn't turn out real well for his car ,but he's ok and the guy trying to push his car off is alive too!! Rolling Eyes No Outlaw track here..NHRA track....... cyclops
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Seen another crash last night @ Windy Hollow Empty Re: Seen another crash last night @ Windy Hollow

Post  Barney August 12th 2012, 8:38 pm

56Tbird wrote:totally senseless....I would have came unglued if it'd have been my car involved!! A car breaks down on the track...you guys who've raced there know how short the shutdown is anyway...The guy is pushing his own car off the track in the dark...They send another pair of mid 5 second cars down and guess what???? Instead of running over the poor Chebbie brokedown on the track ,a nice Cuda running 5.61 decides to try and miss him and bounces off both guardrails @ 120mph.didn't turn out real well for his car ,but he's ok and the guy trying to push his car off is alive too!! Rolling Eyes No Outlaw track here..NHRA track....... cyclops
I don't understand how that can happen? Shocked
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Seen another crash last night @ Windy Hollow Empty Re: Seen another crash last night @ Windy Hollow

Post  56Tbird August 12th 2012, 8:45 pm

Some track personal weren't paying attention is what happened!!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke August 12th 2012, 8:58 pm

Dan...... I dought I will ever go up there and run anymore. The shutdown has almost no lighting. Sucks.

Last edited by scottke on August 13th 2012, 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyj466 August 12th 2012, 9:16 pm

I try to make a point to watch and make sure the top end is clear before I stage anymore. I've seen guys sent down the track around here with someone at the other end too many times. That being said, it can be hard to see the top end at the holler.

I aint been down there this year, but it seems like they are geting some cars to show up and race from what they put up on Facebook.

TJ
Tommyj466
Tommyj466

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney August 12th 2012, 9:50 pm

Staff at the end, and a Wilkie talkie would solve that problem.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney August 12th 2012, 9:50 pm

Walkie. Ughhhhh.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications August 12th 2012, 10:17 pm

Dan that was my good buddy Jerry Meney in the orange Cuda. He's alright, just upset at the situation. When he got to the big end the guy in the other lane noticed the car off to the side and slammed on the brakes, which caused him to swerve into Jerry's lane. Now Jerry had two cars to avoid, he insinctly slammed on the brakes. Both front tires blew and the car went towards the wall. Smacked the right front corner pretty good. Jerry's more pissed that his perfect 70 Cuda grilled is a pile of scrap now.
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications August 12th 2012, 10:21 pm

Seen another crash last night @ Windy Hollow 9ed176c2
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 12th 2012, 10:30 pm

had it happen to me one time here also, thank god tvrp has a long ass shutdown and we were already slowed down pretty good. I went straight to the tower and gave them an ass rippin........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 12th 2012, 10:40 pm

Rolling Eyes if the track dont have enough lights to see a car down track i'd load up after dark...... Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 12th 2012, 10:46 pm

tv is well lit, the guy was at the end of the track...... its a long ways down there lol. not like these short as f-ck tracks yall have up there lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney August 12th 2012, 10:50 pm

Sucks. It seems to happen more frequently the last few years, I don't get it. Even the longer tracks up here, seems everyone's Ina goddamn hurry.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird August 12th 2012, 11:13 pm

They had a hell of a crowd since Chandler was down last night. I'm sure they were rushing.It's darker down there too,and I did see a few guys run with no tail lights!! That track is narrow and rough and dark! A recipe for disaster. I won't have my Thunderbird there,we had my Mustang there last night with my driver in it.He lifted on a digger and gave one away....ROOKIE!!! Razz Laughing king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Oakley Motorsports August 13th 2012, 8:29 am

just want to say I dont operate windy at this time.

Oakley Motorsports
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 13th 2012, 11:09 am

Oakley Motorsports wrote:just want to say I dont operate windy at this time.

We knew. Wink
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing August 13th 2012, 11:55 am

56Tbird wrote:They had a hell of a crowd since Chandler was down last night. I'm sure they were rushing.It's darker down there too,and I did see a few guys run with no tail lights!! That track is narrow and rough and dark! A recipe for disaster. I won't have my Thunderbird there,we had my Mustang there last night with my driver in it.He lifted on a digger and gave one away....ROOKIE!!! Razz Laughing king
Guess your neck is still bothering you Dan?
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird August 13th 2012, 1:11 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:
56Tbird wrote:They had a hell of a crowd since Chandler was down last night. I'm sure they were rushing.It's darker down there too,and I did see a few guys run with no tail lights!! That track is narrow and rough and dark! A recipe for disaster. I won't have my Thunderbird there,we had my Mustang there last night with my driver in it.He lifted on a digger and gave one away....ROOKIE!!! Razz Laughing king
Guess your neck is still bothering you Dan?
I'm totally down Ward,I can hardly wait to get cut on!!This shit is for the birds!!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird August 13th 2012, 1:17 pm

I hate this for the guys trying to run the track ,and the drivers involved. It's just a bad deal all around. I love Windy Hollow and it's heritage,I grew up racing there. But my stuff is to fast for the track for me to feel safe there anymore.I'm just glad it was 2 4.50 dragster that went down that pass, it could've been much worse than some body work and front tires blown!Maybe ,they'll give someone the job of making sure every car has it's tail lights on before staging and making sure they see them clear the turn off before the next pair goes down.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 13th 2012, 1:21 pm

Oakley Motorsports wrote:just want to say I dont operate windy at this time.

i recall the year i went to the bash you on the walkie talkie screaming there was a deer at the end of the track and to hold the pair about to run......deer aint got any taillights so you had to be lookin hard........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 13th 2012, 3:01 pm

It also happens at the Large (well known)tracks also. I was at Norwalk (Fun Ford weekend)one year and was in the semi's I think about 10pm.I had just crossed the stripes and the car made a loud bang sound.So not knowing what had happened,I steered to the left side of the track to avoid a possible oil down. I had killed the power (wrong move Rolling Eyes ) to everything including lights. Just started to open the door to get out and a 8.30 car went by like a jet while shutting down.Skeered the living S..T out of me. I got my ass ripped by the Norwalk crew as we towed away,but I felt it wasn't all my fault,because they usually make sure the track is clear before they will stage any other cars. So no matter where you race ,one needs to be careful.

PS...The loud bang was the MSD box taking a crap. Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cobrakid8 August 13th 2012, 8:08 pm

Yeah it has been happening more lately and someone with a walkie talkie connected to the starter would straighten it all out. Heck almost happened the other night to my son in his junior dragster that quit right before the first turn off, even had the light flashing on the back and they were about to get a pair of regular cars to send down, I could not believe it. People are in to big of a hurray and I would rather spend all night there than someone getting hurt for something so stupid. Doug

cobrakid8

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 13th 2012, 8:25 pm

Racers should have a working tail light.
Track personal should make sure racers have a working tail light.
The racer and racer's crew should never assume that the track crew do not have their head in their ass.

It's a place to play some defence.

Last edited by Lem Evans on August 14th 2012, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole August 13th 2012, 9:06 pm

Been in a similar situation once before and got lucky, no crash, but scared the crap out of me.

My home track is 1/8 mile racing on a 1/4 mile track. Concrete guardrails all the way down.

I was in my last dragster (the 08 American) . It was still new to me and I had my old trusty 557 BT headed engine it. Just around dusk, my tail light was on. The crank broke at the 1/8 stripe, locked the engine at 140 mph , broke the bellhousing off 360° around. Scared the crap out of me. I got it slowed down, over against the wall and and stopped about 100 yards past the 1/4 mile scoreboards. Still in the car for a bit, just gathering my wits and making sure my undies were still clean. Then I heard engines...the next pair of dragsters were doing their burnouts. I am glad I had practiced an emergency exit, because I came up out of that car NOW!. Jumped over the wall and then yanked my jacket off and was waving it around to get the other attention. Both of them made their pass and then saw me. Slowed down and moved over.

After that I had a rather animated discussion with the starter. Got multiple apologies from him and the lady in the tower on the computer. No similar issues have happened that I know of since.

Last edited by David Cole on August 13th 2012, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 13th 2012, 9:07 pm

irresponsible racer and no tech = bad things gonna happen..........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next