BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My car's slow, but it's getting quicker. New best again!

+6
Wheelie58
tornado
richter69
514Fox87
bigblok2000ranger
BigBlockRanger
10 posters

Go down

My car's slow, but it's getting quicker.  New best again! Empty My car's slow, but it's getting quicker. New best again!

Post  BigBlockRanger July 9th 2012, 5:12 pm

My car's slow, but it's getting quicker.  New best again! 599475_10151014617239485_1954060940_n

Made it out to the track Friday evening. Pulled the DW trailer again with the slicks on it. Car ran 185-190 on the way out there with the new radiator, so I was happy about that. (upper 90's) The 3.55's seem to be fine for the highway. Found a spot to park and waited for my buddy to show up in his 84 GT. Went and teched in and BS'd with the tech guy about Drag Week for a little bit.

Thinking I'd gone too far last time, I decided to try more air in the Drag Radials because it spun so easily with 14# last time. Well, that was the wrong thing to do because it just went up in a huge cloud of smoke at the line. haha Went back to the pits and started to put the slicks on it...... well, that didn't go well. The slicks just barely touched the inner fender at the front. Crap. I took a ballpeen hammer and clearanced it a bit, but decided it would be better to just run a 3/16-1/4" spacer. Unfortunately, my spacers (3 or 4 sets) were all hanging on the garage wall back at my house. I put the radials back on and dropped it down to 12 pounds and went to make another pass. A buddy of mine's son wanted to race me in their '08 GT500, so we lined up. I hit it a little easier out of the hole and it went 1.85 60, 11.56 @ 122.7 mph. A new best, but still not the 60 foot I was wanting to see. Tree'd him and out ran him by a bunch, but he's still learning how to really drive that car. Made another pass later on that was virtually identical to that one, except I hit the launch a little harder and it lifted the driver's front tire. Kinda freaked me, I peddled and pulled 2nd. Should have just stayed in it. I bet it would have 60'd better and netted a low 11. Oh well, there's always next time. Oh yeah, the DA was 6400 feet according to www.airdensityonline.com.

Overall a good trip to the track. Car made it out there, made laps and then made it home pulling the trailer. That's always a win in my book.

Last edited by BigBlockRanger on August 6th 2012, 10:05 am; edited 3 times in total
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

My car's slow, but it's getting quicker.  New best again! Empty Re: My car's slow, but it's getting quicker. New best again!

Post  bigblok2000ranger July 9th 2012, 5:27 pm

Good job you will get it where your happy eventually! Yes you should have stayed in it Wink
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

My car's slow, but it's getting quicker.  New best again! Empty Re: My car's slow, but it's getting quicker. New best again!

Post  514Fox87 July 9th 2012, 5:32 pm

BEWARE!!!!!! The more speed bug will hit and next thing you know you will be trying to run 9's. Good job
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 9th 2012, 5:34 pm

I know how you feel, mines slow also...........just ask Dan................. Razz

you gonna try to make Buick Ford this year?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger July 9th 2012, 5:49 pm

Not this time. Southern KS is a long way to drive for a 1 day event.

Amarillo Dragway however is putting on a GM vs. The World event that is modeled after BvF. Qualify, ladder them up and hope your guys brought enough fast cars!
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 9th 2012, 6:32 pm

It's only about 3hrs from here or less, I may go, never been to that track why not lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  tornado July 9th 2012, 9:39 pm

You might want to check on the Buick vs. Ford thing. If I remember right it was shown as being at Ark City and to my knowledge that strip is shut down.

tornado

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 9th 2012, 9:41 pm

I saw that this afternoon diggin around.................I guess we will see.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 July 9th 2012, 10:24 pm

Keep on it man!
It sounds like you are dealing with some nasty air...wow!
Nice results....
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger July 9th 2012, 10:52 pm

514Fox87 wrote:BEWARE!!!!!! The more speed bug will hit and next thing you know you will be trying to run 9's. Good job

Or 8's Wink One minute your gonna upgrade the cam have the heads ported and up the compression a little next thing you know you sold the upper half of the engine and putting A heads and a tunnel ram with 2 carbs on it Rolling Eyes
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger August 6th 2012, 8:36 am

It ran 11.19 at 120.6! Every pass I made it went quicker. It was getting late so I did not try again after the 11.19 run. I am still having problems leaving it in 1st until the shift light comes on. Stupid me. Each run I felt like I left it in 1st longer and it went quicker, so I think there's still a little left in it. Air temp was mid-90's and the DA was 6900 feet. 60 foots were nice in the 1.56 range and may get a little better, but I'm freaking happy with that considering how little suspension work I have done to this car. It sure is fun having a fast car and having one you can pull a trailer to the track with, race and then get home again.

Took it to a big cruise here Sat night and it was fun. Temp stayed at 185 in traffic (it's a big loop downtown) until the fan's fuseholder had a meltdown and shut the fan off. I had to fix it with my pocket knife since I did not have any tools with me, but once I did that, it went right back to 185.

I am digging this car. Pulling the t-tops out and cruising around is freaking awesome!!!!!
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 7th 2012, 2:34 am

Need to get a Fan relay on it before you burn it down. Glad you are having fun w/it. Very Happy cheers

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  valleydawg August 7th 2012, 9:01 am

Sweet!
valleydawg
valleydawg

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird August 7th 2012, 11:33 am

richter69 wrote:I know how you feel, mines slow also...........just ask Dan................. Razz

you gonna try to make Buick Ford this year?
Yours ain't slow ZeRo...I just had to ride your hindend for a while....as you would have me if you'd have won Laughing king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird August 7th 2012, 11:34 am

your car ain't slow either Ranger! I'd love to have a streetcar that runs like that!! cheers
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger August 7th 2012, 12:23 pm

Thanks. It's a porky car at 3515 with a full tank of gas and me in it. Full interior, battery up front, etc. I'd love for it to dip into the 10's here in Amarillo with our high elevation and crappy air.

BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney August 7th 2012, 3:34 pm

I like it. Used to have a 83 GT SBF grudge type deal. Still miss it.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down