BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who runs solid lifter (non-roller) cams on the street? Is this cam too big?

+8
quick 52
JACKAZZFLATZ
BOSS 429
IDT-572
bigblok2000ranger
rmcomprandy
whitefield
512Fairlane
12 posters

Go down

Who runs solid lifter (non-roller) cams on the street?  Is this cam too big? Empty Who runs solid lifter (non-roller) cams on the street? Is this cam too big?

Post  512Fairlane February 9th 2012, 12:11 am

Anyone running solid lifters on the street? How often do you have to check lash? The wife just told me we are putting the big block in her 57 Fairlane. She doesn't want to play around with a little 302. Go big or go home she says. I'm going to use the old 460 bracket motor. It has a solid lifter Crower cam. .536" Intake 290 duration, .554" exhaust 298 degrees, 247 and 251 degrees at .050". Should I switch to a milder hydraulic flat tappet or try this one first. It has ported Doves, Weiand Stealth, KB flat top pistons, roller rockers. It ran low 11's in my car at 3500 lbs. I will be putting lower compression pistons in it. Thanks, Mike
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Who runs solid lifter (non-roller) cams on the street?  Is this cam too big? Empty Re: Who runs solid lifter (non-roller) cams on the street? Is this cam too big?

Post  whitefield February 9th 2012, 10:18 am

I ran a solid flat tappet cam from Reed cams for about five years street and strip use.
.587 .610 lift with 261 and 268 on the duration @ .050.
Good oil and oiling sytem with proper valve adjustments and maintence it should be fine.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Who runs solid lifter (non-roller) cams on the street?  Is this cam too big? Empty Re: Who runs solid lifter (non-roller) cams on the street? Is this cam too big?

Post  rmcomprandy February 9th 2012, 11:24 am

512Fairlane wrote:Anyone running solid lifters on the street? How often do you have to check lash? The wife just told me we are putting the big block in her 57 Fairlane. She doesn't want to play around with a little 302. Go big or go home she says. I'm going to use the old 460 bracket motor. It has a solid lifter Crower cam. .536" Intake 290 duration, .554" exhaust 298 degrees, 247 and 251 degrees at .050". Should I switch to a milder hydraulic flat tappet or try this one first. It has ported Doves, Weiand Stealth, KB flat top pistons, roller rockers. It ran low 11's in my car at 3500 lbs. I will be putting lower compression pistons in it. Thanks, Mike

A camshaft that size should be pretty good street/strip type cam ... if it has already been run for a while, the lash should hardly change unless something wrong is happening.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 9th 2012, 12:20 pm

Your wife sounds smart!!! Shit that isn't a big cam at all I ran a .650/.670 lift solid flat on the street as a daily driver for years (except in the winter up here that thing hated 20* temps).
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 February 9th 2012, 12:21 pm

It's funny (not poking fun at the OP) but it's not been that many years ago all engines were solid flat tappets.

Years ago rollers were an exotic piece that most people couldn't afford, we ran solid flat tappets for thousands of miles with what was called in the day as normal maintenance, (Lash check every 10-15000 miles) with zero problems.

The deal with zinc being removed from our oils some years ago has put a negative spin on running flat tappet cams.

Flat tappet cam lobes are made from mild to wild, and some thought needs to be added to determine how and where it is to be ran. And also how much money you want to spend.

A good street solid flat tappet can make great power and last 100,000 miles if maintained properly.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 February 9th 2012, 12:34 pm

512Fairlane wrote:Anyone running solid lifters on the street? How often do you have to check lash? The wife just told me we are putting the big block in her 57 Fairlane. She doesn't want to play around with a little 302. Go big or go home she says. I'm going to use the old 460 bracket motor. It has a solid lifter Crower cam. .536" Intake 290 duration, .554" exhaust 298 degrees, 247 and 251 degrees at .050". Should I switch to a milder hydraulic flat tappet or try this one first. It has ported Doves, Weiand Stealth, KB flat top pistons, roller rockers. It ran low 11's in my car at 3500 lbs. I will be putting lower compression pistons in it. Thanks, Mike

the smallest soild cam we run on or in street cars is a .588 605, these are driven to 75 to 100 miles away car shows etc. .536 is way small
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  JACKAZZFLATZ February 9th 2012, 1:33 pm

I run a Lunati Bracket Master II cam in my '57 (Chebby 2-door) with BBF. Idles against stock converter fine, with a 3.00 gear. Solid lifters on the cam tames it down some, however. Does makes a great hi-way runner.
JACKAZZFLATZ
JACKAZZFLATZ

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 February 9th 2012, 5:29 pm

im running a street rod with a solid flat with power brakes and have drove lots of miles 258 258 @.050 .615 .615

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt February 9th 2012, 7:34 pm

I ran a 268/279 @.050 with 13:1 compression on a 111 LSA and the cam before that it was 260/268 @ .050 on a 108 LSA, same compression. Both were advanced 4 degrees. It would even sit and idle in rush hour like ever other car. I always ran VR1 20-50w oil and it looked great after almost 2 yrs. No problems at all.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 9th 2012, 8:36 pm

Being that you have the cam and lifters , in hand and paid for , I'd give them a shot.

Given the context of the cyl. heads and street use I don't see the bang for the buck in buying a new cam/fifter combo to get more lift.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Who runs solid lifter (non-roller) cams on the street?  Is this cam too big? Empty Good!

Post  512Fairlane February 9th 2012, 11:30 pm

I was hoping I could get away with it. It was fairly mild mannered driving around the pits in the race car but I never took it for spin down the highway or sat in traffic with it.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave February 9th 2012, 11:42 pm

The life of your "solid lifter camshaft" will mostly rely on the valve spring pressure and idle time. Keep spring pressure moderate (street use) and idle time to a minimum, add some type of zinc additive and IMO, you'll be fine.

As to the camshaft's specs, although you didn't mention (or I overlooked) trans type or converter stall, it's in the ballpark.

Just my B.S.,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 10th 2012, 11:01 am

Does your wife's car have vacuum power brakes? If it does you may need to cam the engine to address that.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  512Fairlane February 10th 2012, 2:18 pm

Lem we were planning on putting power brakes on it. Is there any chance this cam would make enough vacuum? I might consider a vacuum cannister or even a hydroboost set up off of a later model Mustang.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 10th 2012, 4:36 pm

I'm not an expert on that but, I doubt it.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty February 10th 2012, 10:05 pm

I ran a hyd flat cam that was about 235 on the intake side, with a 472 and was on the edge for enough vacuum for power brakes. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down