BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing and carb tuning

3 posters

Go down

Timing and carb tuning Empty Timing and carb tuning

Post  torkair January 24th 2012, 12:54 am

Well I've got the 73 up and running but I'm having some trouble with the fine tuning of things now. The carb is a 650 Speed Demon DP with quick fuel metering blocks, power valve delete, and is jetted 66/70 right now. The dizzy is a fully mechanical Mallory Unilite with a hyfire coil. The problem that I am having is that the engine stumbles off idle and will backfire through the carb quite frequently. I think I may have the a/f mixture going pretty well but I think the timing is coming in way too late and causing it to fire retarded (which is why I am glad the carb has the power valve delete). Looking for any input that can get this beast running properly so that it can become my daily driver.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Timing and carb tuning Empty Re: Timing and carb tuning

Post  jrocco January 31st 2012, 9:47 am

torkair wrote:Well I've got the 73 up and running but I'm having some trouble with the fine tuning of things now. The carb is a 650 Speed Demon DP with quick fuel metering blocks, power valve delete, and is jetted 66/70 right now. The dizzy is a fully mechanical Mallory Unilite with a hyfire coil. The problem that I am having is that the engine stumbles off idle and will backfire through the carb quite frequently. I think I may have the a/f mixture going pretty well but I think the timing is coming in way too late and causing it to fire retarded (which is why I am glad the carb has the power valve delete). Looking for any input that can get this beast running properly so that it can become my daily driver.

What is the intended use for this engine? Strip - Street - Crusin?
jrocco
jrocco

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair January 31st 2012, 10:03 pm

Street/strip DD. I've done quite a bit of tuning and have made pretty good progress, I took the carb apart and replaced all the gaskets and reset the float levels. My latest problem is that the boosters were kicking in way too early and dumping too much fuel and now my plugs are carbon fouled. I've got double shifts for the next couple days, but as soon as I get a day off I'll be right back at it!
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 February 1st 2012, 12:10 am

check timing,and the advance first
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content