BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

429 is Bellhousing plate needed - Manual Tran

2 posters

Go down

429 is Bellhousing plate needed - Manual Tran Empty 429 is Bellhousing plate needed - Manual Tran

Post  Speedwaypj January 14th 2012, 10:27 am

I've been searching - looks like the Auto tranny needs the Engine Plate (between bellhousing and engine). I have a 1969 429 - I've built for a Cobra project. It came with a bellhousing and clutch for a manual tranny. I've been carring this around with me for about 40 yrs - and I didn't think I lost anything but I don't have a plate.
Do I need this plate ? all it would seem to do is move the Bellhousing back about .060" ? doesn't seem significant. However I do need to enclose the lower section in front of the flywheel to keep small animals out.
Where would I get one if I need it?
THanks,
PJ

Speedwaypj

Back to top Go down

429 is Bellhousing plate needed - Manual Tran Empty Re: 429 is Bellhousing plate needed - Manual Tran

Post  Wheelie58 January 14th 2012, 12:34 pm

PJ
The "block plate" has a very important primary function. It accurately locates the starter by the registering "ring" of the starter end plate. Without the plate, the mounting bolts are the only points of reference for the starter and its relationship to the ring gear. Of course, the plate also helps seal the lower bell housing area to keep contaminants out of the clutch and starter area.
I have a nice design for the plate and can help you with this...
Just give me a call. 678-458-2033
Thanks
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down