BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swapping out carbs: choke question

4 posters

Go down

Swapping out carbs: choke question Empty Swapping out carbs: choke question

Post  sm3570 December 24th 2011, 11:39 pm

I have a 429 from a 1970 T-bird, and I'm swapping out the stock 4300 with a Holley. The 4300 had a heat assisted choke, and the tube ran down into the intake then back up to the choke. Should I completely eliminate the choke tube? If so, is there a part made that I can cap the hole in the intake manifold with? Or, should I cut and cap the heater tube? Maybe remove the heater tube, thread the holes the tube ran through and plug the holes with bolts? Any direction or suggestions are appreciated.

sm3570

Back to top Go down

Swapping out carbs: choke question Empty Re: Swapping out carbs: choke question

Post  jc10000rpm December 24th 2011, 11:49 pm

the heat comes from a exhaust gas port that runs thru the intake......... if the carb u use does not have provisions for the "stove pipe" it must be electric choke, in fact lots of oem electric chokes even had provisions for stove pipe, never the less any way u can cap it of is acceptable the threads used are standard tubing compression threads.

jc10000rpm

Back to top Go down

Post  sm3570 December 25th 2011, 12:02 am

jc10000rpm wrote:the heat comes from a exhaust gas port that runs thru the intake......... if the carb u use does not have provisions for the "stove pipe" it must be electric choke, in fact lots of oem electric chokes even had provisions for stove pipe, never the less any way u can cap it of is acceptable the threads used are standard tubing compression threads.

Yeah, I'm thinking of just capping them. Got to figure out exactly how to do that. I suppose they don't HAVE to be capped because they aren't vacuum lines, but it would look cleaner for sure.

sm3570

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 December 25th 2011, 1:56 am

sm3570 wrote:
jc10000rpm wrote:the heat comes from a exhaust gas port that runs thru the intake......... if the carb u use does not have provisions for the "stove pipe" it must be electric choke, in fact lots of oem electric chokes even had provisions for stove pipe, never the less any way u can cap it of is acceptable the threads used are standard tubing compression threads.

Yeah, I'm thinking of just capping them. Got to figure out exactly how to do that. I suppose they don't HAVE to be capped because they aren't vacuum lines, but it would look cleaner for sure.

( I suppose they don't HAVE to be capped because they aren't vacuum lines,)
That line that comes out of the choke is a sucks air.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave December 27th 2011, 10:12 pm

On the factory choke setup you mention, neither tube draws vacuum from the intake manifold. Just remove them and your off to the races. The higher the voltage used on an electric choke, the faster it will heat (pull open). Look for a 12 volt key switched source.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  sm3570 December 28th 2011, 4:06 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:On the factory choke setup you mention, neither tube draws vacuum from the intake manifold. Just remove them and your off to the races. The higher the voltage used on an electric choke, the faster it will heat (pull open). Look for a 12 volt key switched source.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, that's what I figured. I'm gonna go that route, I appreciate the feedback.

sm3570

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down