BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will a Fox Mustang computer run an EFI big block?

+3
71f150
dfree383
Lee in Texas
7 posters

Go down

Will a Fox Mustang computer run an EFI big block?  Empty Will a Fox Mustang computer run an EFI big block?

Post  Lee in Texas September 25th 2011, 1:36 am

Can the factory computer just be reprogrammed? I want to build a big block with 500-600hp. My goal is a weekend warrior that could be driven anywhere. Factory block and cleaned up heads. Maybe a stroker.

Thanks.

Lee in Texas

Back to top Go down

Will a Fox Mustang computer run an EFI big block?  Empty Re: Will a Fox Mustang computer run an EFI big block?

Post  dfree383 September 25th 2011, 6:09 am

With all the new stuff avaliable I'd look into some aftermarket stuff before I started to play with the factory parts. Something Like a FAST system?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Will a Fox Mustang computer run an EFI big block?  Empty Re: Will a Fox Mustang computer run an EFI big block?

Post  71f150 September 25th 2011, 8:19 am

A lot of the factory ECUs are reprogrammable but you'll have to buy some hardware to do it. SCT and Delta Force tuning come to mind. I've reprogrammed a bunch using the Delta Force unit and I got precisely the results I wanted. You'd be surprised what you can do with an "OEM" box.
Typically you can adjust things like:
Entire fuel map
Entire timing map
Knock Control
Air / Water temp compensations
MAF transfer function
Transmission shift points and hardness
Gear / Tyre size RPM calculation
2-Step (I've done this and it worked really quite well indeed when you consider it's really only supposed to be an OEM ECU)
Rev limiter
Speed limiter
Fuel pump control
EGR system
Oxygen Sensor position
Closed loop lambda
Open loop lambda
Idle
Throttle tip-in
Cold start / Hot start
Ride control
Cooling Fans
Air con

The list goes on. In a lot of cases you can reprogram just about every function the ECU originally controlled. Sometimes you can't - it depends on the ECU and the programming unit you're using.

Don't be fooled - the original ECU is mighty powerful and a lot better than a lot of aftermarket stuff.

71f150

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 25th 2011, 9:10 pm

I would do a megasquirt deal. very affordable and completely tunable.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Will a Fox Mustang computer run an EFI big block?  Empty massflo

Post  1fatcat September 29th 2011, 12:13 pm

yes i am running a Massflo brand EFI fuel injection system on my 1969 cougar 460 and that is the basic system that the kit uses,is the old 5.0 ECM plus alot of the ford sensors. so i am sure you could build a DYI system for yours ? when you order the kits massflo programs the ecm for your engine combo. the Massflo FI system is great for me but had a few issues with the fuel regulater and a coil that wasnt strong enough for racing. other than that no major issues.
1fatcat
1fatcat

Back to top Go down

Post  D-Rail September 29th 2011, 7:01 pm

Did they change the 5.0 fireing order to match the 460?

D-Rail

Back to top Go down

Post  1fatcat September 29th 2011, 7:24 pm

i guess they did becouse it was prettymuch a plug and play on my part . they suplied a modified mallory distributer for a 460 that had the ford electronics mounted on it. but it was 460 firing order . dont no if the fireing order is the same for a 5.0 ? but they use the same ecm on all there kits for GM, Chrysler. ECT.check out there web sight or give them a call
1fatcat
1fatcat

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 29th 2011, 7:32 pm

460 & 302are the same firing order but that doesnt really matter anyway because you can arrange the plug wires and injectors to any firing order. That system is most likely batch fire anyway.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  D-Rail September 29th 2011, 8:12 pm

Yes you can move the injector plug but you wind up lying to the ECU and one side gets lean and the other gets rich

BBF 15426378 Most 5.0 Ecu fireing orders are 13726548 which gives you a/f mixture issues on a BBF

D-Rail

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 29th 2011, 9:29 pm

D-Rail wrote:Yes you can move the injector plug but you wind up lying to the ECU and one side gets lean and the other gets rich

BBF 15426378 Most 5.0 Ecu fireing orders are 13726548 which gives you a/f mixture issues on a BBF

It's a bank to bank system. How are you lying to the ecu. It could care less what engine it id on. It will fire in a predetermined order. Just make sure you put it on thr engine in that order. No big deal.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  D-Rail September 29th 2011, 9:36 pm

not on mass air sequential that Im trying to use

D-Rail

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 29th 2011, 9:43 pm

D-Rail wrote:not on mass air sequential that Im trying to use

cool you have a seq. But that doesnt matter. Put the injector harness in the correct order. Thsts all that matters. Sounds like you are making this too hard. We install fuel injection all the time. Dont over think it.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 30th 2011, 6:26 pm

The Megasquirt is completely programmable anyway. You tell it what sensors you have, cubic inch, and program what you want your A/f to be for given throttle input and MAP input and RPM. Then you put it on autotune with a wideband and go drive it. The autotune will get your drivability, cruise, and part throttle very close then you go back in with a laptop and smooth out your fuel maps and timing and voila.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 30th 2011, 6:27 pm

D-Rail wrote:not on mass air sequential that Im trying to use
Forget about Mass Air. Get a MAP sensor tuneable Speed Density system and move into this millenium.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down