BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Traction treatment

5 posters

Go down

Traction treatment Empty Traction treatment

Post  nuclearcobra July 5th 2011, 3:20 pm

What kind have you guys tried ? i've used formula-v several times before with good results, i just wondered what else is good and i always wondered what its made out of ,it says contains petroleum distillate. I also have heard guys putting kerosene or wd40 on there slicks to get them soft and biting again.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Traction treatment Empty Re: Traction treatment

Post  whatbumper July 5th 2011, 4:12 pm

I use new slicks Very Happy

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 5th 2011, 4:45 pm

whatbumper wrote:I use new slicks Very Happy

X 2 lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE July 5th 2011, 4:47 pm

richter69 wrote:
whatbumper wrote:I use new slicks Very Happy

X 2 lol.
What they said. Laughing

These tire traction "treatments" pretty much do more harm than good in the long run. They are basically destroying the chemical bonds in the existing rubber surface (aka "melting"). After the "treatment" the rubber surface might in fact feel softer, but it also has less strength/structure than before.

Many years ago I tried one brand on a set of old slicks, the traction didn't improve one bit. Only thing that did happen was after the treatment the tread surface of the slicks would feather-up (rip up, ocean wave, or whatever you want to call it) much, much worse than before.

Besides these traction treatments can't bringing "back to life" something just as important as the tread surface........the sidewalls.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 July 5th 2011, 9:14 pm

back when I had a racing go kart we used a mixture can't remmeber what all we put in it but we went to the local paint store but like has been said I don't know if I would want to do my slicks on the truck it did soften the tires but if I didn't treat them everyweek before the race thay would not grip they would just get harder than were before they was ever treated but to make 3 gals cost about $45 back then that was about 12 years ago
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper July 5th 2011, 11:18 pm

I wasn't trying to piss anyone off but the "tread" is usually the last thing to go on a slick. The sidewalls are usually dead by then either from the beating of use or dry rotted from sitting.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra July 6th 2011, 8:32 am

You didn't piss me off Very Happy i've only used formula v before thats why i was curious what else is out there that works that good. I always had good results with it and yes it dropped my 60' times every time and it didn't eat the tread up in any way. I never have tried it on really old hard slicks mine were always in good shape when i did it, i just wanted the extra bite,years ago a buddy said he tried the vht track bite and it wasent worth a crap,maybe thats the brand thats kills the tread ?
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum