BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damn E4OD,.... in my 97 Powerstroke

5 posters

Go down

Damn E4OD,.... in my 97 Powerstroke Empty Damn E4OD,.... in my 97 Powerstroke

Post  Copperhead June 24th 2011, 7:12 am

25k on this thing (rebuilt by a place in Abbeville, SC where the ford dealership farms out all their tranny work) and it died. I mean DEAD.

On my way to Joliet, 400 miles from home pulling my open trailer w/ race-truck (about 6500lbs total) I heard a loud pop/bang. Pulled over to see if I could figure out the trouble and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Started back on the road, I noticed it shifting hard. Looked down and saw the O/D light blinking, so evidently it went into limp mode.

Pulled over again & turned the key off, hoping it was just the ECM detecting coverter clutch slippage. That worked for about 500ft of driving and the O/D light stated flashing again. Didn't have much choice, as I had to keep going. After another 30 miles or so,.....BAMN the truck suddenly died on I-65. Took 3 or 4 attemps before I could get it to start, but after that NOTHING. No forward or reverse gears at all.

This thing has never gave me the slightest hint of trouble. Always performed great. It's got some sort of no name "Billet" torque converter, according to the paperwork I received when I bought the truck. I installed a performance valve body shortly after.

I've had tranny issues in the past with other vehicles that I've owned and come to accept those, as a part of hot-rodding and the "joy" of owning a performance vehicle, but 400 miles from home with race-truck in tow absolutely SUCKS.

If it wasn't for some good friends, I would have been SOL.

Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Damn E4OD,.... in my 97 Powerstroke Empty Re: Damn E4OD,.... in my 97 Powerstroke

Post  cooter June 24th 2011, 8:03 am

it never fails, always something to mess up the day. I debated using an e40d but my tranny building buddy said they are problomatic so i chose 4l80 instead. Have you determined what happened? Cracked drum, converter?

cooter

Back to top Go down

Damn E4OD,.... in my 97 Powerstroke Empty Re: Damn E4OD,.... in my 97 Powerstroke

Post  richter69 June 24th 2011, 8:31 am

Hard to say what let go without opening it up, the E4/4R is a very tough and reliable trans when all the right parts are installed. I have seen the high dollar aftermarket PI converter take a dump as well.......sometimes stuff happens.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea June 24th 2011, 12:28 pm

Keith,

That really blows. Sorry about the bad luck. If you weren't so far away you could use my truck.

D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike July 1st 2011, 9:48 pm

Keith, sorry about the trans troubles.
It sounds like you had trouble near where I live.
Hope you got it home ok.

mike
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down