BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT

+11
BigBlockRanger
scottke
Blue Oval Forever
LivermoreDave
DanH
ThndrChkn
the Coug
billandlori
cool40
AZFairlane
jbozzelle
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT Empty EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT

Post  jbozzelle May 6th 2011, 10:58 pm

Even though the dragster is toast there is some good to come out of it. Months ago I tried to track down the guy I sold my 78 Futura to 6 years ago. Well, last night he called me. Seems like one of those answering machines I left messages on was his after all. He's since sold the car to a friend but neither one of them have done a thing to it since I sold it. He put me in touch with his friend and he agreed to sell it back to me.

Just need to find a place to keep it for now and I'll call him up to go get it. Might be a while until I finish it but at least I'll have it back. I bought the car back in 1992 and had it until 2005. I hated to sell it at the time but had one too many toys and a wife who didn't care too much for it. Well now that I'm divorced I told myself I was going to track it down and buy it back. Looks like things are finally looking up...

I'm thinking a little pump gas 408/C4 combo would be nice... Or my maybe a flat top 466 combo...

Last edited by jbozzelle on May 8th 2011, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT Empty Re: EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT

Post  AZFairlane May 6th 2011, 11:28 pm

Good to see some interest in the "other" fox bodies, good luck with it. I hope I'll have my Zephyr running pretty soon. cheers
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT Empty Re: EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT

Post  cool40 May 7th 2011, 12:55 am

you shoulda got the divorce first.lol but i'm sure you know that now.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori May 7th 2011, 3:00 am

Sounds very cool John!! Do you have any pics of the car??

I miss my old Fairmont, one guy I beat said it was "Sneaky fast"!!

EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT Scan0006

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug May 7th 2011, 4:01 am

John why noy put the engine and trans out of your Dragster in the Fairmont,it should take the same parts as in a Mustang... Twisted Evil
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 7th 2011, 11:20 am

the Coug wrote:John why noy put the engine and trans out of your Dragster in the Fairmont,it should take the same parts as in a Mustang... Twisted Evil

I was thinkin' the same thing?? It's OK to buy your old stuff back. Just ask me. Laughing Laughing I sold the Banana back in Oct. & got it back in Jan. Some tings are just meant to be I guess... Laughing But I'm glad I got it back.
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH May 7th 2011, 11:59 am

when your old car is back home , let the ex know . know the wrong one went down the road back then . some wish we could a car back

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave May 7th 2011, 12:32 pm

With a little lipstick they don't make to bad of a race car!
Dave.

EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT J312-1

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 7th 2011, 1:04 pm

Man, I love that body style. I can't find a god one up here, or I'd have built one of those instead...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 8th 2011, 12:08 pm

Well. I went and picked it up yesterday. The guy I sold it too is a die hard Ford guy as well as the guy he sold the car too. They didn't do anything to the car since I sold it to them. So needless to say my partially finished Mustang is now up for sale and the Futura will be getting the 514/glide combo as well as finishing the mini tub job. Think I'm going to try a set of aftermarket uppers/lowers as well as a bolt in 9" deal. I had mocked up a 10" wheel with some 12" slicks under there before I sold it. I'll be going that route again. Was thinking about ladder bars but I'm going to look at the stock style stuff again and see what's out there. I think the stock style stuff will get it done.

The guy who had the car has a 78 F100 pickup with a 466 and some spray. It runs 7.20s in the 1/8 at 4200 lbs... I told him about this website so hopefully he checks it out. It was nice to meet another guy who's into the big Fords.

EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT IMG_0519

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 8th 2011, 12:11 pm

billandlori wrote:Sounds very cool John!! Do you have any pics of the car??

I plan to start a thread in the build section.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Oval Forever May 8th 2011, 8:10 pm

jbozzelle wrote:EDIT - I bought my old race car back! - EDIT IMG_0519

WOW, I havent seen that car in a long time. I should have bought it when it was still Blakes car.

What happened to the dragster?
Blue Oval Forever
Blue Oval Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke May 8th 2011, 8:14 pm

If your going with stock suspension stuff, check out Racecraft. They have some really nice stuff. Just put thier billit uppers on mine.
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 8th 2011, 9:50 pm

Blue Oval Forever wrote:

WOW, I havent seen that car in a long time. I should have bought it when it was still Blakes car.

Bobby

Keep this on the down low. Only Jeff, Rene and my family know I have it back. I'd lime to keep it that way until I roll it out around the end of summer. Might sound corny but I'm sure some people will like seeing that car again. After all it's one of the old "street cars" from back in the day.

Rene rolled the dragster at NPR 2 Wednesday's ago. Chassis is a loss.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue Oval Forever May 8th 2011, 11:38 pm

jbozzelle wrote:
Blue Oval Forever wrote:

Bobby

Keep this on the down low. Only Jeff, Rene and my family know I have it back. I'd lime to keep it that way until I roll it out around the end of summer. Might sound corny but I'm sure some people will like seeing that car again. After all it's one of the old "street cars" from back in the day.

Rene rolled the dragster at NPR 2 Wednesday's ago. Chassis is a loss.

WOW, Didnt know Rene cashed. Glad he is OK.

No Problem on keeping getting the Fairmont back on the down low.
Blue Oval Forever
Blue Oval Forever

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle May 9th 2011, 12:07 am

Bobby,

My Mustang is for sale since I got the Fairmont back. I know money is tight all around for people but if you know someone looking for a backhalf 4-link project let them know. Not sure how much I'd need to get out of it but it's definitely for sale.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH May 9th 2011, 7:29 am

Only two others plus your family know you have the car back ! Yes , no one else knows.

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger May 9th 2011, 9:31 am

Dang are those 'W's on the front? lol
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 9th 2011, 11:49 am

I would think about the stock susp. stuff pretty hard.I built mine when there was alot of stock susp. stuff going on around here.I run 6.0 index with it mostly.Now they allow full tube cars in and it is very hard to compete with a 2200 lb car with a 4 link.They react so much faster and run so consistant.Just saying it is a bigger handy cap than I would like and if I was starting a new car now I would look into a back half or at least ladderbars.By the time it is said and done it is prob. cheaper to go that route than a stock susp. They are very picky once you get in 6.20 range and they EAT tires. We finally have mine working pretty good but I am still considering doing a back half on mine.If I do that I'll have some good stock susp stuff for sale.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave May 9th 2011, 11:17 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:I would think about the stock susp. stuff pretty hard

Good advise! There's a lot not told when they sell you those "stock replacement" parts! To make that stuff work, you will need to do plenty of fabricating and have the knowledge where the fabricating takes place!

Just my $0.02,
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 10th 2011, 10:03 am

Tons of welding , braceing and boxing things up to give it support.Mine is even tied in from the main cage to pick up points of the susp.It will tear the out of the frame and ruin your carplease don't ask how I know this Shocked
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 May 10th 2011, 10:28 am

Its a little work, but stock stuff can work and live. MY Yellow car ran for years on stock stuff, but was reapired several times and was a little hacked before I put the bak half in.

I wouldn't back half it untill its plain wore out, better to keep the project simple and working rather than biting off a massive project to start with.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 10th 2011, 11:22 am

That is why I went back and tied the upper and lower pick up points into the cage.It made a rock solid set up. I have not had on breakage as far as the susp.goes.It has been run hard on some rough tracks.Killed some shocks and that kind of thing,but It works good as long it in adjustment.What I was saying is that by the time everything is said and done it would be about the same cost for a good back half vs a good stock susp. car.Plus if you run them hard you don't get alot of pass's out of a set of tires.I get about four weeks of racing out of a set of slicks before they start going away.They have plenty of rubber left but the side walls give out. I was getting pretty much a full season with a big tire car running about the same times. Just in what somebody wants I guess. as the old sayig goes "all I want is a little more than I'll ever get" !
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper May 10th 2011, 12:58 pm

minitub the thing and run some 29.5W's if you want a bigger tire that last longer they will fit fine. stock stuff will rip out when you hit the tires too hard and some other reasons. We braced ours with some scrap metal and it is tied to the cage but everything is in stock location as far as mounting points and we've been in the teens at times on 60' (and don't try to tell me that our small block "doesn't have the torque" that a big block has without understanding turbos and what they do) . Those stupid lift bars and some of the others on the market that changes geometry to tend to be harder on the car though.

a lot of the aftermarket stuff flexes too much so you need to find good parts like Wolfe, Team Z or some others on the market (including ours Wink ).

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing May 10th 2011, 3:26 pm

My car has a combo of team z and wolf. Breakage is not a problem at all. My combo is a simple one alum cj head 533 one carb on gas 60 foots run around 1.24 to 1.26.Should be much better when I bring on the juice.I have a simple progressive type that picked my last motor up about 5 tenths[very conservative] My car is not a state of the art piece but it is well built .I have many many pass's in it.any one who knows any thing at about turbo's know what kind of torque thet are able to make no matter what size the motor . Esp with the new type cams that built the exhaust vol. so fast.I'm not sure what type car you have or where you run.Around here we have mostly small tracks that are marginal at best. It is very hard to keep a small tire car hooked up under the conditions that I run in,track conditions,money ect... All that I am saying is that if you are building a car for FUN and not for a piticular class or limitations and are starting basicaly a new It is about the same cost and you will wind up with a car that is easyer to run easyer to get down the track and will be more competitive if you go index racing ie 6.00 h/u or bracket racing.I have had both that is my opinion and I do nothing more or less.
Bottom line is you should build what you can afford and enjoy no matter what that is.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next