BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a pisser ready to fire it up and water leak

+2
Wheelie58
nuclearcobra
6 posters

Go down

What a pisser ready to fire it up and water leak  Empty What a pisser ready to fire it up and water leak

Post  nuclearcobra April 30th 2011, 10:15 pm

This is my 9th motor and no leaks yet (1st 460 full build) others were 7 302's 1 351w well last thing was putting water in it and it ran out of the timing cover where it bolts to the block on the drivers side,it was coming from the little channel thats around the water port in the cover that looks like a little hole if you look up at it from under the car. So what i tried for a temp fix is took out the bolt and blew it out with brakeclean and air several times and it came out the leak spot between the cover and block and then i put that black aviation/indian sealer (whatever its called) on the bolt threads twice and ran it in there but not happy with that i sucked up a clear tube of that crap and put the hose in the hole untill it bottemed out in the block & blew it full of sealer 3 times untill it ran out the hole Shocked but still not sure that would do it i sucked up a syringe full of it i have for mixing weed eater fuel and filled the hole under pressure and ran the bolt in and the sealer was oozing out of the leak spot, so i hope this works Rolling Eyes i,ll try it monday if it still leaks i,ll get a new cover this one is 41 years old.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What a pisser ready to fire it up and water leak  Empty Re: What a pisser ready to fire it up and water leak

Post  Wheelie58 April 30th 2011, 10:37 pm

That can be a finicky area to seal with a OE timing cover that is "experienced" and maybe a little eroded.
I have had the same problem. I am sure you will get it taken care of. Those timing cover bolt holes can get pretty nasty, so if you didn't... it is a good idea to run a thread cleaning tap through them to get a good clamping quality there.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

What a pisser ready to fire it up and water leak  Empty Re: What a pisser ready to fire it up and water leak

Post  bb429power April 30th 2011, 10:53 pm

What about the JB? I hope you get it going, fire that bad boy up!
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 1st 2011, 1:00 am

mine leaked when i changed the cam last year but it did stop after i fired it and got it hot.changed the cam back and it leaked again and again it quit after i ran it.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra May 1st 2011, 6:44 am

Yes i run a thread cleaning tap in all the holes in the block before i power wash them, i do it untill i can run every single bolt all the way in with my fingers and if i feel anything i do it again, im very anal about how clean i make everything before i start a build. And yes the timing cover was nasty somewhat ,im wondering if i opened up some pinholes i cant see when i powerwashed them,maybe i should've put them in the bead blaster instead ? This wasen't a drip drip it was a steady stream which is why i thought its a crack or pinhole. And Justin i wanted to try and stop the leak where it started first before i try to cover it from the outside heck its worth a try the big plastic syringe i used fit snug in the hole so i blasted that dark sealer in there good.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

What a pisser ready to fire it up and water leak  Empty Found a billit timing cover very nice

Post  nuclearcobra May 1st 2011, 9:20 am

I been searching the web thismorning looking for timing covers other than factory units and finally found this one from www.garrettmachine.com it looks killer but i bet its pricey i'll find out monday.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn May 1st 2011, 9:37 am

If you find out that the cover is bad, I have 4 or 5 of them here, a couple are still on all original engines. I'll give ya one. Just let me know. Very Happy
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra May 1st 2011, 11:18 am

Thanks Doug i'll let ya know.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 May 1st 2011, 12:10 pm

get a danny bee and you'll have one. Razz
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra May 3rd 2011, 1:26 am

Leak fixed Very Happy
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea May 3rd 2011, 12:22 pm

I'm pretty sure Lem stocks new covers.
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra May 3rd 2011, 2:29 pm

He does
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down