BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options?

5 posters

Go down

crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options? Empty crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options?

Post  Slaughtrhousjak September 4th 2009, 1:26 am

alternator will be the only thing belt drivin. just ordered alternator brackets (C8VE-10156-A and C8VE-10145-A). still need to get alt. and pulleys. my question is what case style and matching crank pulley do i need to shop for? want to avoid any pulley offset and ratio issues. if alt. pully is needed will i need to look for a fan or will one on new alt. work with any pully. ive seen one , two, and i think three, groove crank pulleys. would like to have a single groove but i understand that may or may not be available. any balancer (stock balancer, D1VE block) issues with pulley options? thinking about buyin a int. reg. single wire alt. from summit. so far i see 1G and 2G case styles. is there any issues with one of these and the MSD pro billet dist. or a 6AL or 6AL2 box? and one last thing, AMPs. what amp range should i look for? all accessories will be elect. thanks for the help guys. sorry bout so many ?s in one post.Embarassed

crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options? Fordalt1

crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options? Fordalt2

crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options? Cid__pic_0610jpg7
Slaughtrhousjak
Slaughtrhousjak

Back to top Go down

crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options? Empty Re: crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options?

Post  Mark Miller September 4th 2009, 1:37 am

If you make up some spacers like my buddy did for me you can use a serpentine belt.I'm using a 87-93 5.0 Mustang crank pulley and a modified 88 T-Bird waterpump pulley.If your car came with a 5.0 or 4 cylinder you can just use your stock alternator and possibly your waterpump pulley.I can send you some pictures if you get me your e-mail address,i'm going away for the weekend so i might not get pictures to you until Sunday if you want them.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options? Empty Re: crank pulley and alternator/fan/pulley options?

Post  Slaughtrhousjak September 4th 2009, 1:44 am

Mark Miller wrote:If you make up some spacers like my buddy did for me you can use a serpentine belt.I'm using a 87-93 5.0 Mustang crank pulley and a modified 88 T-Bird waterpump pulley.If your car came with a 5.0 or 4 cylinder you can just use your stock alternator and possibly your waterpump pulley.I can send you some pictures if you get me your e-mail address,i'm going away for the weekend so i might not get pictures to you until Sunday if you want them.

Later Mark.

as a matter of fact i do have all my 5.0 parts and an 87 T/C in the yard. but im gonna be usein an elect. water pump. also will the stock 5.0 alt. support all elect. accessories? thanks for the input Mark.
Slaughtrhousjak
Slaughtrhousjak

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller September 4th 2009, 11:39 pm

I don't know if the 5.0 alternator will work or not if it's good it wouldn't hurt to try.I'm using the 4 cylinder alternator on my car.I have a electric fuel pump and electric fan,but only use the electric fan when it gets hot out.I still have a waterpump driven fan and only use the electric fan now and then.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer September 5th 2009, 12:58 am

I had a machinist friend remove 1 groove from a 3 groove pulley... looks totally different and should give me a good bit of extra room.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Slaughtrhousjak September 5th 2009, 2:58 am

what alt. came on a D1VE block(1973)? think ill start from there and build off that. 1G or 2G, or will eather work? ive seen the 1G labled as a one wire. is this correct?
Slaughtrhousjak
Slaughtrhousjak

Back to top Go down

Post  mac460 September 5th 2009, 3:04 am

you can take a stock 3 grove pulley and drill out the spot welds and get a single big grove pulley or a 2 grove pulley

i will see if i can get some pics in a few days
mac460
mac460

Back to top Go down

Post  Slaughtrhousjak September 5th 2009, 3:07 am

mac460 wrote:you can take a stock 3 grove pulley and drill out the spot welds and get a single big grove pulley or a 2 grove pulley

wish i could. started w/ a bare block. gotta piece it all togeather.
Slaughtrhousjak
Slaughtrhousjak

Back to top Go down

Post  Slaughtrhousjak September 5th 2009, 12:10 pm

k, heres what ive come up with. 1G(large case), single wire, 100 amp alt. options from summit are power master and tuff stuff. tuff stuff? anything you can tell me bout these guys? good or bad. not to judge a book by its cover, but .....tuff stuff? SuspectLaughing ok ok. well, wada u think? oh, and heres one more... int. reg. vs ext. reg.... what am i gaining other than hiding a couple wires and the reg. (proly a few bucks too). far as i know, nothing right?
Slaughtrhousjak
Slaughtrhousjak

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 September 5th 2009, 12:58 pm

Ponder this: a 2G, or a 130 amp 3G, with a warranty from Advance Auto parts cheers (or whatever favorite local parts outfit)

The 2G is what I first upgraded to, with the harness from the parts counter (read: cheap!)
I don't think there's any difference size wise other than the 3G's case is a little fatter.

Either one will eliminate the crappy buzz-box external regulator that can be problematic, especially when you draw some amps.
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  Slaughtrhousjak September 7th 2009, 12:43 pm

DFI429 wrote:Ponder this: a 2G, or a 130 amp 3G, with a warranty from Advance Auto parts cheers (or whatever favorite local parts outfit)

The 2G is what I first upgraded to, with the harness from the parts counter (read: cheap!)
I don't think there's any difference size wise other than the 3G's case is a little fatter.

Either one will eliminate the crappy buzz-box external regulator that can be problematic, especially when you draw some amps.

would a 3G case hapen to have the same bolt holes, mounting and spacing as a 1G or 2G? all ready ordered brackets for a 1G or 2G.
TIA
Slaughtrhousjak
Slaughtrhousjak

Back to top Go down

Post  Slaughtrhousjak September 7th 2009, 12:48 pm

DFI429 wrote:

would a 3G case hapen to have the same bolt holes, mounting and spacing as a 1G or 2G? all ready ordered brackets for a 1G or 2G.
TIA[/quote]

oops, Embarassed cool thx! gonna look into it today
Slaughtrhousjak
Slaughtrhousjak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down