BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is th Powerglide such a popular trans for Ford guys?

+6
whitefield
56Tbird
richter69
jbozzelle
dfree383
frank13
10 posters

Go down

Why is th Powerglide such a popular trans for Ford guys? Empty Why is th Powerglide such a popular trans for Ford guys?

Post  frank13 November 12th 2010, 10:55 am

It what al my ford buddies recommend to put in the stang when i go auto.....

why is this?
frank13
frank13

http://www.frankskinkracing.com

Back to top Go down

Why is th Powerglide such a popular trans for Ford guys? Empty Re: Why is th Powerglide such a popular trans for Ford guys?

Post  dfree383 November 12th 2010, 11:22 am

Light weight, Parts Avaliable, 2 speed has advantages in drag racing with big blocks.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Why is th Powerglide such a popular trans for Ford guys? Empty Re: Why is th Powerglide such a popular trans for Ford guys?

Post  frank13 November 12th 2010, 11:45 am

So is this a BETTER choice for a trans in an 02 stang?

I think I want to replace the manual (6 speed) next year and am wanting to start gaining a suitable trans to rebuild over the next few monthes.....

is there a known parts list that needs to be replaced, or a trans from a specific car?
frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 12th 2010, 11:58 am

depends on the useage, you have several options, GM Powerglide, GM th 350/400, Ford C6/C4 and AOD.......

Street use I'd stick with a 3 or 4 speed depending on HP and weight. Drag race only a PG is a good choice.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 12th 2010, 12:02 pm

Crapshoot on a street deal. Any 3 speed would be good depending on the engine's output.

For drag only a Glide is the only way to go. The higher first gear kills some of the effect of the torque which will actually help the car launch nice and easy.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 12th 2010, 7:30 pm

Never understood why you guys think a 2 speed would suck on the street..in a tow rig yes, in a car with some power no..........you get in high gear it done matter anyhow.

If your gonna build for the future and are starting from zero put it into a good powerglide.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  frank13 November 12th 2010, 7:54 pm

mainly a strip car, some street use though for the local cruises, and the occasional late night romp here and there.....

frank13
frank13

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 14th 2010, 1:04 pm

I am with Ricther on this. I think the Glide would make a killer set up for a street car. Both my race cars feel street friendly riding around in the pits or on the road here at home. I may put one in my 66 Comet when I redo it. I'm hoping for a liberty 5 speed ,but don't see it in the budget affraid king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 14th 2010, 7:29 pm

IMO with the 3 speed on the street you can go with a higher gear (say 3.55 due to the lower 1st gear) and be able to run down the highway with out reving the piss out of your motor with say a glide and 4.56`s....... and still get good perfromance.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 14th 2010, 7:57 pm

I drive my junk around the pits in high gear.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield November 14th 2010, 11:39 pm

Beauty is all in the eyes of the beholder! Smile lol! Run whatever makes you happy ! If it is a street car go with three speed and 3.70 gear out back! If it is is a street car with a power glide run 4.56 gears and scream down the high way! Race car street car it doesn't matter run what makes you feel warm and fuzzy not what someone telling you to run! Later Dude cheers Basketball
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 15th 2010, 12:10 am

I run glides because of parts availability, proven reliability, and lastly because EVERY car I put one in goes faster. As far as gears are concerned seems like the less gear I put in cars the faster they seem to go. On my nitrous combo I tried everything from 3.70-4.30 and the 3.70's were about a tenth faster in the 1/8th and we are going to 3.50's this winter on the turbo ride. Both of those were with a glide of course. Well, we like to call it our two speed to separate the Chebby connection. Laughing

Like Jon, we drive it how we want around the pits. We also only do high gear burn outs.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 15th 2010, 12:45 am

the glide can have it's place.parts are very easy to have and if you dont buy some good parts you'll be buyen them later.a c6 would be my choice in a 3-3500lb streetable car unless i wanted to spend the jack for a "good" glide.just the bell setup to bolt it to your bbf will cost enough to dam near build a c6.JMO good luck Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bluovldude November 15th 2010, 2:13 am

[quote="jbozzelle"]Crapshoot on a street deal. Any 3 speed would be good depending on the engine's output.

For drag only a Glide is the only way to go. The higher first gear kills some of the effect of the torque which will actually help the car launch nice and easy. [/i'm with you on this one.quote]

bluovldude

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon November 15th 2010, 8:36 pm

Yeah,I've been going back and forth on the C-4 vs. Glide deal myself.I can get a glide for the same amount of $$$ or maybe a little cheaper than the cost of building a C-4. And already have the glide for when i step up the program with my big engine.About a $1300.00 saving vs. building 2 Trans.---RED
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield November 16th 2010, 12:23 pm

I got a post this parts cost me the same for a Glide c-6 or a c-4 at close to the same hp levels per transmission !
When it is time for a glide depends on what your intended use for the vehicle along with how much torque and hp , and weight of the vehicle is projected to be. It also depends on your wallett and future build or if their are any power adders going larger cubic inch susspension , gear ratio and tire size.

This is the way I rate the transmissions:
C-4 is good up to 800 hp and 750 ftlbs of torque if you want to freshen it up once a year cost 2000.00 dollars to build .
C-6 will Run about double the Hp and tq of the c-4 and cost the same to build. Freshen up as need about never!
power Glide to fit the big or small block Ford also cost me the same to build hp ratiing from 800 to 1000 hp. Freshen up will depend on how long the stock case lives .
If you are going to be happy with a 700 hp 650 ftlbs of tq 2400 to 3400 lbs vehicle and no futer mods or power adders then the c-4 is for you. ( but this never happens if you are a true gear head)
after that a c-6 or a glide is your choice and goes back to the top part of my post what the intended use and out come is.
Power glide would be my choice for limited street use but for a ultimate race ,low maintenance transmission with the abillity to upgrade race car and engine power and out put, and steel be thier for the next race. Good luck ! affraid l
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down