BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6. Slow shifting

+6
the1969fordguyinky
res0rli9
Mav-Rich
TorinoGT
patfromjersey
jbozzelle
10 posters

Go down

C6. Slow shifting Empty C6. Slow shifting

Post  jbozzelle November 2nd 2010, 10:19 pm

Got a C6 that is slow shifting into second and even slower with some flare going into third? Any ideas? Could this be a band or servo issue. It's behind a mild 466 street strip engine. runs low 12s, high 11s now...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

C6. Slow shifting Empty Re: C6. Slow shifting

Post  patfromjersey November 28th 2010, 4:46 pm

I'm having the same problem with mine. It's the one I bought from Rich Talley at the Bash this year. The 1-2 is okay, but the 2-3 is lazy. It has the reverse manual valve/transbrake, but I don't have the transbrake hooked up. On the 3-2 upshift, it feels like it's in neutral, and takes about 8 seconds before it goes into 2nd. I wasted money buying a billet R servo, and put the stronger spring in. Same results. I'm going to jack it up again next weekend, and make sure the cable is adjusted okay, and re-adjust the bands. I don't know much about the C6, so I feel helpless.
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT November 29th 2010, 1:39 am

I had the same problem, my 2-3 shift seemed to take literally seconds. problem ended up being my shift linkage not being properly adjusted. cant rely on the "stops" of a shifter... my 3rd gear stop is way off on my shifter... once I got the linkage dialed in, it fixed my 2-3 shift. hopefully its that simple for you

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle November 29th 2010, 5:32 pm

The trans I was having trouble with was fried... clutches, steels, all of it..... How's the fluid look Pat? This one was burnt bad. Just got it rebuilt and the car went a best of 11.75 so something is working good.

It still seems a little off in regards to the shift detents though. Need to make sure this Cheetah shifter is for a C6 and not a GM.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

C6. Slow shifting Empty C6

Post  Mav-Rich December 2nd 2010, 8:44 pm

I hope its the linkage. If not, I would call TCI and see if could be the Valve Body - again. Like I said, that is the 3rd Valve Body from TCI. I had the first one installed (and they installed that Billet Servo, and checked all of the internals - replaced the high gear clutches, I think) - it had no Trans Break operation at all (It seemed the solonoid was bad). They sent me a replacement and it worked fine for about 8-10 1/8th mi passes, I guess -then the Trans Break started to slip when staged and on the Brake - it would actually creep out of the staging lights. I Called them, sent it back and they sent me a 3rd, which is what you have. It seemed to work fine. I don't remember how many passes I put on it at that point, but it was close to the end of the year, when i decided to go ProCharger and switch to the Glide. I am certain it wasn't 'slipping', because the fluid was good - not browned or burnt.

Rich

Mav-Rich
Mav-Rich

http://www.arcomky.com

Back to top Go down

Post  patfromjersey December 3rd 2010, 8:13 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. The fluid was good when I dropped the pan, and I put all new fluid in there when I installed it. I have a temp gauge for the fluid, and it never got over 180* during my couple hours of driving around town and highway speed. I'm hoping it's the cable adjustment, so I'm going to jack it up and give it another shot tomorrow. I wish I didn't waste my money on another billet servo. Embarassed
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 December 4th 2010, 1:02 am

Did you cut the groove down the servo?. Frank M said that you have to turn down the groove where the o-ring is .007 witch = .014 to make them work right. they are to tight with out doing this.

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the1969fordguyinky January 25th 2011, 4:26 pm

TorinoGT wrote:I had the same problem, my 2-3 shift seemed to take literally seconds. problem ended up being my shift linkage not being properly adjusted. cant rely on the "stops" of a shifter... my 3rd gear stop is way off on my shifter... once I got the linkage dialed in, it fixed my 2-3 shift. hopefully its that simple for you

Shane

Its like a Idea bright ray of hope in my awful C6 world!!! I have this same *(&%&^% problem and have for several years. Two rebuilds and one different valvebody, the R servo, several springs, plugging a port of some sort behind the servo... later I decided there was no more money to fix this particular issue. But now I have something to try. And its free!!!???
the1969fordguyinky
the1969fordguyinky

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 25th 2011, 5:13 pm

Car's been parked getting the brakes upgraded and a few other things. Once the weather gets warmer we'll drag it out and fool with it. Hopefully all we have is a shifter issue. Also check to make sure the shifter itself is for a C6. I know some companies have different part number plates and linkages for different brands.

The trans is now fully rebuilt with a TCI brake. Shifts fine and all. But the shift detents are not firm like they were before. It's hard to "find" a gear now. It's got a Cheetah shifter.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

C6. Slow shifting Empty c6 problems

Post  10SHOTS February 3rd 2011, 1:57 pm

guys my c6 had the same proplems , 2nd to 3rd . i finaly got a good v/b from jay at broader performance and all problems went away . you guys need a good v/b from jay at broader performance or one from frank . i run 9.40s with my c6 and it shifts fast and clean. I have a E lever and a sonax servo with the stock servo spring ,jay claims his v/b will work with any lever and a stock servo.
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 February 3rd 2011, 8:57 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Car's been parked getting the brakes upgraded and a few other things. Once the weather gets warmer we'll drag it out and fool with it. Hopefully all we have is a shifter issue. Also check to make sure the shifter itself is for a C6. I know some companies have different part number plates and linkages for different brands.

The trans is now fully rebuilt with a TCI brake. Shifts fine and all. But the shift detents are not firm like they were before. It's hard to "find" a gear now. It's got a Cheetah shifter.

The trick with the cheetah is to adjust your linkage to match the gates I had to make a arm with the correct ratio to get it right 3.100 from center of shaft to center of linkage. Also I had shifting issues before I did this. One more thing Bob from transking told me that the valvebody can move around on the bolts that hold it in and the valvebody shifting spool could be out of adjustment not covering up a port or fully open. The spool should be flush to the bore when in rev (I think) is hard to explain. just pull the pan and move the shift arm untill you see the spool start to come out of the valve body and there is a detent that puts the spool right at the end of the hole. if it is sticking out or in from the face of the bore loosen the valvebody screws and move it untill its flush retorque them. This helped my second gear alot. I have tried all kinds of levers to try to get rid of the thrid gear shift flair got it, to work real good and then late rounds or in the final it would do it, if I was lucky and won I would dial for it and then it wouldn't do it pissed me off so bad. I guess the flair has cost me atleast 7k in races lost. I got a glide, best thing I have done in a long time highly recommend it if bracket racing. Very Happy I hope this helps just some things I have done I hated putting the glide in but in S/P class you got to be on your game every pass.
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield February 4th 2011, 12:39 pm

Put a good valve body in it! Like one from frank! Have the trans shop or person that builds it check clutch pack clearance. You cant just count how many clutches and steels came out and put that many back in. Clutch pack clearance, thrust clearance, band adjustment and a good valve body works wonders in a c-6 !
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield February 4th 2011, 12:41 pm

10SHOTS wrote:guys my c6 had the same proplems , 2nd to 3rd . i finaly got a good v/b from jay at broader performance and all problems went away . you guys need a good v/b from jay at broader performance or one from frank . i run 9.40s with my c6 and it shifts fast and clean. I have a E lever and a sonax servo with the stock servo spring ,jay claims his v/b will work with any lever and a stock servo.

X2 Very Happy
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  patfromjersey March 19th 2011, 9:07 pm

Just a quick follow up with my shifting problem. I picked up a TCI full manual reverse valve body, without the transbrake, and everything is back to normal. I had one in my old C6 I gave my brother when I went to the 4-speed, so I've had good luck with them. My car is 99% street, so I didn't need anything fancy. It's like a whole different beast now, and it feels much quicker than when I had the 4-speed. I ran out of time today with other things I had to get done, but I can't wait til next weekend to clean her up and take a long cruise down to South Jersey. Cool Thank you everyone for the advice, and trying a valve body before I pulled it out. You saved me a ton of work!
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 20th 2011, 12:35 am

Good Luck Pat,wish you were making the trip to KY, you are gonna be missed this year Sad

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  patfromjersey March 26th 2011, 8:49 am

Thanks Rick. Cool I may be a little deranged, but I may come for just Friday's test and tune, but I'd have to leave on Saturday to be home for the Mother's Day plans with the family. It was all about Friday anyway for me, because that's the most runs I get all year at a track. Laughing It will probably be a last minute deal, because I have to take off Wed and Thu at work that week to make it. Anyways, I'll post some pics of my ride today, later tonight. Cool
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down