BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E85 street use

3 posters

Go down

E85 street use Empty E85 street use

Post  curiousgeorge April 9th 2024, 9:01 pm

Is anyone here running or has ran E85? Thinking very seriously about picking up a carb here locally but I’ve never ran it in a carb vehicle. This will be a street driven 460 w 9.5ish static comp. Pros and cons?

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

E85 street use Empty Re: E85 street use

Post  Dave De April 10th 2024, 8:22 am

I've been running E85 both on the street and and at the track for over a decade. The main reason for using E85 was that I could raise the compression to 14 to 1 thereby making power. There are benefits on a low compression build as well. It's a cleaner burning fuel with a lower EGT that reduces the cooling load and makes more power especially low end torque.
Some fuel systems are not compatible with alcohol. You will burn 25% more fuel than gasoline. At the pump in northern climates they migrate to E70 in the winter which may be a tuning issue but late spring to fall I find that it tests to be 83 to 87. I had a bad load once that seemed to have water in it. I now only buy from gas stations that have good turnover rates.
Dave De
Dave De

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 10th 2024, 10:40 am

IMO at 9.5:1 it would be a waste of time, their is no cost savings over pump gas.

Now bump the compression up to 12:1 now it’s worth looking at.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down