BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High compression and dual batteries

+6
lance flake
QtrWarrior
supervel45
curiousgeorge
John Myrick
BBFTorino
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

High compression and dual batteries - Page 2 Empty Re: High compression and dual batteries

Post  supervel45 May 4th 2023, 2:28 am

BBFTorino wrote:Unfortunately, I cannot use an OEM full size type of starter, as it will not fit with the headers. The good mini starters are between $400-500 Shocked  LOL
But I am thinking of trying the MSD unit.

Well did you try turning the timing down and see if it helped? Or Turning it UP?

Only costs a little time and warm up gas?

Some other good suggestions above, before you drop a bunch of coin on a new starter, or wiring in another box to cause trouble later.

I would also check the standing as well as cranking voltage of the batteries, just to rule it out, unless you are positive that all is good there.

It likely is a weak starter but maybe you can crutch it along for awhile with the timing bit or rule that out as a problem.

Here's another thing to double check.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016/07/22/what-causes-distributor-cap-corrosion-and-deposits-and-how-can-you-avoid-them/

Last edited by supervel45 on May 4th 2023, 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total

supervel45

Back to top Go down

High compression and dual batteries - Page 2 Empty Re: High compression and dual batteries

Post  BBFTorino May 4th 2023, 2:45 am

Oh yeah, turning down the timing certainly helps to start it. But when I'm sitting in the staging lanes, all suited up and belted in, I can't really get out and turn the dist.
I don't want to come on here and complain about prices for a new MSD box and/or a Mezzeire starter, but holy moly!Shocked
LoL.....yeah, they are serious coin right now (thanks Biden!). The rest of the system checks out good. Me and a friend, who's more of an electrical genius verified it about 3 times!

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 May 4th 2023, 3:00 am

BBFTorino wrote:Oh yeah, turning down the timing certainly helps to start it. But when I'm sitting in the staging lanes, all suited up and belted in, I can't really get out and turn the dist.
I  don't want to come on here and complain about prices for a new MSD box and/or a Mezzeire starter, but holy moly!Shocked
LoL.....yeah, they are serious coin right now (thanks Biden!). The rest of the system checks out good. Me and a friend, who's more of an electrical genius verified it about 3 times!  

I under stand. I just meant to see if it helped first.

I had one of my dial boxes go bad is all. We had a 5.0FI Stang the kids buddy did not listen to me on needing a steel gear on a roller cam, and listened to the goof at the parts store. Needless to say he burned the distributor gear off and both of the new replacement store units failed on our street along with a used MSD I told him not to buy. So we put a steel gear on the first distributor and all was well. Needless to say I am leary of the Chine parts.

If it works hell yes go for it.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2