BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car

+2
BBFTorino
Calkins
6 posters

Go down

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car Empty Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car

Post  Calkins April 10th 2022, 1:08 pm

Hello All!

Born and raised in Northcentral Iowa, with a five year stay in Northcentral Missouri.  My Father took me to my first drag race when I was fairly young, probably around five years old.  Grew up a Mopar lover.  I guess my Grandfather turned me into a Ford guy once I became an adult.  Never a GM fan.  Love Triumph motorcycles.  When I was younger, my Father had a front engine dragster, and crewed on a Top Alcohol Funny Car.  Straight out of high school, I had the chance to drive an altered at my local 1/8th mile.  That was all it took, and I have been trying to build my own car since.  In my late 20's, I crewed on a Nostalgia Top Fueler.  My kids are almost out of school, so now it's time for me to play!

I recently bought a front engine dragster.  It has a floater 9" in it already.  I have a bunch of C4 cores, so I am building a shorty C4 for this car.  I would love to put a Boss 429 based engine in it someday.  For now, it's getting half of that.  I am collecting parts to build a Mercury Marine MerCruiser 224" four cylinder. It will get a Boss head from TM Enterprises (he is local to me).  I am shooting for high 9's to start, so I can get my competition license.  I would like to end up in the mid 7's with or without a supercharger.

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car 20220310

Last edited by Calkins on April 11th 2022, 8:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Calkins
Calkins

QtrWarrior, jasonf, Gregaust and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car Empty Re: Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car

Post  BBFTorino April 10th 2022, 2:51 pm

That's a very cool start into drag racing! Hey MOPAR's are cool, I love me some of them too!

BBFTorino

Mark Miller and Calkins like this post

Back to top Go down

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car Empty Re: Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car

Post  wickettoby1 April 11th 2022, 8:18 pm

A hemi headed SC Merc 224" in a front engine dragster would be very cool to see!!!!

wickettoby1

QtrWarrior and Calkins like this post

Back to top Go down

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car Empty welcome

Post  hbstang April 19th 2022, 4:45 pm

can that little 4 be bored and stroked?i would guess it could be built to 500 hp pretty easy with out supercharger,if its half of a boss 429,lets say a 557 can make a 1,000 with a single 4 carb.so a 278 ci?
hbstang
hbstang

Back to top Go down

Post  Calkins April 19th 2022, 5:20 pm

Anything is possible, at a cost.  OEM sleeves are not suppose to go past .030, or so I have read.  Several racers have bored out the OEM sleeves, and pressed in very thick aftermarket ones.  Stroking the crank opens more problems, as vibration becomes a big issue the more you stroke it.  A guy built a .200 stroker, and ran 184mph at Bonneville in a coupe on a mild pass.  He sleeved and overbored a different engine .200.  One of the engine builder internet magazines (E-Zine) ran an article a while back with one of these engines in a dragster and a wedge head that put out 571hp.  I think they ran in the low 8's or high 7's.

I am looking for at least 380hp (double OEM rating) and no more than 570hp (triple OEM rating) with a first try.  The biggest hurdle right now is finding stack injection.  These engines have bad reservation if the cam specs aren't just right.  Long runners help fight that.  Plenums and short runners are not the right thing to do with them.

My hope is that I can run 9.90-9.50 with the first version, so I can get my competition license.  If I could run 7.90-7.50 without a blower later on, that would be sweet.  I would really love to run injected nitro with one of these engines, but I'll worry about that way down the road.  Clint Neff has a custom block and a wedge head in his Comp altered that run 7.40s.  So it's all very doable.

Last edited by Calkins on October 13th 2022, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Calkins
Calkins

Back to top Go down

Post  Calkins April 19th 2022, 5:25 pm

OEM specs are:

4.36” Bore, 3.75” Stroke, 223.95”  -  3.66L

It was offered in 165hp and 180hp two barrel versions and 190hp with a four barrel.

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car 001
Calkins
Calkins

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior April 20th 2022, 10:17 am

Calkins wrote:OEM specs are:

4.36” Bore, 3.75” Stroke, 223.95”  -  3.66L

It was offered in 165hp and 180hp two barrel versions and 190hp with a four barrel.

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car 001

Yup, That's them...

I have worked on and built a couple for boats in the past..
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Calkins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 20th 2022, 6:41 pm

If you can’t find the Mechanical injection maybe try a big ass split dominator
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Calkins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Calkins November 28th 2022, 4:30 pm

Not much for progress here.  I did borrow a block from my Father for I could start mocking stuff up. I am still looking for a "cheap" Boss 429 head that I can use for mock up. I am not far enough along to order the TM head that I plan to use in the race motor.

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car 20221110

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car 20221112

Life Long Drag Racer, Finally Building First Car 20221111
Calkins
Calkins

QtrWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior November 28th 2022, 4:42 pm

Why don't you start a thread in the "Dragsters" section of the forum ?
You could post pics of the entire build...car and engine ...
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Calkins likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Calkins November 28th 2022, 4:45 pm

I will when I get more parts piled up. I am hoping to be ready for the chassis shop next Winter, and will probably start a build thread at that time.
Calkins
Calkins

QtrWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down