BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stroker size

+12
QtrWarrior
Mark O'Neal
supervel45
Lem Evans
Mark Miller
Doxnoogle
wickettoby1
BBFTorino
rmcomprandy
dfree383
Dave De
nedceifus
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Stroker size - Page 3 Empty Re: Stroker size

Post  rmcomprandy August 22nd 2022, 11:04 am

Paul Kane wrote:

This is still very financially do-able given current pricing for commercially available stroker kit combos: I’m currently working on a very similar OEM 460 stroker crank combo that will use a shelf H-beam rod and can even use a shelf stroker piston (with a single change).  The result will be a nodular iron cast crank stroker kit with H-beam rods and forged pistons for about the same price as an offshore stroker kit, at least as strong as the cast crank offshore stroker kits (if not stronger) and as good a rod ratio as the similarly spec’d offshore stroker kits.

The current-day, cookie-cutter stroker kits have not been updated for about thirty years now, and this new recipe addresses that.  I’ve got a similarly stroked forged crank version in the works, too. My targeted goal is as follows: assuming both the new and old designs are the same displacement and horsepower, the new design will easily out-accelerate the antiquated design down the track. Cool

Details to follow at a later date.

In the late 90's I built a few lower compression, (9/1), street 494, stroker engines with an offset ground crankshaft to 2.250" rod journal, (4.100" stroke), using aftermarket Pontiac, (pressed pin), rods and .030" overbore replacement 403 Oldsmobile pistons ... these engines used regular C8, C9, D0 heads, which is still very do-able today.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

QtrWarrior and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior August 22nd 2022, 12:12 pm

My first Big Block, that my Dad built in the mid 80's was similar...
As all these stroker kits didn't exist "Back in the Day"..

Stock block (sonic checked) bored .140" over, 4.500" bore
Stock 460 crank, offset ground to 3.975", 2.375" (?) Big Block Mopar rod journal.
Mopar 440 rods, bushed to 6.770" length.
Made 506" which was HUGE back then...
How the times have changed...
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 23rd 2022, 12:57 am

QtrWarrior wrote:My first Big Block, that my Dad built in the mid 80's was similar...
As all these stroker kits didn't exist "Back in the Day"..

Stock block (sonic checked) bored .140" over, 4.500" bore
Stock 460 crank, offset ground to 3.975", 2.375" (?) Big Block Mopar rod journal.
Mopar 440 rods, bushed to 6.770" length.
Made 506" which was HUGE back then...
How the times have changed...

You know, that combination but, with a smaller bore is still quite popular today, for a 480 inch class pulling engine.

rmcomprandy

QtrWarrior and Mark Miller like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane August 23rd 2022, 1:02 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
In the late 90's I built a few lower compression, (9/1),  street 494, stroker engines with an offset ground crankshaft to 2.250" rod journal, (4.100" stroke), using aftermarket Pontiac, (pressed pin), rods and .030" overbore replacement 403 Oldsmobile pistons ... these engines used regular C8, C9, D0 heads, which is still very do-able today.
That's cool, the Olds 403 piston is a little known option.  I had a set of those come through the shop as part of a BBF stroker, the piston box said "497 BBF."  They were 2nd over (4.39").  I never did build it, it got purchased from me....
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal August 24th 2022, 3:08 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
Mark O'Neal wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

A 4.3" stroke with a 6.605" rod

Ford did it....for about a month. So, it was thing, but really not a thing.

You might run across a crank if you're lucky.

Do your homework Mark ...
"Ford Racing Performance Parts" used that combination of crankshaft journal size / connecting rod for about 10 years in their big block crate motors.

It was sarcasm. I didn't mean to trigger you.

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  nedceifus August 24th 2022, 12:18 pm

supervel45 wrote:OP: What Block are you going to use?

Nice Top End by the way.
DIVE block. Ended up not stroking it. Put a SCJ piston in it, crossing my fingers on the Eagle I beams & sending it.
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 24th 2022, 12:37 pm

Mark O'Neal wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
Mark O'Neal wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

"Ford Racing Performance Parts" used that combination of crankshaft journal size / connecting rod for about 10 years in their big block crate motors.

I didn't recognize it as sarcasm ... I thought you were having a senior moment brain fart. LOL

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 24th 2022, 3:04 pm

The pot calling the kettle black!!!!😜😜😜😜
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy August 24th 2022, 9:02 pm

dfree383 wrote:The pot calling the kettle black!!!!😜😜😜😜

I do have them often and get some things wrong when I know better so,
just figured that other older generation members probably have them too.

rmcomprandy

Dave De likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 August 24th 2022, 11:01 pm

nedceifus wrote:

Nice Top End by the way.
DIVE block. Ended up not stroking it. Put a SCJ piston in it, crossing my fingers on the Eagle I beams & sending it.

Cool. I know you said .700 lift solid roller on the first page. Did you have, or get the cam bought, just curious what you ended up with?

Should be a fun ride. Cool

Last edited by supervel45 on August 25th 2022, 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fun,not run opp's.)

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark O'Neal August 25th 2022, 8:11 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Mark O'Neal wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:
Mark O'Neal wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:

I didn't recognize it as sarcasm ... I thought you were having a senior moment brain fart. LOL

One conclusion does not necessarily negate the other.

Mark O'Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  nedceifus August 26th 2022, 1:01 pm

I got my cam & heads from Lem.
supervel45 wrote:
nedceifus wrote:

Nice Top End by the way.

Cool. I know you said .700 lift solid roller on the first page. Did you have, or get the cam bought, just curious what you ended up with?

Should be a fun ride. Cool
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Post  Slowride September 22nd 2022, 12:19 am

nedceifus wrote:Stroker size - Page 3 801d3910What stroker sizes are better for different applications? I’m just getting my 460 together but really need to upgrade to a forged piston, I’m going to put some NOS to it next summer. Seems like if I’m going to invest in a good set of pistons I may as well just buy a stroker rotating assembly. This is going in a 64 Ford. Street/Strip, heavy on the strip. Victor, 1000cfm 4150, 700 lift solid roller, SCJ heads, pump gas, 200 shot.  I want to be able to beat the piss out if it.
You have a near identical build as mine and something may be problematic for you. Hopefully you find the answer I didn't in running a .700 lift cam with the SCJ heads. Flow would max at .650 and springs for a SR will coil bind there as well. If you've found the magic bullet, post it up or IM me as Scotty will be (hopefully) grinding my cam soon.

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De September 22nd 2022, 8:39 am

Slowride wrote:
nedceifus wrote:Stroker size - Page 3 801d3910What stroker sizes are better for different applications? I’m just getting my 460 together but really need to upgrade to a forged piston, I’m going to put some NOS to it next summer. Seems like if I’m going to invest in a good set of pistons I may as well just buy a stroker rotating assembly. This is going in a 64 Ford. Street/Strip, heavy on the strip. Victor, 1000cfm 4150, 700 lift solid roller, SCJ heads, pump gas, 200 shot.  I want to be able to beat the piss out if it.
You have a near identical build as mine and something may be problematic for you. Hopefully you find the answer I didn't in running a .700 lift cam with the SCJ heads. Flow would max at .650 and springs for a SR will coil bind there as well. If you've found the magic bullet, post it up or IM me as Scotty will be (hopefully) grinding my cam soon.
I was scrambling to get an SCJ head engine set up for the Cobra Jet reunion at Norwalk because my P-51's were torched from a lean condition. The cam was .750" lift. I used PAC springs and +.050 valve retainer locks to get it done without coil bind. If you think that the rocker clearance with the retainer is too close use lash caps to raise the rocker away from the tips. You will need to buy the locks to accept lash caps. I'm sure that titanium retainers helped. Longer valves is another option.
Dave De
Dave De

nedceifus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 June 6th 2023, 11:31 am

Paul Kane wrote:
Doxnoogle wrote:
stanger68 wrote:…Yes I would sell the (240) rods….

…Two of the companies that made pistons for this application are not even in business anymore, and the other two dont have them in the catalog…. Paying $800-900 for custom pistons, on top of grinding the crank pretty well sinks the boat.

This is still very financially do-able given current pricing for commercially available stroker kit combos: I’m currently working on a very similar OEM 460 stroker crank combo that will use a shelf H-beam rod and can even use a shelf stroker piston (with a single change).  The result will be a nodular iron cast crank stroker kit with H-beam rods and forged pistons for about the same price as an offshore stroker kit, at least as strong as the cast crank offshore stroker kits (if not stronger) and as good a rod ratio as the similarly spec’d offshore stroker kits.

The current-day, cookie-cutter stroker kits have not been updated for about thirty years now, and this new recipe addresses that.  I’ve got a similarly stroked forged crank version in the works, too. My targeted goal is as follows: assuming both the new and old designs are the same displacement and horsepower, the new design will easily out-accelerate the antiquated design down the track. Cool

^Any progress on this? Are you going to offer anything with the 429 Forged Truck Cranks new with them?

Are you planning any Low Compression Options for the Boosted guy's?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy June 6th 2023, 3:42 pm

dfree383 wrote:Bigger the stroke the more torque and power it will make.

Only if the cubic inches grow, too ...

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane June 7th 2023, 12:59 am

supervel45 wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:...I’m currently working on an...OEM 460 stroker crank combo that will use a shelf H-beam rod and can even use a shelf stroker piston (with a single change).  The result will be a nodular iron cast crank stroker kit with H-beam rods and forged pistons for about the same price as an offshore stroker kit, at least as strong as the cast crank offshore stroker kits (if not stronger) and as good a rod ratio as the similarly spec’d offshore stroker kits.  I’ve got a similarly stroked forged crank version in the works, too.

The current-day, cookie-cutter stroker kits have not been updated for about thirty years now, and this new recipe addresses that.  My targeted goal is as follows: assuming both the new and old designs are the same displacement and horsepower, the new design will easily out-accelerate the antiquated design down the track. Cool

^Any progress on this? Are you going to offer anything with the 429 Forged Truck Cranks new with them?

Are you planning any Low Compression Options for the Boosted guy's?
Yes there has been progress:
  • The cast stroker crank is finished and I have the rod set for it as well, just need to order the piston set.
  • The forged stroker crank is currently at the crank grinder.  When I get it back I will order the rods and the pistons for that one.
  • (PS: The cast crank version is evolving into a "proof of concept" deal; the forged version will be the kit I think people will want.)

Yes, I would think the forged crank version could be used in some boosted applications.
No, the above concepts do not incorporate the 429 steel truck cranks (but I do have a few of them if anyone has a need).

Currently I have a lot of other responsibilities that take priority, including customer builds, getting the new website completed, etc
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 June 7th 2023, 2:09 am

Well that's good to hear Paul. Keep up the good work.

Those Forged 429 Steel Truck cranks are pretty rare, I guess that is a big ask to make it worth while to offer them in mass kit form.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane June 7th 2023, 11:33 am

supervel45 wrote:Those Forged 429 Steel Truck cranks are pretty rare, I guess that is a big ask to make it worth while to offer them in mass kit form.
Re-read my post above; I am not using steel truck crankshafts to develop a stroker kit.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 June 7th 2023, 1:28 pm

That's the way I meant it to come across on the 429 Forged Steel Crankshafts.

I took it to mean you are going to use an existing Modified 460 Forged Crankshaft in the new kits. Maybe I'm still misreading it all.

Anyways good to know progress is being made.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3