BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D0OE-R head question.

3 posters

Go down

D0OE-R head question. Empty D0OE-R head question.

Post  rharden December 11th 2019, 1:41 am

I'm rebuilding my 71, 429 CJ engine. I have worked on many small block Fords and 351C, but I'm a bit new to the 429 CJ engine. The heads have me puzzled. I sent them out for valve work and machining. The heads look great! I installed them on the block and when I was checking the fit of the intake gaskets, Fel-Pro 1231S-3 intake gasket set, I noticed a small opening, just above the exhaust crossover port, in the center of each head. The intake gasket doesn't cover this opening. What is this? I can't find anything about this in my engine manuals. I'm installing a new Edelbrock Pro Flo intake and it doesn't cover this either and neither did the stock CJ intake. A Facebook group, BBF, says this is a barrier between the exhaust port and oil side of the head, so the engine oil doesn't burn inside the valve cover area. Is that a fact, or is this for something else? Thanks.

D0OE-R head question. P1040910
D0OE-R head question. P1040911

rharden

Back to top Go down

D0OE-R head question. Empty Re: D0OE-R head question.

Post  rmcomprandy December 11th 2019, 11:16 am

Exactly what it is ... It is merely an air barrier so the exhaust crossover does not transfer as much heat to the oil directly above it under the valve cover.
That gasket is actually higher in that place than an O.E.M. gasket; covering part of that void.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rharden December 11th 2019, 12:11 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Exactly what it is ... It is merely an air barrier so the exhaust crossover does not transfer as much heat to the oil directly above it under the valve cover.
That gasket is actually higher in that place than an O.E.M. gasket; covering part of that void.
Thanks for the reply. I was told this on a Facebook group, but they weren't sure either. It does make sense. Do you think I should trim the intake gaskets, so the port will be fully open? Trimming won't interfere with the intake. I may as well. Thanks again! Rich

rharden

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De December 12th 2019, 10:47 pm

Do you think that you need a heat riser for the carburetor? Most of us dont need it. The high end intake manifolds dont have the heat riser.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  rharden December 13th 2019, 12:44 pm

Dave De wrote:Do you think that you need a heat riser for the carburetor? Most of us dont need it. The high end intake manifolds dont have the heat riser.
Hi Dave De, I don't plan on a heat riser. I'm installing the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 EFI system and headers. It does have an exhaust passage in the intake. I was going to call Edelbrock Tech and ask what they recommend. I plan to block it with thin stainless steel. The top opening is nothing more than what others have said, a barrier for the exhaust heat, so it doesn't cause oil burning under the valve cover. Probably wasn't needed, but Ford thought it was a good idea. Thanks for your reply.

rharden

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De December 13th 2019, 1:45 pm

rharden wrote:
Dave De wrote:Do you think that you need a heat riser for the carburetor? Most of us dont need it. The high end intake manifolds dont have the heat riser.
Hi Dave De, I don't plan on a heat riser. I'm installing the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 EFI system and headers. It does have an exhaust passage in the intake. I was going to call Edelbrock Tech and ask what they recommend. I plan to block it with thin stainless steel. The top opening is nothing more than what others have said, a barrier for the exhaust heat, so it doesn't cause oil burning under the valve cover. Probably wasn't needed, but Ford thought it was a good idea. Thanks for your reply.

Excellent plan to block it. You can use aluminum instead of stainless as well.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  rharden December 13th 2019, 7:53 pm

Dave De wrote:
rharden wrote:

Excellent plan to block it. You can use aluminum instead of stainless as well.

Thanks. That was my plan. I do have a sheet of .016" stainless. Probably use that.

rharden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down