BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C460 Heads and A460 Block question

4 posters

Go down

C460 Heads and A460 Block question  Empty C460 Heads and A460 Block question

Post  Remines February 7th 2019, 11:39 am

I am looking to see what diameter push rods people are use on the C460 heads. I have T &D rockers and offset intake Crower lifters. Mine are currently 3/8" and looking to see what lager diameter will fit without getting into the intake port. Also I have an older A460 block that is 10 bolt and was to wanting to see if anyone has converted one to 18 bolt or if could be done. Any information would be great.
Thanks
Michael Remines
Remines
Remines

Back to top Go down

C460 Heads and A460 Block question  Empty Re: C460 Heads and A460 Block question

Post  Lem Evans February 7th 2019, 12:01 pm

Remines wrote:I am looking to see what diameter push rods people are use on the C460 heads. I have T &D rockers and offset intake  Crower lifters. Mine are currently 3/8" and looking to see what lager diameter will fit without getting into the intake port. Also I have an older A460 block that is 10 bolt and was to wanting to see if anyone has converted one to 18 bolt or if could be done. Any information would be great.
Thanks
Michael Remines

Both 3/8 and 7/16" are used. You will not have to mill/grind on the head as much to get the 3/8 in there.

I've not used the T&D but, the Jesel are easier to get the pushrods in than the WW. Use a ~.135" wall if you use the 3/8".

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

C460 Heads and A460 Block question  Empty Re: C460 Heads and A460 Block question

Post  rmcomprandy February 7th 2019, 8:22 pm

Remines wrote:I am looking to see what diameter push rods people are use on the C460 heads. I have T &D rockers and offset intake  Crower lifters. Mine are currently 3/8" and looking to see what lager diameter will fit without getting into the intake port. Also I have an older A460 block that is 10 bolt and was to wanting to see if anyone has converted one to 18 bolt or if could be done. Any information would be great.
Thanks
Michael Remines

The major need for a larger diameter pushrod is usually on the exhaust side as that valve is opening against a lot more pressure in the cylinder.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans February 7th 2019, 8:31 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Thanks
Michael Remines

The major need for a larger diameter pushrod is usually on the exhaust side as that valve is opening against a lot more pressure in the cylinder.

For sure and I'm working on a project now that will have a 3/8" .135" wall intake rod and a 7/16" .165" wall exhaust rod. About the same price for both rods so why not. Good point , Randy.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Remines February 8th 2019, 8:59 am

Thanks guys for the replies. I have a couple of 7/16 .165 ordered for mock up to see what kind of clean up is needed. Does anyone have any information to share with the possibility of machining the block for the extra head bolt hole? Thanks again for all of the experienced information.
Michael Remines
Remines
Remines

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 8th 2019, 11:07 am

Remines wrote:Thanks guys for the replies. I have a couple of 7/16  .165 ordered for mock up to see what kind of clean up is needed.  Does anyone have any information to share with the possibility of machining the block for the extra head bolt hole?  Thanks again for all of the experienced  information.
Michael Remines

Unless it is a really early block; today's A460 blocks are already machined for those head bolts.
The outside, (exhaust side), extra locations would be rather easy to drill and tap on early blocks.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 8th 2019, 2:40 pm

[quote="Remines"]Thanks guys for the replies. I have a couple of 7/16  .165 ordered for mock up to see what kind of clean up is needed.  Does anyone have any information to share with the possibility of machining the block for the extra head bolt hole?  Thanks again for all of the experienced  information.
Michael Remines [/quote

If the lugs are in the valley for the inner studs or bolts, be advised that they are at a 7.5* angle to the deck surface. In other words the are laid in an upward direction towards the bottom of the intake manifold off of perpendicular to the deck surface. That means that the underside of the lug gets broached at 52.5* (45* +7.5*) in order for the washer and nut, or bolt head to set square. Also this 7/16" hole does not have to be round, but can be somewhat slotted or elongated.
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Remines February 9th 2019, 11:39 am

Thanks to all for the information. This is very helpful.
Michael Remines
Remines
Remines

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down