BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorhome trans options

5 posters

Go down

Motorhome trans options Empty Motorhome trans options

Post  Landyacht2018 October 22nd 2018, 9:31 pm

I have a1983 coachman on a ford chassis. It has a 460 big block backed by a c6. I don’t know a whole lot about fords in general but I am not stupid by any means. I am trying to find out what options I have for replacing the trans with something that has overdrive. I was thinking I wanted something heavy duty. I was trying to find info on swapping in either a 5r110 or possibly a 6r140 from a Ford F-250+ superduty. I know 460 has bbf bell housing and these transmission have modular bell housing like the v10. Does anyone know if there is an adapter or anything that would work for this. Otherwise I’m open to other ideas also. Thanks in advance.

Landyacht2018

Back to top Go down

Motorhome trans options Empty Re: Motorhome trans options

Post  jasonf October 23rd 2018, 6:55 pm

Gear Vendors is/was a great option back in the day and still is.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R October 23rd 2018, 7:35 pm

X2, you can't go wrong with a C6 and a gear vendors OD, both are heavy duty units

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  Mustang-junky October 25th 2018, 8:59 pm

No converter lock up with the Gear Venders unit. Any late model auto trans will be electronically shifted, so you will need to stick with something that has an aftermarket controller readily available. Or be prepared to try and make a factory computer work.

Jess
Mustang-junky
Mustang-junky

Back to top Go down

Post  RayDav October 29th 2018, 10:06 pm

Landyacht2018 wrote:I have a1983 coachman on a ford chassis. It has a 460 big block backed by a c6. I don’t know a whole lot about fords in general but I am not stupid by any means. I am trying to find out what options I have for replacing the trans with something that has overdrive. I was thinking I wanted something heavy duty. I was trying to find info on swapping in either a 5r110 or possibly a 6r140 from a Ford F-250+ superduty. I know 460 has bbf bell housing and these transmission have modular bell housing like the v10. Does anyone know if there is an adapter or anything that would work for this. Otherwise I’m open to other ideas also. Thanks in advance.  

In 1994 I got an 84 E350 with a 460, C6 and a 3.07 rear.

I changed to an E4OD, 3.5 rear and a Baumann Trans controller.

It now has a 7.3 IDI turbo diesel and a different E4OD; bolt pattern is different. Current weight is 9K#. It did the Hot Rod Power Tour this year; 9K miles. Works very well.

RayDav

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down