BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new project

+2
windsor
69rustang
6 posters

Go down

new project Empty new project

Post  69rustang November 23rd 2017, 10:44 am

New to site and big block Fords....old geezer building a tube chassis street freak always ran Chevy or olds more recently small block dodge oval track motors. My son is a Ford fanatic so has talked me out of my 496 BBC and we managed to come up with a couple 460 blocks My main problem is with block strength. SO many tales of woe vs tales of 800 hp mud trucks with stock blocks. This will be a modest budget build but has to last awhile. Mostly street with 6 or so times a year at nostalgia drags on 1/8th. My budget will allow for aluminum heads and most any cubic inch setup. I like short stroke/long rod combos but 429 cranks seem to be elusive AND I see that it is almost as cheap to build a 545 as a stock 460. Assuming I go with 4.15 or 4.3 stroke that means on pump gas 600 hp is within reach but as much as I would like to brag 500 is a sensible limit on 10" street tires in a light car. So step one...the block Is a main bearing girdle needed at that power level and are there any oiling mods needed? Once block is done then will see where I go with heads/cam etc. I now live in Dothan AL so could use name of bbf engine guy in area thanx

69rustang

Back to top Go down

new project Empty Re: new project

Post  windsor November 23rd 2017, 2:41 pm

Welcome. Lots of BBF oiling mod info on this site: http://www.highflowdynamics.net
(Hint, very little is actually needed)

General consensus is a girdle doesn’t help anything.

These blocks can handle a lot of power in stock form (some have been known to live to well north of 1000hp), but with anything tune is key. Most guys I think say the threshold for peace of mind is 900.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

new project Empty thanx

Post  69rustang November 23rd 2017, 5:58 pm

sounds like just do it right don't get cute and it will live well past anything I will ever do to it

69rustang

Back to top Go down

Post  DanE November 24th 2017, 1:14 pm

69rustang wrote:sounds like just do it right   don't get cute and it will live well past anything I will ever do to it

Also, you don't need studs for the mains or heads. The factory bolts do the job just fine.
These issues and much more has been hashed over repeatedly on these sites. The search function will produce a wealth of information. However, if you want to discuss any of these issues, members here will be happy to discuss them.

Use the "engine tech" section for further discussion. If you follow the information that is available here, you will have a successful project, and you, Chevy boy, will be quite impressed.Very Happy

DanE

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino November 24th 2017, 5:19 pm

69rustang wrote:New to site and big block Fords....old geezer building a tube chassis street freak always ran Chevy or olds more recently small block dodge oval track motors. My son is a Ford fanatic so has talked me out of my 496 BBC and we managed to come up with a couple 460 blocks  My main problem is with block strength. SO many tales of woe vs tales of 800 hp mud trucks with stock blocks.  This will be a modest budget build but has to last awhile. Mostly street with 6 or so times a year at nostalgia drags on 1/8th. My budget will allow for aluminum heads and most any cubic inch setup. I like short stroke/long rod combos but 429 cranks seem to be elusive AND I see that it is almost as cheap to build a 545 as a stock 460. Assuming I go with 4.15 or 4.3 stroke that means on pump gas 600 hp is within reach but as much as I would like to brag 500 is a sensible limit on 10" street tires in a light car.  So step one...the block  Is a main bearing girdle needed at that power level and are there any oiling mods needed? Once block is done then will see where I go with heads/cam etc. I now live in Dothan AL so could use name of bbf engine guy in area   thanx

Welcome aboard!!
What type of car will you be building??

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

new project Empty project

Post  69rustang November 25th 2017, 10:13 am

its a 2x3 tube chassis....nothing exotic...must 2 front.. fab 9" rear on mopar leafs... full cage..40 ford coupe (its sorta pro mod style) body from lowlife customs in PA..would like stick shift but have mobility problems and walk with a cane so probably will have to go auto trans. with enough torque a 3.7-3.9 gear should be enough for street/strip..basically a cross between a street rod and a promod...won't win any prizes for looks or originality but should be scary fast on not much money ..bare bones money will be in motor not in paint or billet cute stuff after researching on this site I am leaning towards a 513/6.7 or 6.8 rod kit like from eagle or scat... performer rpm or tfs street heads around 10-1 comp... I love over thinking cam combinations but having lived in FL for almost 25 years I have had great results in big olds and chevys using hot marine jet boat cams....idle smooth and come off idle like gang busters....again..old school but effective comp cams has 2 nice grinds for that application rpm air gap or tfs intake with basic 750-850 street carb...thinking 525tq and 475-500 hp??????? numbers are numbers but plan on finished car under 2700 lbs confused

69rustang

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 November 25th 2017, 11:10 pm

If all you want is 500 hp then just use a stock 460 bottom end bore it .060 and put some good lightweight pistons in it. No need to waste your money on a striker kit. That's the beauty of a bbf they're pretty damn tuff from the factory. Use a hyd roller cam and a good set of heads, weiand stealth intakes work awesome for a street build of that level. They pull like hell off idle all the way up high.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R November 26th 2017, 1:06 am

Welcome aboard

Use the "engine tech" section for further discussion. If you follow the information that is available here, you will have a successful project, and you, Chevy boy, will be quite impressed

X2 You'll get a lot more responses there:D

Mike R

Back to top Go down

new project Empty thanx

Post  69rustang November 26th 2017, 1:41 pm

thanx to all for the responses...looks like this will be an easy build and good bang for the buck...my son is already drooling over my spare 460 block for a mudtruck stroker....I may have to hide it from him

69rustang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down