BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low Buck Truck Motor

+8
longroofracer
The Pope
johndickjr
IcallhimGeorge
Lem Evans
fordman460
Greg_P
Sixfootfour
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Low Buck Truck Motor Empty Low Buck Truck Motor

Post  Sixfootfour December 12th 2009, 1:05 am

I have a 1966 Ford truck, that I'm fixing up, and wanted to put in a 460. I got a set of heads at a swapmeet, they are E8TE, rebuilt with stainless valves, and new springs. I found a motor in a railroad truck, at the auto wreckers, got it for $200. The motor looked OK, and had been rebuilt at a shop,bored 30 thou, crank 10/10, bearings in good shape, clean inside, just some carbon on the bathtub pistons.

I could have just put it in the truck, but I would like more power than stock. After reading on this forum for a while, I ordered the 2 plane FRPP manifold, yea , the one on sale cheap. I have a 850 Holley carb, so we have induction. I ordered a set of Kieth Black KB 137 flat top pistons from CNC Motorsports, they sent the rings ,too. Now we have compression.

With the right cam this thing could go. So, I ordered the big hydraulic cam from Lem. Well, it has a lot of duration,244/254 and lift 595/621, and I chickened out. I got a Comp cam for use from 1000 to 5200 RPM and has smooth idle. It is XM262H. It has 218/224 and lift is 514/524.

Yea, I saved the C-460 cam for another day, and put in the small one for smooth idle in the driver. I called Scott Johnson at reincarnation, and he sent me a distributor curved for my application. From Paul at High flow Dynamics, I got the shim kit for the oil pump, and the contoured oil filter adapter. I drilled the oil passage to 9/16 and smoothed the passages. All the low buck mods.

I started assembly today, the clearances on the bearings are right about 2 thou measured with plastigauge. The pistons sit 10 thou in the hole, I know zero is best, but it should work ,ok. I got the bearings and lifters from Summit. I hope those Summit brand lifters are good, they are about half price.
I willpost a picture, but all the camera could see was that big shiny intake.
Laughing[img][/img]

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Low Buck Truck Motor Empty Re: Low Buck Truck Motor

Post  Sixfootfour December 12th 2009, 1:46 am

Low Buck Truck Motor Motor_14

The camera likes the shiny intake. I like that it is much lighter ,and hopefully more powerful than the stock cast iron.

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P December 12th 2009, 11:09 pm

The intake ports of the E8TE heads are not in the standard location. How do they line up with the Stealth intake?

Also, the exhaust ports are much different on those E8 heads than the earlier ones.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour December 12th 2009, 11:43 pm

The intake ports lined up with a Felpro 1230 gasket. That's the Ford Motorsports manifold, supposed to be same as Edelbrock RPM. A different exhaust could be a problem, maybe that's why a set of rebuilt heads was $100 at a swap meet. I have the D-3 heads that came with the engine, and I might need to use them. This forum is great. I live in Canada, and do the work in the winter. I will post what issues come up as the build progresses.

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P December 12th 2009, 11:52 pm

Interesting, I have a set of E8TE heads here and I wasn't going to use them in anything because I had heard from many reputable sources that the intake ports would only line up with the fuel injection intake manifold.

Keep us posted on the build, it should be a great low rpm stump puller.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour December 13th 2009, 12:20 am

I checked the intake ports with the gasket, and they lined up. I will measure the exhaust location tomorrow. If I need to, I can get a set of fuelie manifolds.

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour December 13th 2009, 1:50 pm

Went to the garage this morning, it was -39 ! Had to warm up the lighter to light the heater, but I did a quick check with my D5 truck exhaust manifolds, and the exhaust gasket. It fits! The port looks like it is smaller than the D3's, and fits the small port gasket that comes in the Mr. Gasket kits. I used the big port gasket on the 429 in the 1971 Mustamg, you can see the bumper in the picture. I think the fuelie heads have smaller ports and wont work right with Cobra Jet intakes or big exhaust headers, but for a street build I think they might have some good points, like, gas milage.

I'm going to use them, and if you have a set, they fit. I would like to see this engine on a dyno, to see what it does before it goes in the truck. It breaks in the new cam properly, too. But, first, it has to be assembled. Back to the garage.

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour December 14th 2009, 2:29 pm

Low Buck Truck Motor Exhaust001

There's the 76 truck manifolds, on the E8 heads, gasket match was good, no issues. The motor came with the good rods with the football head bolts. Most of the auto wreckers will give a 30 day warranty on engines. Just tear them down, and see if they are OK. This one was bored once, but looked to be in good shape. I saw the recent paint, that might mean a recent rebuild. It came with 2 block heaters, a great thing in Canada, but the block heater looks like it has a small leak. Easy to fix.

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour December 16th 2009, 1:18 pm

I picked up a timing set, oil pan, and front cover gaskets locally, and then I went to a Ford dealer to get a new front timing cover.
He said, I'll get you one, be around $600 bucks. I went to my local NAPA store and they can get them much cheaper.

Parts and prices
Junkyard engine $200
Dual plane manifold from Lem $209
Bearings and lifters Summit $130
Head gaskets from Lem $ 50
Timing set $ 75
850 Holley carb - leftover from another project
Rebuilt heads - swapmeet $100
Comp Cam XM262H 218/224 514/524 112 $229
Front cover NAPA $170
Pistons KB-137 CNC motorsports ,rings $440 Should come in about $2000, Canadian dollars, and about 400HP.

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P December 16th 2009, 4:21 pm

You can get those replacement timing covers off Ebay all the time for 75.00.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Low Buck Truck Motor Empty Hey Sixfootfour,

Post  fordman460 December 16th 2009, 5:10 pm

I, as well as others on here, can sell you a timing cover. Got several around here. If you want a good used one, e-mail me. orlnslloyd@aol.com
fordman460
fordman460

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 16th 2009, 6:03 pm

Pretty manifold Cool

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge December 16th 2009, 7:28 pm

The very first 460 I built was extremely similar to yours and I really enjoyed it. Managed around 12mpg when I kept my foot out of it too.

The exception was ported d3s and headers.

EDIT:
You sure those stock springs are going to be enough for that cam? IIRC I used Comp 924-16 or 926-16 springs with new retainers and locks.
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour December 16th 2009, 9:43 pm

This is the first 460 I've built. I have a 429 in the Mustang and it was built by a local shop (very good work) for about 5 grand. It dynoed at 400 hp with a stock rebuild, and stock intake, but cost quite a bit by the time I got it inthe car. I'm hoping to get about 400 hp and some good street manners. I would like to use headers, they should fit in the truck, and I think these heads are similar to the D-3's, but I didn't port them. Yes, they did use the Comp springs on the 429, and it lkes to rev.

Hopefully this truck will run well, and 12 MPG is not bad as long as you can pass some of those chevvies.

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge December 16th 2009, 10:52 pm

maybe Im confused.....

now you are talking about 2 motors?

On the truck motor with the x4262h cam are you using stock springs or aftermarket on the F8 heads?

400hp out of a stock rebuild with a stock cast intake is pretty impressive. Specs?
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour December 16th 2009, 11:49 pm

Low Buck Truck Motor Truck_10

Yes, I have 2 Big Block Fords. This is the 429 picture taken during installation in the 1971 Mustang.

I liked it so I want one in the truck.
The 429 has DOVE heads,(some port work) flat top pistons, Comp Cam XE274H cam, stock intake that came with the motor, lots of compression, and was built by a local race engine shop.

The engine for the truck is on the engine stand, and coming together with help and advice from this forum. I am expecting lower RPM use in the truck, it has 4.10 gears in a DANA60, and fairly big tires, so plenty of low RPM torque would be a good thing.

I think the 460 has the best power for the dollar, plus I did get the motor for $200.
The truck heads came with these springs, they look stock. I don't expect the motor to rev over 5000 RPM. Do you think I should get new springs?

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge December 16th 2009, 11:55 pm

I would use the springs that match the cam.
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour December 17th 2009, 12:44 am

The springs can be changed. I'm still waiting for that pesky timing cover to come from another city.

What headers did you use in your truck?

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge December 18th 2009, 11:10 am

L&L chasis exit 1 3/4 primary 3" collector.
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  johndickjr January 2nd 2010, 12:31 am

how can regular header and exhaust manifolds fit the fuel injection heads, i have a set of injection heads and i have a regular gasket laying around for both the intake and exhaust and they are not even close to matching up.

johndickjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour January 4th 2010, 7:44 pm

Good Question ! I took another look at the head, and what I thought was E8TE, looks like a 6.
That makes it E6TE, and fuelie heads started in E7, I believe.
Now , if I could save up for those TFS streets.

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  The Pope January 5th 2010, 8:25 pm

Sixfootfour wrote:With the right cam this thing could go. So, I ordered the big hydraulic cam from Lem. Well, it has a lot of duration,244/254 and lift 595/621, and I chickened out.

Sorry for the thread jack Sixfootfour, but that cam that you decided not to use has peeked my interest and I'd kind of would like to know more about it. So Lem, what's the LSA on this cam?
The Pope
The Pope

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge January 5th 2010, 9:04 pm

Thats the FRPP C460 cam.

https://www.429-460.com/stuff-for-sale-f1/m-6250-c460-frpp-cams-9995-t410.htm

it seems there has been a discrepancy in the I/E lift. I think the website says one number and the cam card says another.
IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sixfootfour January 5th 2010, 9:36 pm

That cam was used in the FRPP crate engine , with 550 hp and 545 ft/lbs of torque in a 460, with 10.5 to 1 compression .
That would be great in a truck!
I thought that my stock heads would not flow well enough to use this cam, and it would need new valve train parts.

Sixfootfour

Back to top Go down

Post  The Pope January 5th 2010, 9:46 pm

I'm wanting to do a 545/P51 build (one of these years) and want to run a hyd cam. This one has an interesting amount of lift. Kind of had me wondering how large can you go on a hyd cam? Anyway .... just trying to learn all I can so that when I get the $$$ I'll have my ducks in a proverbial roll.
The Pope
The Pope

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next