BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolt to stud for pickup tube technique?

4 posters

Go down

Bolt to stud for pickup tube technique?  Empty Bolt to stud for pickup tube technique?

Post  56f100guy January 14th 2017, 4:55 am

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, so don't flame me too badly lol. And yes, I've searched...a lot.

I'm swapping out the front sump pan, pump and pickup tube for a rear sump setup.

I found the part number I needed for the rear pickup tube stud. I still need one.

(Putting flame proof suit on)

Do I just remove the main cap bolt and replace it with the stud? Should I leave the other main cap bolt alone? Or, loosen both, replace bolt with stud, and retorque both? The later seems the most logical. I also would think the torque specs would be the same with using that particular stud?

Dang this asbestos is itchy...

Thanks in advance!

56f100guy

Back to top Go down

Bolt to stud for pickup tube technique?  Empty Re: Bolt to stud for pickup tube technique?

Post  69F100 January 14th 2017, 6:34 am

Give Lem a call he get you the main bolt with small stud on top
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Bolt to stud for pickup tube technique?  Empty Re: Bolt to stud for pickup tube technique?

Post  Lem Evans January 14th 2017, 11:40 am

The bolt with the stud on the head is D9HZ-6345-A. My guys should have them in stock...any dealer can get them. They come in a pkg. of two but we will sell in unit of one.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 14th 2017, 11:43 am

56f100guy wrote:I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, so don't flame me too badly lol. And yes, I've searched...a lot.

I'm swapping out the front sump pan, pump and pickup tube for a rear sump setup.

I found the part number I needed for the rear pickup tube stud. I still need one.

(Putting flame proof suit on)

Do I just remove the main cap bolt and replace it with the stud? Should I leave the other main cap bolt alone? Or, loosen both, replace bolt with stud, and retorque both? The later seems the most logical. I also would think the torque specs would be the same with using that particular stud?

Dang this asbestos is itchy...

Thanks in advance!

Take out the original bolt and replace with studded bolt and tighten snug ... crack loose other bolt and re-torque in steps alternating between the two.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  56f100guy January 14th 2017, 1:37 pm

Wow, thanks you guys. Of the two people I've read -alot- about on this forum, and seem to have amazing reputations...you both responded.

I have a great deal of respect for those who take the time to help 'the little guy'. We all gotta start somewhere, but many times egos get in the way, and that's just life in general.

Thanks x1000, I appreciate it!

56f100guy

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 14th 2017, 2:12 pm

56f100guy wrote:Wow, thanks you guys.

Thanks x1000, I appreciate it!

You're welcome.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Bolt to stud for pickup tube technique?  Empty While I'm in there...

Post  56f100guy January 26th 2017, 3:43 am

It's on an engine stand, upside down, and wide open...

So... I'm replacing the rear main seal while I'm at it. I believe the torque spec is (stepped up to) 105ft.lbs and is the same for the pickup stud?

I figure I'll leave the other main caps alone...correct? Aint broke, don't fix it...

Thanks

EDIT - Looks like the -new- Ford Racing version is now an M-6345-A instead of D6TZ-6345-A . True?

56f100guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down