BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

460 mustang swap

2 posters

Go down

460 mustang swap Empty 460 mustang swap

Post  fosixty July 15th 2016, 5:35 pm

Anyone have any experience with swapping a 460 into a 68 mustang? Wondering if it would be best to switch to a mustang II front end? My car is a 68 banger so it won't cost a lot more for a mII kit than swapping over to 5 lug, disk brakes ect. If I do go that route which kits are the best without breaking the bank.

fosixty

Back to top Go down

460 mustang swap Empty Re: 460 mustang swap

Post  fordguy69 July 15th 2016, 7:27 pm

You don't need to do a M2 swap. 460 fits fine, even with stock shock towers.  You can shave them for a little more ease of plug changes if you want.  Crites and MPG make headers and mounts for the swap.  

My current 69 uses the MPG kit, shaved the shock towers.  Works great.  

I am pretty sure the 68 engine compartment and 69 are the same.

Last edited by fordguy69 on July 15th 2016, 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : info change)

fordguy69

Back to top Go down

Post  fosixty July 15th 2016, 9:27 pm

Thanks for the reply fordguy. Nice of you to make a coment and help me learn.

I realize I can make it work with shock towers and figure I can just buy 429 mounts for a later mustang or tbird and have a good chance of getting it in. But since it's a 6 banger car I need to convert to power disk brakes and 5 lug along with better springs and power steering. Once I buy all of that and then do the Shelby drop on a arms and all that I figure it would be cheaper to just do the mustang II kit. I found some cheaper kits on eBay that are drum to drum for a complete install of mII suspension, power rack, disk brakes, springs shocks ect. The only thing that isn't included is motor mounts which I guess I would have to fab up, the sheet metal to replace shock towers and maybe linkage from rack to collumn for less than $2k.

I do think your car has the same width under the hood but is an inch or two longer which is a big help with fitting a fan behind the radiator.

fosixty

Back to top Go down

Post  fordguy69 July 15th 2016, 10:00 pm

Gotcha, just didn't want you to think you had to do the M2 for a 460.  Good luck with the swap, you won't regret it.

Check out a build thread on the other board for a poster named gydyup.  He has a 68 that he did the swap on.  

I didn't know that the 68's were shorter.  That is definitely an issue. I just barely have enough room for fans and that's with using the shorter boss/tbird water pump.

fordguy69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum