BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coolant leak,

5 posters

Go down

coolant leak,  Empty coolant leak,

Post  hotrod1956 March 24th 2016, 10:37 pm

I rebuilt my 1971 429, today I started it. It ran great, but I have coolant coming out around the dipstick tube. Can I get away with pulling out dipstick tube, putting in a new dipstick tube or do I have a leak behind water pump. Water pump and timing cover are new. Dipstick and tube are on left top side of timing cover. I have searched and cannot find anybody that has had this happen. Just for info this was a low mileage engine so I re ringed it, Comp cam kit with timing gear, valve springs and lifters. 513, 520 cam. FPA headers. Bought Scotty's app for portting heads, which was much harder than I thought it would be. Edelbrock 800 CFM, Performer RPM. Used D3VE A2A heads for a little less compression. 1971 2dr Thunderbird. Sorry for being long winded. Thanks in advanced for your help.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

coolant leak,  Empty Re: coolant leak,

Post  jasonf March 25th 2016, 12:12 am

I would guess you are missing the plate between the water pump and the timing cover. If water is leaking out your dipstick then the oil pan has to be full on water.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

coolant leak,  Empty coolant leak

Post  hotrod1956 March 25th 2016, 5:40 am

jasonf wrote:I would guess you are missing the plate between the water pump and the timing cover. If water is leaking out your dipstick then the oil pan has to be full on water.
jasonf, it is coming from around the tube, not out of it. There is not any oil in oil pan. I would be freaking if there was oil in the pan.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffgfg March 25th 2016, 5:53 pm

What is the pan full of ???? Anti freeze???? Why would you freak if the pan was full of oil??? I like oil in my pan!! I would pull the cover and check it, you would be hard pressed to put a new tube in and get it to seal on the engine, I would think. Good luck!

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl March 25th 2016, 7:58 pm

probably weeping down from the bypass hose
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 25th 2016, 8:56 pm

Might try a new cover or reseating the one you have after looking it over better for corrosion
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

coolant leak,  Empty Coolant leak

Post  hotrod1956 March 25th 2016, 9:56 pm

Frank Merkl wrote:probably weeping down from the bypass hose
Frank
Frank I ordered a cheap aluminum water pump and paid for it. Looks like it was machined out wrong or it is for another engine. My 429/460 gasket fit the holes but not the passages. Put my steel pump back on, will start it again in morning. Thanks for the response.

hotrod1956

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down