BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powerglide adapter plate or BBF bellhousing

+2
jbozzelle
kjett
6 posters

Go down

Powerglide adapter plate or BBF bellhousing Empty Powerglide adapter plate or BBF bellhousing

Post  kjett December 21st 2015, 10:11 am

Decisions, decisions. Debating on making the leap to a powerglide in my mud truck. In looking at the options, the "stock" case glides are cheaper with the same parts as the 2 piece cases with the correct bell package to mount to our BBF's. So for those running glides, is there an advantage to get the 2 piece case to bolt directly to the block or should I just get the 1 piece case with the adapter plates and save a little?
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Powerglide adapter plate or BBF bellhousing Empty Re: Powerglide adapter plate or BBF bellhousing

Post  jbozzelle December 21st 2015, 12:57 pm

I have the ATI case/ Ford bell on mine and it seems OK. Haven't ran it yet in the car but it was in a dragster with a GM bell and worked fine. The Ford bell has the starter holes, register, etc...

If you do decide to go the adapter plate route I'd get with Keith Fulp and have him make you one...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Powerglide adapter plate or BBF bellhousing Empty Re: Powerglide adapter plate or BBF bellhousing

Post  cool40 December 21st 2015, 2:51 pm

Reid two piece glide! I have had no problems at all with mine with a lot of hard passes on it,6500 off the tb. The reason I went two piece is resale. Take the bell off and it's just a pg for anybody else.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 December 21st 2015, 8:27 pm

I cut the bell off mine and used the bolt on bell that bolts to the pump
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt December 22nd 2015, 1:33 pm

If you go with the glide pattern, you can find one at any race track if you get in a bind. Not so much with a Ford bell.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 22nd 2015, 3:06 pm

Get the aftermarket GM style case and use an adaptor plate, Better resale later.

Don't waste your time with the stock case and OEM gear stuff, youre beyond that already
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett December 23rd 2015, 8:13 am

dfree383 wrote:Get the aftermarket GM style case and use an adaptor plate, Better resale later.

Don't waste your time with the stock case and OEM gear stuff, youre beyond that already

Yeah, I knew I was beyond the factory case stuff. Just wondering what was easier to deal with.

So, on the adapter plates that I've looked at it seems you bolt the plate to the block with counter sink bolts then there are studs from the plate back to the bell. Does this take the place of the midplate as well?
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt December 23rd 2015, 2:03 pm

kjett wrote: Does this take the place of the midplate as well?

Yes/no. I have seen them both ways. I would recommend using the adapter as a midplate. You can also use a (cough cough) Chevy converter. All you need to do is have spacers made the width of your plate.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 23rd 2015, 3:17 pm

Curt wrote:
kjett wrote: Does this take the place of the midplate as well?

Yes/no.   I have seen them both ways.  I would recommend using the adapter as a midplate.  You can also use a (cough cough) Chevy converter. All you need to do is have spacers made the width of your plate.

Or order the convertor built for the width of the plate.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt December 24th 2015, 2:27 pm

dfree383 wrote:

Or order the convertor built for the width of the plate.

Yeah, I'm meaning, you can use any Chevy converter with the proper spacing. Some people are lucky enough to find a shelf item that will work for their combo.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down