BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stock 460 block capability under boost

+5
QtrWarrior
the Coug
J.Toney
gmsmkr
gordyd4
9 posters

Go down

Stock 460 block capability under boost Empty Stock 460 block capability under boost

Post  gordyd4 November 27th 2014, 6:25 pm

What is the Factory 460 block hp capability under boost before problems start

gordyd4

Back to top Go down

Stock 460 block capability under boost Empty Re: Stock 460 block capability under boost

Post  gmsmkr November 29th 2014, 9:43 am

The block is not the problem it's the internals like rods and cast pistons

gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Stock 460 block capability under boost Empty Re: Stock 460 block capability under boost

Post  J.Toney November 29th 2014, 1:00 pm

gmsmkr wrote:The block is not the problem it's the internals like rods and cast pistons

I wouldn't quite say that. Do a little seaching around. Main webbing, caps, 10 bolt decks, thinner walls, etc all come into play. They can and are used to a point with success, but I think it comes with a reliability/longevity price. And ANYBODY that has done it will tell you, tune-up can be a deal breaker.
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Post  gordyd4 December 7th 2014, 2:39 pm

gmsmkr wrote:The block is not the problem it's the internals like rods and cast pistons

Didn't ask about the internals. Just was wondering what a factory block was good for. I've searched it but see a lot of different opinions and they were a couple years ago.

gordyd4

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug December 7th 2014, 2:43 pm

The problem starts Now while you are planning the build....... if you wish to cheap out and not use a good base then the problems are already in place and you are putting then there....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior December 7th 2014, 3:31 pm

Seems like I remember Erica Ortiz had a twin turbo BB in her 86 T-Bird...
Was a stock block on twins , ran deep in the 6's...
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug December 7th 2014, 3:49 pm

QtrWarrior wrote:Seems like I remember Erica Ortiz had a twin turbo BB in her 86 T-Bird...

guess he needs to get them to build him one and TUNE IT FOR HIM....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  gordyd4 December 7th 2014, 5:23 pm

the Coug wrote:The problem starts Now while you are planning the build....... if you wish to cheap out and not use a good base then the problems are already in place and you are putting then there....

It's not that I'm cheaping out. I've owned an 825" Ford Hemi pro stock "C" headed engine, a 565 blown "B" headed ford Hemi, and a C460 headed 600, all aluminum motors with the very best components. Far from cheap.

Your assuming a lot with your post. It just sounds to me you don't know and just would rather give an opinion that really has nothing to do with the question to hear yourself speak and up your post count.

gordyd4

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr December 7th 2014, 6:17 pm

gordyd4 wrote:
the Coug wrote:The problem starts Now while you are planning the build....... if you wish to cheap out and not use a good base then the problems are already in place and you are putting then there....

It's not that I'm cheaping out. I've owned an 825" Ford Hemi pro stock "C" headed engine, a 565 blown "B" headed ford Hemi, and a C460 headed 600, all aluminum motors with the very best components. Far from cheap.

Your assuming a lot with your post. It just sounds to me you don't know and just would rather give an opinion that really has nothing to do with the question to hear yourself speak and up your post count.

Saying you have owned all that. Why even ask about a STOCK block scratch just put it together and keep adding boost till it goes then you will know how much it will hold
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr December 7th 2014, 6:18 pm

J.Toney wrote:

I wouldn't quite say that. Do a little seaching around. Main webbing, caps, 10 bolt decks, thinner walls, etc all come into play. They can and are used to a point with success, but I think it comes with a reliability/longevity price. And ANYBODY that has done it will tell you, tune-up can be a deal breaker.

You might want to research your self
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior December 7th 2014, 6:51 pm

the Coug wrote:
QtrWarrior wrote:Seems like I remember Erica Ortiz had a twin turbo BB in her 86 T-Bird...

guess he needs to get them to build him one and TUNE IT FOR HIM....

That wasn't the question .. was it ?
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightmare AA/FA December 7th 2014, 9:35 pm

There are guys who have blown fuel and alcohol with stock heads, block and crank.

Nightmare AA/FA

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 7th 2014, 10:27 pm

Depends on your ability and how much you want to push it.

Sometimes people get away with making big time power with the stock stuff others can break them in a stock rebuild.

Id first consider safety, going real fast can get hairy and oil on the track can cause pain.....

Then I'd look at cost, is the sum of the cost for the balance of the motor worth wasting if a block breaks? I wouldn't put a $3500 crank, $1800 rods and a $1200 serif pistons in a factory block and try and make 2000 hp.... Because you have very high odds of scattering things.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior December 7th 2014, 10:31 pm

dfree383 wrote:Depends on your ability and how much you want to push it.

Sometimes people get away with making big time power with the stock stuff others can break them in a stock rebuild.

Id first consider safety, going real fast can get hairy and oil on the track can cause pain.....

Then I'd look at cost, is the sum of the cost for the balance of the motor worth wasting if a block breaks? I wouldn't put a $3500 crank, $1800 rods and a $1200 serif pistons in a factory block and try and make 2000 hp.... Because you have very high odds of scattering things.

Some of these combo's happened long before we got all these good blocks and cranks..
The guys Vince is talking about were doing it in the 80's...
I know, because Dad was working with Van and Billy and saw the parts they were running...

Now, we have better parts and choices they didn't have....
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr December 8th 2014, 12:14 am

^^^^^^^ x2 if it worked then it will work now...... The question should be is it cost effective with the after market we have today Exclamation
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker December 8th 2014, 6:52 am

Seems like a valid question that nobody has answered yet.
Way to go guys Rolling Eyes
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior December 8th 2014, 8:28 am

dirt_worker wrote:Seems like a valid question that nobody has answered yet.

Maybe it's because we know its been done, but not what kind of power they were making.. Rolling Eyes
2800 lbs car going 6.60's or so would have to be making over 2000 (as a guess)..

Do you know the answer ??
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 December 8th 2014, 12:33 pm

dirt_worker wrote:Seems like a valid question that nobody has answered yet.

I wouldn't go more than 1200 on a stock 4 bolt block, 1000 on a 2 bolt with boost.... How's that? Is that a good answer to a fuzzy wide open question with a whole lot of variables.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightmare AA/FA December 8th 2014, 1:33 pm

gmsmkr wrote:^^^^^^^ x2 if it worked then it will work now...... The question should be is it cost effective with the after market we have today Exclamation

I'm "new" to the blown Ford drag racing world.  What I'm finding out is the price for new parts is comparable to new Hemi or Chevy parts from Keith Black, AJPE,or BAE.  It's the used parts market that's is the difference.  The racing market is flooded with used Hemi and Chevy parts at a much lower cost.

From what I've learned, a stock Ford 385 series block is a very stout deal.

Nightmare AA/FA

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 8th 2014, 4:36 pm

gordyd4 wrote:What is the Factory 460 block hp capability under boost before problems start  
If you know the tricks for preparing the block for such high power applications, they can support over a thousand horsepower reliably, and for years to come. And they have been known to support thousands.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 8th 2014, 4:38 pm

J.Toney wrote:...Do a little seaching around. Main webbing, caps, 10 bolt decks, thinner walls, etc all come into play...And ANYBODY that has done it will tell you, tune-up can be a deal breaker.
A bad tune-up can destroy a $3000 Eliminator Premier block just the same.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 8th 2014, 4:44 pm

As Erica Ortiz describes below, in her own words:

Pro5.0Princess wrote:
I was running a Stock Ford 4 bolt 460 block filled with concrete. We ran 6.88@ 207mph with a cast crank in the car...Any questions regarding combination can be directed to Mr. Al Moody in Mableton, GA. He is the engine guru behind my car...
In another post she mentioned that the engine builder estimated 1700 hp.  They had in intended to dyno the engine when it came out for a freshening.  I recently corresponded with her (just a few weeks ago) and during our conversation she estimated 1800 hp to me.

The link below is footage of her car making a pass (the root beer colored twin turbo T-Bird in the far lane):

6 Second Run, Bristol - YouTube
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior December 8th 2014, 5:13 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
As Erica Ortiz describes below, in her own words:

Pro5.0Princess wrote:
I was running a Stock Ford 4 bolt 460 block filled with concrete. We ran 6.88@ 207mph with a cast crank in the car...Any questions regarding combination can be directed to Mr. Al Moody in Mableton, GA. He is the engine guru behind my car...
In another post she mentioned that the engine builder estimated 1700 hp.  They had in intended to dyno the engine when it came out for a freshening.  I recently corresponded with her (just a few weeks ago) and during our conversation she estimated 1800 hp to me.

The link below is footage of her car making a pass (the root beer colored twin turbo T-Bird in the far lane):

6 Second Run, Bristol - YouTube

Thanks Paul, that was the quote of Erica's I was thinking about...
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down