BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tunnel Rams for the Street??

+15
busta
IDT-572
XF-66
yellowhorse7
schmitty
gmsmkr
466cj
kim
FalconEh
bbf-falcon
David Willingham
maverick
dfree383
the Coug
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tunnel Rams for the Street?? Empty Tunnel Rams for the Street??

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse September 5th 2014, 2:15 pm

Are Tunnel Rams a thing of the past or are they doable as part of a "High HP Street Cruiser"?

I have seen that Eagle has a 501 CID rotating assembly for 70CC heads this yields a 13:1 CR.

Would this assembly fleshed out with a ported set of FMS or Blue Thunder SCJ aluminum heads, a port matched Weiand Team G Tunnel Ram, Twin E-85 modified 750 Holley Dominators and a moderate grind flat tappet or solid roller cam( Hot Rod idle) be enough to get a typical Maverick/Comet or Fox Mustang into the High 10's-Low 11's on muscle alone/ High 9's-Low 10's with a pair of Sniper NOS plates?

Is this making sense only in my fevered mind???
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Back to top Go down

Tunnel Rams for the Street?? Empty Re: Tunnel Rams for the Street??

Post  the Coug September 5th 2014, 2:17 pm

I am just curious as a coon dog to see how you are gonna put a big block chevy tunnel Ram on a big block ford?

One other thing E85 is not all it is cracked up to be.....it messes with carbs badly, ask me how I know! been fighting it for years now and I hate the Chit, they use a binder that makes the water base ethanol bind to a petroleum product and it really screws with carbs, you have to put a enzyme remover or stabilizer in the fuel to settle it down..... or you will chase your tail like I have for 3 years......
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse September 5th 2014, 2:29 pm

the Coug wrote:I am just curious as a coon dog to see how you are gonna put a big block chevy tunnel Ram on a big block ford?

One other thing E85 is not all it is cracked up to be.....it messes with carbs badly, ask me how I know!  been fighting it for years now and I hate the Chit, they use a binder that makes the water base ethanol bind to a petroleum product and it really screws with carbs, you have to put a enzyme remover or stabilizer in the fuel to settle it down..... or you will chase your tail like I have for 3 years......

That is a valid question but I swear I found 4-6 online with the search Weiand Tunnel Ram BBF. I hope my scrounging skills are not deficient.
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 5th 2014, 2:56 pm

Weiand does in fact make a Tunnel Ram for Big block fords, BUT the Team G is a Big Block Chevy tunnel Ram, I know cuz I have one for my BBC
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse September 5th 2014, 3:22 pm

the Coug wrote:Weiand does in fact make a Tunnel Ram for Big block fords, BUT the Team G is a Big Block Chevy tunnel Ram, I know cuz I have one for my BBC
Mea Culpa fellas on my faux pa.

I had never read about fuel stabilizer or additives to make E-85 work but forwarned is forearmed.
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 5th 2014, 3:59 pm

A TR is a pain in the ass...... Use a single dominator and a TFS 4500 single 4.

It will make as much power as a TR with 2x4150s and be much easier for an amateur like yourself to setup, work on and tune.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 5th 2014, 4:41 pm

dfree383 wrote:A TR is a pain in the ass...... Use a single dominator and a TFS 4500 single 4.

It will make as much power as a TR with 2x4150s and be much easier for an amateur like yourself to setup, work on and tune.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One Dominator will make you much happier than a pair of 4150's. To me, 2 carbs on a BBF means 2 Dominators on a full boogie race deal.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 5th 2014, 4:57 pm

I'm certainly not an expert on Weiand manifolds, but I do know this....I have a good friend who has a Team G manifold on a 451" MoPar wedge. That engine and this thread lead me to believe that "Team G" might refer to a series or type of manifold made by Weiand, not brand specific.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham September 5th 2014, 6:22 pm

A single 4 will be lighter by a good bit also.
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 5th 2014, 6:28 pm

maverick wrote:I'm certainly not an expert on Weiand manifolds, but I do know this....I have a good friend who has a Team G manifold on a 451" MoPar wedge.  That engine and this thread lead me to believe that "Team G" might refer to a series or type of manifold made by Weiand, not brand specific.

Yep I see that but they do not make one for fords
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 5th 2014, 7:25 pm

If it's for Nostralgic COOL factor ,YES they are cool,but for performance,like was said, go w/single 4.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse September 5th 2014, 8:02 pm

the Coug wrote:
maverick wrote:I'm certainly not an expert on Weiand manifolds, but I do know this....I have a good friend who has a Team G manifold on a 451" MoPar wedge.  That engine and this thread lead me to believe that "Team G" might refer to a series or type of manifold made by Weiand, not brand specific.

True no Team G for BBF, rookie mistake. How does the rest of the combo sound minus the TR?

Yep I see that but they do not make one for fords

Last edited by Dark Horse of Apocalypse on September 5th 2014, 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick September 5th 2014, 8:33 pm

It seems crazy that they didn't make a Team G for Fords. If memory serves, I think I've even seen one on a Kelvinator (AMC) 401.
I wonder how many of those they sold? Rolling Eyes
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh September 5th 2014, 8:44 pm

maverick wrote:It seems crazy that they didn't make a Team G for Fords.  If memory serves, I think I've even seen one on a Kelvinator (AMC) 401.
lol! I bet they sold more GM power steering pumps to the AMC crowd ssssqqqqqqeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllccccccccHHHHHHHHH

FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  kim September 5th 2014, 10:38 pm

[quote="FalconEh"]
maverick wrote:It seems crazy that they didn't make a Team G for Fords.  If memory serves, I think I've even seen one on a Kelvinator (AMC) 401.
lol! I bet they sold more GM power steering pumps to the AMC crowd ssssqqqqqqeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllccccccccHHHHHHHHH

[/q]

mustang pump whine cure......... replace with GM Saginaw pump.......

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  kim September 5th 2014, 10:42 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:If it's for Nostralgic COOL factor ,YES they are cool,but for performance,like was said, go w/single 4.

I beg to differ.... and the reason most tunnel rams make shit for power when used by idiots, is they try to keep the carb size to single carb size calculation. If an engine carb demand comes up with 1000 cfm....... two 500s on a tunnel ram isn't the answer. Two 1000 cfm carbs is.

The straight shot for fuel, the ability to do a proper runner taper, all adds velocity and the ability to carry fuel without fuel fall out issues. Most people undercarb a tunnel ram, then bitch that they get no performance.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj September 6th 2014, 6:11 pm

Best way on the street if you want to use a TR and E85 is use EFI on it. It is a pain in the butt to add injecter bungs on the Weiand, but can be done. For TB's find some from a Mopar Magnum 5.3L or 5.9L. They flow about 633 cfm each stock and can be modded easily for over 700 cfm, are cheap, light weight, low profile, and use same air cleaner ring size as a holley. They have 2 50mm throttle blades and best way is to mount them is in line. Just need make an adapter plate out of aluminum. Get a Megasquirt II to control it all and mod a wiring harness from something common like a 4.6L and there you go.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr September 6th 2014, 6:18 pm

I have run a tunnel ram on the streets for a long time my first hot rod was that's where I learned to tune
Dad said if you want it to look cool you deal with the problems that cool comes with.

Once I learned and got it straight they perform great jm .02 tongue
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse September 8th 2014, 1:03 pm

466cj wrote:Best way on the street if you want to use a TR and E85 is use EFI on it. It is a pain in the butt to add injecter bungs on the Weiand, but can be done. For TB's find some from a Mopar Magnum 5.3L or 5.9L. They flow about 633 cfm each stock and can be modded easily for over 700 cfm, are cheap, light weight, low profile, and use same air cleaner ring size as a holley. They have 2 50mm throttle blades and best way is to mount them is in line. Just need make an adapter plate out of aluminum. Get a Megasquirt II to control it all and mod a wiring harness from something common like a 4.6L and there you go.

gmsmkr wrote:I have run a tunnel ram on the streets for a long time my first hot rod was that's where I learned to tune
Dad said if you want it to look cool you deal with the problems that cool comes with.

Once I learned and got it straight they perform great     jm .02 tongue

Thanks for the great ideas fellas.
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 8th 2014, 1:16 pm

There are a heck of a lot of twin dominator carb deals out there that didn't hit the power my single carb deal did.  And even if you added a third one they still wouldn't catch up.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Dark Horse of Apocalypse September 8th 2014, 1:25 pm

schmitty wrote:There are a heck of a lot of twin dominator carb deals out there that didn't hit the power my single carb deal did.  And even if you added a third one they still wouldn't catch up.

What ya Got??
Dark Horse of Apocalypse
Dark Horse of Apocalypse

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 8th 2014, 2:04 pm

schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 September 8th 2014, 2:07 pm

Dark Horse of Apocalypse wrote:
schmitty wrote:There are a heck of a lot of twin dominator carb deals out there that didn't hit the power my single carb deal did.  And even if you added a third one they still wouldn't catch up.

What ya Got??

Then either your deal makes BIG power or the people who people who put together the 2 dommies were clueless. When it comes to MAX POWER, 2 carbs will always beat a single PROVIDED the rest of the package is built around having 2 carbs. Notice how I said that....
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  kim September 8th 2014, 2:35 pm

Twin dominators on a tunnel ram.  Just an upgrade to the 4 webbers.  A tuneable venturi for each cylinder.  The dominators just reduce the linkage headache.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 8th 2014, 5:51 pm

kim wrote:Twin dominators on a tunnel ram.  Just an upgrade to the 4 webbers.  A tuneable venturi for each cylinder.  The dominators just reduce the linkage headache.

Useless on big inch engines..... Can't get big enough carbs.

You don't need multiple carbs to make big power.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next