BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow cranking, popping at idle and high rpms

+3
1lowet
supervel45
bb429power
7 posters

Go down

Slow cranking, popping at idle and high rpms Empty Slow cranking, popping at idle and high rpms

Post  bb429power April 13th 2014, 1:33 pm

Alright well I finally got insurance on the new ride, my 67 fairlane with a 514. It has always started very easily and quickly, but once it gets hot it was giving me issues with cranking slow like the battery is dead. Well now it cranks slow no matter what temp it is. But if I let it keep cranking over very slow, it speeds up then starts like it got momentum. It used to start as soon as I would push the button! Then I started having this issue with it popping out of the exhaust at idle, and when it has that issue it also with start popping/banging at higher rpms like 3500-4000 and higher if it will let it rev more.

I fixed the popping issue when I pulled the cap and rotor and I think the rotor wasn't properly on, but now it's back again and I can't get it to go away. Not sure if both problems have a single cause or not. I changed the ignition solenoid yesterday and it helped the starting problem at first, if I jumped the old solenoid with a screwdriver it would crank good. Then when I hit the start button it would crank good and the first try, then if you let off of it and tried again it would barely crank again.

I have a race coming up (of course) and I have a lot to figure out with this car now that I'm having these problems. I'm going to continue trying things today, if anyone has an idea please let me know. I want to swap the distributor, check grounds and wires.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Slow cranking, popping at idle and high rpms Empty Re: Slow cranking, popping at idle and high rpms

Post  supervel45 April 13th 2014, 2:00 pm

Load test the battery after you fully charge it, and check your grounds and all connections.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Slow cranking, popping at idle and high rpms Empty starting

Post  1lowet April 13th 2014, 3:23 pm

I had those starting issues and found I had to move my ground to block instead of using chassis. Own the mud truck I found battery cable was to small to carry current.  Smile 

1lowet

Back to top Go down

Slow cranking, popping at idle and high rpms Empty Re: Slow cranking, popping at idle and high rpms

Post  aquartlow April 13th 2014, 4:08 pm

If the wiring and battery check out "good", installing a PMGR (Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction) starter will do wonders to ease your starting problem. DB Electrical has one for a great price, though I have had an issue or two with mine(they have EXCELLENT customer service) and I had to send it back for replacement. If you want to stay with a Motorcraft starter look for one that fits a '92-'97 F250-F350 w/ 460, they are very good starters. Here is a pic of the DB unit as compared to a stock 460 starter that utilizes a fender mounted starter solenoid.
Slow cranking, popping at idle and high rpms 460-starter-012

The PGMR starter(either DB Electrical or Motorcraft) is much smaller in size which helps with heat and/or header/exhaust clearance. Hope this helps. Todd
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. April 13th 2014, 4:20 pm

If your battery is bad I'd replace it with a 16 volt.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  dirt_worker April 13th 2014, 5:21 pm

Id be looking for a bad connection or a ground issue.
dirt_worker
dirt_worker

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug April 13th 2014, 6:50 pm

Justin think of it like this you  are trying to start the engine not the frame, so engine ground is a must, you should never use the frame as a ground source.....

now for the back firing at idle or open throttle I would be looking at a timing issue, plug wires, spark plugs I have see distributors with slack in the shafts give illicide timing, also manifold leakage (vacuum leak)also check your connection for crimp if questionable soldier them voltage drop will mess with  a lot of issues...hope this helps....also check to make sure you haven't got a plug wire crossed on the wrong plug....

Last edited by the Coug on April 13th 2014, 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 April 13th 2014, 6:51 pm

1lowet wrote:I had those starting issues and found I had to move my ground to block instead of using chassis. Own the mud truck I found battery cable was to small to carry current.  Smile 
This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^Get some diesel battery wires, they work wonders.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power April 21st 2014, 12:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone  Smile Sorry it took so long to respond, I work a lot and can only get personal stuff done on the weekends. I pulled the starter out which ended up being a factory one, although it was small like a mini starter (sort of). Think was jacked up, the smell was on mine and my buddies hands for a day or two after we pulled it apart. I got a CVR starter and it cranks fine now! As for the tuning issue, I tried another distributor and all was well, swapped the MSD back in and had the same issue. I got it to go away but I now have a flat spot at about 4k then it picks back up. Not sure what's going on there but I can't really make any repairs on this distributor.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. April 21st 2014, 1:04 pm

Is the timing steady at 4k?

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power April 21st 2014, 1:09 pm

Dave C. wrote:Is the timing steady at 4k?

I'll have to check it, I've been changing out the advance springs. It has the flat spot with the original springs in it, and I don't remember it doing it before. They are both heavy springs so I'm thinking at 4k it is throwing the timing around, I'd lock it out but I don't have a start retard.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down