BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Injection

+4
supervel45
richter69
the Coug
BigSmut79
8 posters

Go down

Fuel Injection Empty Fuel Injection

Post  BigSmut79 March 17th 2014, 9:29 am

Hi, I'm new into the engine world but am looking to get involved now that I have some spare time. I understand the basics of how the engine works but I have a few questions towards area's I'm not as knowledgeable in. First off I was told before in the past (don't know how true it is) is there such thing as running pump gas injection? As in running fuel lines into a tunnel ram or any intake. I know you can run alcohol and other race fuels but I was curious towards knowing if pump gas would work as well.

BigSmut79

Back to top Go down

Fuel Injection Empty Re: Fuel Injection

Post  the Coug March 17th 2014, 9:36 am

are you referring to constant flow fuel injection?
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 17th 2014, 9:47 am

Pump gas will work but it needs to be EFI, Methanol/Nitromethane can be MFI.

I know a few have done E85 and even VP Q16 MFI but its a bit touchy......
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  BigSmut79 March 17th 2014, 9:52 am

Like mechanical injection, with an injector hat. I'm not sure what the term would be. I know you can run fuel lines into the bosses provided on the intake. I was just trying to figure out if you can run pump gas through the lines into the intake like you would with race fuel. Race fuel is quite expensive compared to pump gas. So it has me very curious to find the answer.

BigSmut79

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 17th 2014, 9:53 am

I don't think there is such a term as pump gas injection. Anything is possiable though. The term pump gas is usually used alone, when refering to low octane gasoline that is sold for public road use.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  BigSmut79 March 17th 2014, 9:55 am

So you wouldn't be able to run an Enderle hat with EFI would you?

BigSmut79

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 17th 2014, 10:02 am

I see what your after,I needed another coup of coffee. E85 might work if you don't want to run race gas. You use alot more fuel when you burn acky, than gas, and the MFI is not as precise as EFI, so it is harder to meter gasoline with it.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 March 17th 2014, 10:27 am

I would check with BDS, I think they may have and Enderle style hat that is EFI? Not sure what your after, the look, or performance? May be able to get both, and better driveability with a EFI/Hat?

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 17th 2014, 12:06 pm

BigSmut79 wrote:So you wouldn't be able to run an Enderle hat with EFI would you?

Your questions are all over the board so to speak. Pumping fluid through a jet into a tunnel ram (or whatever intake) is what mechanical fuel injection is. I don't think it really matters what the actual fluid is (alcohol or whatever) as long as you run the correct supporting equipment like pumps and jets etc. Alcohol uses considerably more volume than gasoline but it also costs a lot less. EFI or electronic fuel injection can be used in many ways. You can put fuel injectors in regular intakes, tunnel rams whatever. BDS does make a injector style hat with a plate that holds fuel injectors as well. This can certainly be used with pump gas if that is what you are after.

Here is what it looks like. The scoop and plate right below it can be used on top of a tunnel ram with an adapter.

Fuel Injection Blower

This is another way to run efi and is also available in mechanical fuel injection.

Fuel Injection BBFord_SCJ_EFI

Here is a converted 4 bbl intake as well.

Fuel Injection 460oscarintake1_zpsf50aed69

Blue Thunder also makes this intake that you can use with a hat and can be converted to efi or mfi.

Fuel Injection 460BTinectionmanifoldE-460BT_zps201cd36e
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FordMudBogger15 March 17th 2014, 1:18 pm

Another question I have is if I was to just slap a hat onto a tunnel ram would it be a huge power loss if I was to run a hat just for looks instead of running injection of any sort. Is there any gains or losses with this?

FordMudBogger15

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 17th 2014, 3:36 pm

FordMudBogger15 wrote:Another question I have is if I was to just slap a hat onto a tunnel ram would it be a huge power loss if I was to run a hat just for looks instead of running injection of any sort. Is there any gains or losses with this?

I was wondering just what are you going to use to distribute fuel in this Tunnel Ram setup? just a hat on a Tunnel Ram for looks.....mmmmmm just what is going to give this engine fuel or is this just one of those push cars for show? Rolling Eyes and if you just slap a Hat on a Tunnel Ram it's Power loss will be 100% if you have no fuel in it to run the engine
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  FordMudBogger15 March 17th 2014, 4:11 pm

Very true never thought of it like that, well I have an enderle hat that was in the garage of the home that I had bought so I'm leaning towards using this hat if my build follows through. What's the cheapest kind of race fuel to run? As in $'s per gallon?

FordMudBogger15

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj March 17th 2014, 4:40 pm

They make both mechanical and electronic hat fuel injection systems. Just know it is not cheap.

If all you want is the look, use a carb and put a hat on top of that. Just make sure the throttles open when you step on the gas pedal.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 17th 2014, 4:51 pm

What kind of vehicle do you have and what are your goals? There is no "cheap" in anything you are talking about.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  FordMudBogger15 March 17th 2014, 5:14 pm

Do you know of any sites that sell the electronic injection hat? The application will probably be goin in a bog truck so whatever form of alcohol/race gas that will keep it running cool.

FordMudBogger15

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 17th 2014, 9:02 pm

BDS is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

These guys do that for a living check with them www.goodvibrations.com look under tunnel rams.

Here is another place.

https://www.alkydigger.net/technicalinfo.php

jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 March 17th 2014, 9:44 pm

Ok....lots of good replys...
Fuel injection can be EFI or old school Constant Flow.
You can run gas....any octane or flavor...or alky with either.
Some sanctioning bodies do not allow EFI.
Hat....Flying Toilet...whatever throttle body makes no difference.
Single, tunnel ram....no problem.
Just decide what you want to do and get it done.
You will always make more net power with a tunnel ram.
Call any time for more info
Keith
678-458-2033
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down