BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solid lifter valve adjustment frequency

+6
dfree383
soupbean
rmcomprandy
Dave C.
richter69
BigRigTech
10 posters

Go down

Solid lifter valve adjustment frequency Empty Solid lifter valve adjustment frequency

Post  BigRigTech July 10th 2013, 8:54 pm

How often should you need to adjust a SFT valvetrain????

I have a Comp cams solid flat camshaft with Howards face oiling lifters. Comp/Manley pushrods, PRW stainless roller rockers and PRW stud girdle. I'm turning this thing about 6400rpm each pass and the D2 PI heads have stock valves with Comp 987 dual springs shimmed. I check the the valvetrain after each race along with cutting open the oil filter. I put 9 passes on the car last weekend and as usual I find a couple that need adjusting. The cam specs .022" lash, I usually find one or two that are .025-.026". The engine is working great, nothing out of the ordinary in the oil filter. My hope is to get through the summer and have good race valves put in the heads next winter along with some more porting unless the $$$ are there for some SCJ aluminum heads.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Solid lifter valve adjustment frequency Empty Re: Solid lifter valve adjustment frequency

Post  richter69 July 10th 2013, 8:59 pm

I like to pull the covers off and havea look every 7-8 passes. hell i still got the same oil and filter in it from a year ago lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Solid lifter valve adjustment frequency Empty Re: Solid lifter valve adjustment frequency

Post  Dave C. July 10th 2013, 9:03 pm

I like to stay on top of em too. Make sure you are setting them the same way each time and record the ones that are off so you can look back and see if there is a pattern / problem developing . There's more than one way to set em .
+

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech July 10th 2013, 9:23 pm

Only one to be adjusted this time and I think it was an adjustment error by yours truly last time. #6 intake rocker arm was .026". I usually adjust the valve slightly tight, snug the lock nut down against the rocker stud and re-check it. The adjustment is usually perfect - in my mind:) once the lock nut has pulled the adjuster up on the threads. I then tighten up the stud girdle. I was taught to adjust the valves on a 60 series Detroit this way, if you didn't make the a smidge tight before you torqued the jamb nut they would always be looser than you wanted once they were torqued. I'm open to suggestions if you guys have a faster or more consistant way.Very Happy 
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. July 10th 2013, 10:15 pm

Look up Dragzine 'How to adjust valves like a pro'Cool 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 10th 2013, 11:34 pm

All engines are different ... adjust them whenever they need to be adjusted. Check them often.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean July 11th 2013, 12:06 am

There are reasons for it but my maintenance schedule has become pulling the valve covers after EVERY pass for a quick inspection, checking valve lash after every race weekend, and changing oil/filter after every 3 race weekends. I also now have screens in the heads return oil passages as well as in the lifter galley. If I find a repeat valve lash in excess of .005 loose, I start digging.
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 11th 2013, 12:10 am

I'd check the lash abd inspect the valvetrain parts before every race and write down the findings in a log book. Should be no reason to relash, unless something is going on.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech July 11th 2013, 7:40 am

I made not of the loose rocker arm this time so I can look for a pattern next time.Wink 
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney July 11th 2013, 7:16 pm

I check em before loading every race.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 July 12th 2013, 12:31 am

Barney wrote:I check em before loading every race.

x2
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  soupbean July 12th 2013, 1:47 am

To me checking AFTER a race would be preferred. If there is an issue, you have time to fix before the next race.
soupbean
soupbean

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech July 12th 2013, 7:13 am

I check them right after each race so I have some time to deal with any damage I find. There are races this weekend about 5hrs away from here but my next "home" race is August 16-17.
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave July 12th 2013, 8:54 am

If I may, offer an approach to your maintenance question. When an engine is new, we check the areas you mention closely and frequently. Looking for changes in lash, valve tip wear, rocker arm wear, pushrod condition and spring pressures. Once the engine "settles in" our routine maintenance follows a 25 run schedule. Oil, oil filter (changed, opened, inspected), fuel filter and yes, ALL valve train components. If the 25 run maintenance schedule becomes uneventful, we move the maintenance schedule to 50 runs as long as the engine performs consistently. We have very good results following the above guidelines.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow November 13th 2013, 11:37 am

you guys always go to exactly whats on cam card ? or it being every engine is different there always a happy medium.

i have heard of guys setting lash on a cold engine vs a hot engine
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 13th 2013, 3:46 pm

5pointslow wrote:you guys always go to exactly whats on cam card ? or it being every engine is different there always a happy medium.

i have heard of guys setting lash on a cold engine vs a hot engine
The cam card is a compromise ... .006" either way on intake OR exhaust to whatever will give the best performance.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down