BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dura spark info

+3
David Cole
rmcomprandy
Super Snake Steve
7 posters

Go down

Dura spark info  Empty Dura spark info

Post  Super Snake Steve April 26th 2013, 10:51 pm

Need to be pointed in the right Direction I have been kicking around the idea of buying a new Distributor msd 8350 for the easy of tuning it but from reading post on here it seems a Properly set up dura spark works great and even if I Got the new dizzy that don't mean I still know how to set it up and my money might be best spent on paying someone to set up dura spark and then Educate me on my Application and what I need to do I've heard MSD don't have the best customer service so with all that said is there a vendor on here that I could call and send my Distributor to tell him my specs have and have it set up thanks in advance

Super Snake Steve

Back to top Go down

Dura spark info  Empty Re: Dura spark info

Post  rmcomprandy April 26th 2013, 11:54 pm

MSD uses a Ford magnetic impulse unit in their distributors.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole April 26th 2013, 11:57 pm

Both distributors work essentially the same. With the MSD you get bearings vs bushings on the shaft and easier adjustability.

With MSD the advance mechanism is in the top with nothing really to disassemble if you want to make changes. Very easy to do it yourself. Comes with a chart, springs and bushings to control the amount of advance. You wouldn't really need MSD tech to help you.

If you want to tinker with it get the best possible performance get the MSD. 5 minute in car changes.

If you are more of a set it and forget it type the Duraspark works great. It's not hard to change but a little more involved to make changes. It can be done in car but it's best on the bench.

Here is a good site that shows how to recurve a Duraspark.

http://reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_index.html
He also sells them already recurred fit your application.

David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Dura spark info  Empty Thanks David

Post  Super Snake Steve April 27th 2013, 12:30 am

I do like to tinker and get it right on the money and if it can be done in the car and with the chart I should have no problem it's just nice to hear someone explain it the way you did plus I can get rid of the Module on the fender well and make it look nicer under the hood thanks for the quick reply.
PS I think I'm going to try and paint the cap blue not sure I like the red have to wait and see how it looks installed

Super Snake Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  342g April 27th 2013, 10:36 am

Super Snake Steve wrote:I do like to tinker and get it right on the money and if it can be done in the car and with the chart I should have no problem it's just nice to hear someone explain it the way you did plus I can get rid of the Module on the fender well and make it look nicer under the hood thanks for the quick reply.
PS I think I'm going to try and paint the cap blue not sure I like the red have to wait and see how it looks installed

YOU CAN GET BLUE CAPS.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird April 27th 2013, 10:58 am

If you want it to stay right on the money,you'll need to lock it out. Either one will let the timing move as it goes up in rpm until they reach full advance.I've ran both and seen no performance difference.
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon April 27th 2013, 11:32 am

X2,the bearings is the only diff. No perf. improvment. Locked out dizzy's are overrated too imo.pita

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Dura spark info  Empty Dura spark

Post  Super Snake Steve April 27th 2013, 11:44 am

I checked out the web site David gave and for 155 bucks I'm done vs 350 dollars for msd and they set it up for my Application and its a Street driver 429scj trw 30 over crane roller rockers heads ported on Exhaust side now I need a new carb had a holly 750 and went to a eddy dam I wish I had my holly back I think it can Handel an 850 or maybe a 770 Ultra street avenger any input

Super Snake Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 27th 2013, 12:42 pm

I would go with the holley 850
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Snake Steve April 27th 2013, 4:00 pm

I think your right vacuum advance is more forgiving and my cam is 563 intake and 583 exhaust can't remember the Duration but its rpm range is 3800 to 7400

Super Snake Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down