BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radiator support

4 posters

Go down

Radiator support Empty Radiator support

Post  tconnection March 22nd 2013, 10:12 pm

Can the radiator support be removed or does it have some to do with chassis twist?
Having trouble with fan clearance to water pump.
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Radiator support Empty Re: Radiator support

Post  jeffgfg March 22nd 2013, 11:00 pm

The core support usually holds the front end together on full frame cars and on unibody cars it is a main chassis part and depending on the type of car, removing it could cause excess chassis flex. I have seen flipping the radiator to in front of the core support, If you need a lot of room and using a "short" T-bird water pump if you just need a little bit of room. Bottom line I wouldn't remove it.

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield March 22nd 2013, 11:03 pm

jeffgfg wrote:The core support usually holds the front end together on full frame cars and on unibody cars it is a main chassis part and depending on the type of car, removing it could cause excess chassis flex. I have seen flipping the radiator to in front of the core support, If you need a lot of room and using a "short" T-bird water pump if you just need a little bit of room. Bottom line I wouldn't remove it.

X2
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection March 22nd 2013, 11:35 pm

Im using a motor plate and manual water pump and a fan out of a 94 tarus. The motor plate forced the basic notching to major notching and i have notched it really thin. U think i need to weld some flat bar cross the width. I have notched the heck out of it.
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection March 23rd 2013, 2:02 pm

This is an 89 fox body with 10 point on out riggers with 2x3in tubeing tieing the bottom in from front to back, with bars from the apillow bars through the fire wall to strut tower then to behind the head lights and gonna go with the front bumper bar. I didnt mention all this the first time. So im asking the same question. Is the upper part of the radiator support mandatory?
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 23rd 2013, 3:30 pm

cut it. with everything else you have it will be fine. it is not structural now as some think. it was meant to attach the radiator and front bumper cover/headlight assembly to and to tie the factory frame rails together in stock form but as you already stated it is not stock anymore with the additions you have made. you will just have to figure out a way to support things another way if it's gone.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection March 23rd 2013, 3:42 pm

Ok thanks. Im gonna just kinda relocate it some what, just to get my fan and radiator relaxed.
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down