BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Pan Sump Mod

+2
dfree383
maicoman
6 posters

Go down

Oil Pan Sump Mod Empty Oil Pan Sump Mod

Post  maicoman March 2nd 2013, 9:03 am

Hello to all.Past few months I've been doing a 460 install into a 67 mustang.I mounted the drive train as low & back as possable so that I can close the stock hood & mount a big radiator & mechanical cooling fan.I now find that oil pan is such a big target.Got 5" of ground clearence.Which should really be enought but doesn't look it. Stock pan is 9"deep.I keep looking at the 428 pans that are 6" deep & have been thinking about removing an inch or 2 from the deep sump, moving the floor (bottom of the pan) up.Then add the capacty back by wideing the pan.Make it look like a circle track pan.Any suggestions other then a skid plate.Looking forward to your input. Tom

maicoman

Back to top Go down

Oil Pan Sump Mod Empty Re: Oil Pan Sump Mod

Post  dfree383 March 2nd 2013, 9:37 am

what pan are you using now?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce March 2nd 2013, 9:43 am

Tom: First of all, the 428 (FE) motors were a "Y" block design - hence the shallow looking oil pan. You don't have that luxury with the 385 engine series. If you want to take anything out of the depth of the sump, where will your oil pump, and pick up be? You might find a rear sump, double sump, and pick up to suit your needs, or you will have to go external pump / dry sump system ($$). Good luck.

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Never mind, I just reread your post.

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  maicoman March 2nd 2013, 10:05 am

Oil pan is stock front sump. Cannot go with rear sump pan the steering rack is there.If I remove an inch from the pan floor I would do the same to the oil pump pickup tube. I would then add some 2"x3" tubing along the sides of the pan to increase the oil capacity. A quick gess is I probably gain a quart or 2 by the time im done.That 2x3 tubing would be full of oil. It would still be below the stock full oil level as shown on the dip stick. Thanks for the early quick responce. Tom south florida

maicoman

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryS March 2nd 2013, 12:27 pm

5" is plenty of clearance. My bellhousing takes the heads off wood chucks long before the pan hits!
GaryS
GaryS

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 2nd 2013, 12:32 pm

maicoman wrote:Hello to all.Past few months I've been doing a 460 install into a 67 mustang.I mounted the drive train as low & back as possable so that I can close the stock hood & mount a big radiator & mechanical cooling fan.I now find that oil pan is such a big target.Got 5" of ground clearence.Which should really be enought but doesn't look it. Stock pan is 9"deep.I keep looking at the 428 pans that are 6" deep & have been thinking about removing an inch or 2 from the deep sump, moving the floor (bottom of the pan) up.Then add the capacty back by wideing the pan.Make it look like a circle track pan.Any suggestions other then a skid plate.Looking forward to your input. Tom

What you are thinking about should work fine imo. w/kickouts as long as the headers clear the kickouts.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick March 2nd 2013, 12:39 pm

5" of clearance? That thing's a rock crawler compared to my heap. Cool
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content