BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

quality ten point rollcage kit?

+3
69F100
richter69
bigblok2000ranger
7 posters

Go down

quality ten point rollcage kit? Empty quality ten point rollcage kit?

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 5th 2013, 11:58 pm

Who makes a good quality kit for an SN95 Mustang, have heard there may some thickness issues with some kits. I need a quality kit that will pass sonic check and cert to 8.50. Maybe someone/company that has a written guarantee on wall thickness.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

quality ten point rollcage kit? Empty Re: quality ten point rollcage kit?

Post  richter69 February 6th 2013, 12:33 am

try S&W racecars
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 February 6th 2013, 12:39 am

A.R.T. is where I bought mine they will make what ever model you want if they don't have it already in stock.

http://www.appliedracing.com/

http://www.appliedracing.com/roll-bars-cages-and-components/roll-cages-1.html
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 6th 2013, 7:54 am

I think most of the "store bought" mild steel bar/cage kits out there should pass sonic testing anyway since most "kits" use either.......

(A) The .120" wall DOM "seamless" mild steel (not turely "seamless" since it does infact have a welded seam, it's just not visable). It's a higher cost material, but has tighter OD & wall thickness manufacturing tolerances. From what I have seen the mild steel DOM .120" wall usually sonic tests somewhere right at .120" wall (say the .1198" to .1210" range). Just enough of a margin above the .118" rule book minimum.

Or (B) the cheaper, visable welded seam .134" wall industrial grade mild steel. It's available in both hot & cold rolled manufacturing process, cost less than DOM, but has looser manufacturing tolerances than DOM. It's looser manufacturing tolerances is the reason for using the .134" wall instead of the .120" wall when using the industrial grade "visable seam" stuff. Because of it's looser manufacturing tolerances the visable seam .134" mild steel might sonic test anywhere from say .133" down to say .127" (cold rolled) and about .136" down to .124" (hot rolled) depending on production runs & where it's from/made. IIRC the worst .134" wall seamed tubing I tested was about .121" thick, the thin spot ran right along/next to the seam. But even then it was still above the .118" rule book minumim.

I think the real reason the bar/cage "kits" get bad press has less to do with sonic testing/wall thickness, and more to do with how they fit. No matter who makes them, any generic kit out there can't ever fit any one given car/body as tightly as a bar/cage built from scratch can (if done correctly of course). This is because the kits have to be bent to a generic body type/brand template so they fit as many of that car as possible. But not every driver out there has the exact same height, weight, or seating posision, that effects bar bend angles & placement. And some cars will keep the head liner/interior with a cage install, and some won't, thus changing how tightly the kit might/might not fit up-into the car.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 February 6th 2013, 8:42 am

bigblok2000ranger wrote:Who makes a good quality kit for an SN95 Mustang, have heard there may some thickness issues with some kits. I need a quality kit that will pass sonic check and cert to 8.50. Maybe someone/company that has a written guarantee on wall thickness.

Just like Jason said on the other sight, custom should be what you are looking at.

If you must do a pre-fab deal, Wolfe Race Craft. But for the price you could get a custom done. Did you go to Alston in Atioch?
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 6th 2013, 9:45 am

I forgot about Alston that is where the ladder bars... came from on my 86 Ranger. I will be doing my own cage so more than likely a kit deal. Jason and I talked yesterday about a few "kits" that have failed the sonic check recently hence this post. He mentioned Wolfe and couple others as good places to source a kit from but one of us was getting bad reception so couldn't hear everything. I have used the Jegs kits for the last three I have done but this is one of the kits that has become questionable. The bars they gave you for the x-brace in the doors are not legal for an 8.50 cert and the last thing I want to do is do this twice.

Mainly what I am asking is for kits that have passed NHRA 8.50 certification in this thread. I am also entertaining the idea of buying my own Bender and the raw material.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 6th 2013, 10:05 am

If you're only talking about doing a cage or two cages then I wouldn't invest in everything needed to bend your own. The Wolfe notched kit fits great. I've only done one s&w kit and it wasn't too bad just not very tight as stated above. My old maverick had a jegs kit in it when I bought it and it really wasn't that bad either. Overkill racecars offers a nice kit too.

It will be less than $900 for a notched kit shipped to your door from Wolfe. Which isn't bad considering the time involved to fit a cage properly.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 6th 2013, 3:42 pm

It looks like Wolfe only has the un notched kits available right now but I have saws and tubing notcher squares levels... I like the way the cage is bent from the pics of one installed. This will.gr the route I take.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 6th 2013, 4:42 pm

call and order by phone to make sure you get what you really want.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 6th 2013, 7:24 pm

whatbumper wrote:call and order by phone to make sure you get what you really want.

Definitely will, I really prefer to talk to someone when ordering hi po stuff incase there may be some info not listed on the net.

I may put in 2x3" subframe connectors from the get go in case I decide to go to a 25.5 down the road.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 6th 2013, 8:31 pm

Make sure to tell them that. Some things will be different with their kit. I have upgraded a few of their 8.50 cages to 25.5 and it is pretty simple if it is right from the beginning.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 6th 2013, 8:59 pm

Do you happen to know the 1/8 mile et/mph that would require a 25.5 I can't find my rule book.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 6th 2013, 10:17 pm

There is not an 1/8 mile conversion for this from the NHRA or IHRA. Most tracks require it around the 5.35 range but some let you go all the way to the 5.teens before the 25.5 deal.

How much is your safety worth? Heavy vehicle + fast speeds = bad results if crashed.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger February 6th 2013, 10:55 pm

10-4!
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround February 10th 2013, 8:26 pm

Glad to see this pop up. I have been looking at S&W and Autoweld for a 10 pt cage for my project. I am also looking at their 14pt cage kits just because now is the best time to do it since the truck is completely disassembled.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down