BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LARGEST DIAMETER LIFTER IN A460 BLOCK

+2
dfree383
KEVIN S
6 posters

Go down

LARGEST DIAMETER LIFTER IN A460 BLOCK Empty LARGEST DIAMETER LIFTER IN A460 BLOCK

Post  KEVIN S October 23rd 2012, 8:43 am

What is the largest diameter lifters are you guys using in the A460 block? I was thinking 904+,so could you also tell me if your blocks must me bushed for that diameter? I am not opposed to having lifter bushings installed if necessary. I will be using this block as a backup setup down the road when I change over to an aluminum block so I would prefer to not bush them unless necessary. I did a search and couldn't find anything. Thanks guys.

KEVIN S

Back to top Go down

LARGEST DIAMETER LIFTER IN A460 BLOCK Empty Re: LARGEST DIAMETER LIFTER IN A460 BLOCK

Post  dfree383 October 23rd 2012, 8:50 am

.904 is no problem, does not require a bushing.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

LARGEST DIAMETER LIFTER IN A460 BLOCK Empty largest lifter

Post  KEVIN S October 23rd 2012, 9:02 am

What is the largest lifter that will fit this block with and without bushing? I will likely have bushing installed. I think my engine builder likes to moves some of the lifters with my setup but I haven't addressed this with him yet. I am just trying to get an idea of.what you guys do on these deals. Thanks for your help dfree.

KEVIN S

Back to top Go down

LARGEST DIAMETER LIFTER IN A460 BLOCK Empty Re: LARGEST DIAMETER LIFTER IN A460 BLOCK

Post  dfree383 October 23rd 2012, 10:27 am

You'd have to talk with some lifter manufactures about their products, for compatability with oil feed locations.

but I'd think a .937 Jesel would fit fine with or with out a bushing.

If your looking to go giant.. over 1" I might look at an eliminator block, they are cast different and have more meat in the lifter area.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty October 23rd 2012, 12:02 pm

No problem with .904's and bushings. The nice part about bushing is that you only have to pay one time for machining.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  KEVIN S October 23rd 2012, 1:21 pm

dfree383 wrote:You'd have to talk with some lifter manufactures about their products, for compatability with oil feed locations.

but I'd think a .937 Jesel would fit fine with or with out a bushing.

If your looking to go giant.. over 1" I might look at an eliminator block, they are cast different and have more meat in the lifter area.

Ok, good I thought and was hoping something like the 937 would work. I'm gonna just see what my engine guy recommends I just want to see what you guys were running. I don't have much BBF experience and this website is a great tool. Thanks again.

KEVIN S

Back to top Go down

Post  KEVIN S October 23rd 2012, 1:24 pm

schmitty wrote:No problem with .904's and bushings. The nice part about bushing is that you only have to pay one time for machining.

Great to hear, I figured I would probably do the bushings i just wanted to get peoples opinions and see what works. Thanks KS

KEVIN S

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans October 23rd 2012, 8:16 pm

1. The bushing o.d. for BOTH the .875" Ford lifters and the .904" Mopar lifters is 1.000". No problem in the SVO A-460 block whatsoever.

2. The bushing o.d. for the .937" Jesel keyway lifters is 1.064". No problem in the SVO A-460 block whatsoever.

3. If you are doing the .937" Jesel keyway lifters, then I'd recommend the CHE bronze bushings over the Jesel bronze bushings. Tell Claude that Charlie sent ya'.

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KEVIN S October 24th 2012, 7:58 pm

c.evans wrote:1. The bushing o.d. for BOTH the .875" Ford lifters and the .904" Mopar lifters is 1.000". No problem in the SVO A-460 block whatsoever.

2. The bushing o.d. for the .937" Jesel keyway lifters is 1.064". No problem in the SVO A-460 block whatsoever.

3. If you are doing the .937" Jesel keyway lifters, then I'd recommend the CHE bronze bushings over the Jesel bronze bushings. Tell Claude that Charlie sent ya'.

Charlie Evans

This is great information I will check with CHE. thank you. Mr. Evans

KEVIN S

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 October 28th 2012, 5:31 am

The information supplied by our fellow forum members was great on this topic.
One thing to add....
Do some homework on the lifter of choice ahead of time if you choose the .937 diameter.
I just attempted to purchase a zero offset .937 set of lifters. Jesel wanted 4 weeks lead time, Isky said end of the year (2012). Crane, Morel and others do not have them....
All said the same thing. With the current economy, they are not keeping much product on the shelf.
I ended up with a set of Crowers that were available with 1 week lead time.
I am going to test their "needle-less" option, using a bushing and high pressure oiling option.
Just FYI...
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor October 28th 2012, 4:50 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:
I am going to test their "needle-less" option, using a bushing and high pressure oiling option.
Just FYI...
Keith

Crower has that feature now? Link?
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 October 28th 2012, 5:25 pm

Yes!
They report having lots of them in service with zero failures
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 October 28th 2012, 5:38 pm

They call them Enduramax
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  KEVIN S October 28th 2012, 6:08 pm

Wheelie58 wrote:The information supplied by our fellow forum members was great on this topic.
One thing to add....
Do some homework on the lifter of choice ahead of time if you choose the .937 diameter.
I just attempted to purchase a zero offset .937 set of lifters. Jesel wanted 4 weeks lead time, Isky said end of the year (2012). Crane, Morel and others do not have them....
All said the same thing. With the current economy, they are not keeping much product on the shelf.
Just FYI...
Keith

Keith, I was not aware of the Crowers needle-less option, I will definitely look into this. When I have my heads/intake ported and a cam selected,I plan to let my head guy tell me what lifters I needed(diameter and offset). There is not alot of info on my setup(Thor gen 2) and I don't know if I need an offset lifter or not(I assume I do). I will definitely call around and look into Crowers, I have a friend who has had very good luck with Crowers severe-duty lifters. I am not dead set on any brand. I just need to find out what offset I need so I can look into availability. Thanks for the info. and advise. KS

KEVIN S

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 October 28th 2012, 11:00 pm

Kevin,
You will most likely need an offset lifter with the Thor setup. Well planned mock-ups will save you lots of money and aggravation, especially on Thor applications.
We have several Thor headed engines running out of our shop, so call or PM if you need any info.....
A 727" GenI just came back for a inspection and freshen up last week.
Thanks.
Keith Fulp
678-458-2033
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

Back to top Go down

Post  KEVIN S October 30th 2012, 2:28 pm

Thanks Keith I will take you up on that. I have a few questions about these heads and related parts and its hard to find people that actually have experience with this specific setup. I want to make the right choice the first time and I am not too proud (read:ignorant) Very Happy to ask for help. Thanks again to everyone that posted. KS

KEVIN S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down