BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transmission: Big Horsepower on a Street Car

5 posters

Go down

Transmission: Big Horsepower on a Street Car  Empty Transmission: Big Horsepower on a Street Car

Post  96Mustang460cid June 16th 2012, 12:16 am

Question: What transmission/converter mods are recommended for a high horsepower combo that sees a lot of street driving?

"Lot of street driving" = Hot Rod Power Tour, cruising to the in-law's house a couple hours away, driving 40 miles to work in traffic, ect.

It seems that 1,000+ HP street cars are becoming more and more common. What are people doing for transmissions for these combos?
-- Sprag vs non-sprag vs diode
-- Cruising under converter stall RPM
-- Transbrake vs no transbrake
-- Lockup vs non-lockup converter
-- Heavy vehicle vs beefing up transmission even more...
-- Ect, ect, ect

My current build is a 547 BBF w/ a rear/mid mount 98mm turbo. I'm shooting for ~1,300 HP in a full weight 4-door F150. I have a C6 transmission that may or may not work for the combo moving forward. I know it has a couple extra clutches in each 'part' of the transmission...

Obviously, any street/strip combo is full of compromises. If I want to go faster, I can always turn up the boost!

I'm hoping to get a preliminary picture of what I'm up against for a reasonably reliable transmission/converter setup.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Transmission: Big Horsepower on a Street Car  Empty Re: Transmission: Big Horsepower on a Street Car

Post  dfree383 June 16th 2012, 1:56 am

a modified C6 sounds like a winner for what your doing.

May also consider a Gear Vendors OD, If you want some Lower RPM cruizin'
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Transmission: Big Horsepower on a Street Car  Empty Re: Transmission: Big Horsepower on a Street Car

Post  466cj June 18th 2012, 12:50 pm

So you going to be towing a 5th wheel trailer too? Maybe a modified Allison...

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield June 18th 2012, 1:46 pm

466cj wrote:So you going to be towing a 5th wheel trailer too? Maybe a modified Allison...

Allison is no better and cost a lot more to build! affraid
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper June 18th 2012, 2:22 pm

whitefield wrote:
466cj wrote:So you going to be towing a 5th wheel trailer too? Maybe a modified Allison...

Allison is no better and cost a lot more to build! affraid

if he's thinking of adding a gear vendor unit too then the allison would be something to look at. They arent really that bad to build for that torque range. a LOT less than a good glide. but more than a good c6 you are right about that.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  96Mustang460cid June 18th 2012, 6:05 pm

-- I don't plan on towing anything.
-- Is it bad to have a cruise RPM below the stall of a converter?

I'm trying to find the balance between streetability/reliability and performance. Lots of compromises Smile.

Have a good day!
Michael
96Mustang460cid
96Mustang460cid

Back to top Go down

Post  466cj June 19th 2012, 4:28 am

Cruising under the stall speed how much slip will depend on the converter and how much load under cruise.

Only way around converter slippage is a lock up converter which not going to get with a C-6. For what you want either a properly build E4OD or an Allison. Neither option will be cheap, but you are asking a lot too...

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 19th 2012, 5:35 am

Yes, you do not want the cruize RPM below the converter stall. It will make a bunch of heat.

but a 1000+ hp on a correctly set-up streetable turbo engine, should not require a seroius amount of stall IMO.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down