BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What thread size is this hole???

+3
dfree383
Barney
Race Ready Fabrications
7 posters

Go down

What thread size is this hole??? Empty What thread size is this hole???

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 3rd 2012, 11:09 pm

I'm looking at hooking up an oil accumulator and I want to use this hole. It's smaller than 3/8" NPT and larger than 1/4" NPT. Appears to be a striaght thread and not tapered. I don't have the plug that goes in there to compare to but the plug from under the timing cover seems to fit. I need a fitting with whatever thread this is to a #10 AN female. Any help??
What thread size is this hole??? 003-1
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

What thread size is this hole??? Empty Re: What thread size is this hole???

Post  Barney April 3rd 2012, 11:37 pm

You could always tap it with a 3/8 NPT tap to simplify things when it comes to getting a fitting.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 4th 2012, 12:18 am

I don't remember the size, but they do make AN Fittings to adapt to it.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle April 4th 2012, 11:41 am

5/16" ???

Mine has a hex head pipe plug in it. I don't remember it being hard to source that either. And I think it is typical NPT. Factory deals had a long hex tube in there that the factory oil pressure sending unit screwed onto.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 4th 2012, 12:08 pm

3/8" NPT on all the ones I've had my hands on.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 4th 2012, 12:59 pm

This hole has no taper like a NPT thread. It's straight and a finer thread than NPT as well. This is a DOVE block, I pulled the plug out of a D1 block and it's different than this one. Pretty sure I'm just gonna tap it to 3/8" NPT. Figures....I got the bastard block!!!!
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle April 4th 2012, 1:40 pm

Maybe someone tapped it to a typical bolt thread? In that case you could use an o-ring style AN fitting (ORB fitting). The threads on those are straight and seal with the o-ring.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications April 4th 2012, 2:41 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Maybe someone tapped it to a typical bolt thread? In that case you could use an o-ring style AN fitting (ORB fitting). The threads on those are straight and seal with the o-ring.

I tried that too..... No such luck. It's definitely a bastard. It'll be 3/8" NPT shortly after work. Very Happy
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney April 4th 2012, 4:14 pm

Race Ready Fabrications wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:Maybe someone tapped it to a typical bolt thread? In that case you could use an o-ring style AN fitting (ORB fitting). The threads on those are straight and seal with the o-ring.

I tried that too..... No such luck. It's definitely a bastard. It'll be 3/8" NPT shortly after work. Very Happy
There ya go.... If it don't fit make it fit... Embarassed
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane April 4th 2012, 4:31 pm

Race Ready Fabrications wrote:I'm looking at hooking up an oil accumulator and I want to use this hole. It's smaller than 3/8" NPT and larger than 1/4" NPT. Appears to be a striaght thread and not tapered. I don't have the plug that goes in there to compare to but the plug from under the timing cover seems to fit. I need a fitting with whatever thread this is to a #10 AN female. Any help??
What thread size is this hole??? 003-1
The factory thread in that location is almost always 3/8-NPT. Although extreeeeemely rare, it is possible it was tapped as a Ford J-thread (for example we have seen 3/8-NPT in the front of the passenger car lifter galleries on ultra-rare occasion) but the one you are asking about is supposed to be a 3/8-NPT female thread.

Having said that, I don't think that is the ideal place to plumb your accumulator. Why? Because whenever the accumulator is being refilled, the upstream oil is being diverted to the accumulator and away from the engine bearings before they've been adequately fed.

I think a better location is at the oil pressure port at the rear of the block after enlarging the 1/4-NPT thread to 3/8-NPT and also enlarging the block passage which leads to the rear of the passenger-side lifter gallery. That puts the accumulator on the other side of the engine bearings and at the "end of the line" which backfills the oiling system if the oil pump is not delivering oil. Also, during normal engine operation the accumulator gets refilled by the oil pump after the bearings get all the oil they need.

Paul

Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn April 4th 2012, 5:40 pm

I don't have a clue as to why they chose this but here it is, 3/8-18 NPSF A variation of the Dryseal thread is the NPSF (National Pipe Straight Fuel). It is used for internal threads and a NPTF external thread can be screwed into it to provide a satisfactory mechanical connection and a hydraulic seal. The combination of a parallel and tapered thread is not regarded as ideal but is widely used.

What thread size is this hole??? OilPort
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down