BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

detonation

2 posters

Go down

detonation  Empty detonation

Post  papamoe February 1st 2012, 6:32 pm

Just pulled a head off and found signs of detonation.My engine was missing a bit on the high end of rpm range and i tried several different things to cure it but never went away. Found one plug that was spotted but the rest looked good as they did when i changed them last.I have not pulled the pistons but the damage looks slight,most of what you can see is on the head.Its pitted above the exaust fly cut on the left,on the flat top of the piston and in the same place on the head.all of the exaust ports were chalky grey and sandy feeling. What the heck???

papamoe

Back to top Go down

detonation  Empty Re: detonation

Post  rmcomprandy February 1st 2012, 6:35 pm

papamoe wrote:Just pulled a head off and found signs of detonation.My engine was missing a bit on the high end of rpm range and i tried several different things to cure it but never went away. Found one plug that was spotted but the rest looked good as they did when i changed them last.I have not pulled the pistons but the damage looks slight,most of what you can see is on the head.Its pitted above the exaust fly cut on the left,on the flat top of the piston and in the same place on the head.all of the exaust ports were chalky grey and sandy feeling. What the heck???

Once you get it apart, you can check the top ring groove width. It's almost certain that the top land has lifted some.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papamoe February 1st 2012, 6:39 pm

Are you saying thats what caused the damage or the detonation caused the lifted land?

papamoe

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 1st 2012, 6:48 pm

papamoe wrote:Are you saying thats what caused the damage or the detonation caused the lifted land?

NO ... that is probably going to be the result of mild detonation.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papamoe February 1st 2012, 6:54 pm

I guess that will require new pistons.

papamoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down