BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely

+5
Doug Rahn
richter69
powerstrokeace
bbf-falcon
Godzilla
9 posters

Go down

Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely Empty Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely

Post  Godzilla January 28th 2012, 8:02 pm

Any ideas on lineing up roller rocker on valve tip with lash caps?

Godzilla

Back to top Go down

Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely Empty Re: Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely

Post  bbf-falcon January 28th 2012, 8:06 pm

are you using the right pushrod guide plates?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely Empty guide plates

Post  Godzilla January 28th 2012, 8:14 pm

The heads are Blue Thunder, and the heads came complete with manley guide plates.

Godzilla

Back to top Go down

Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely Empty Re: Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely

Post  powerstrokeace January 28th 2012, 8:17 pm

wht rocker arm are you using and have you figured out the push rod lenght?

Ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 28th 2012, 8:40 pm

You might have to cut the plates,get them in place,then weld them back to get them in place.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 January 28th 2012, 8:47 pm

Not 5 minutes ago I just got through slotting a guide plate on on my 563", I'm in the process of replacing the rocker studs with some longer ones and I had one exh rocker not hitting as square as I would have liked. Leave the studs a tad loose where you can float the plate around and see if if lines up, if you need some additional adjustment a dremmel with a stone will cut the plate where you need it...........a little goes a long ways, I just spent an hour and a half getting mine where I was happy with it.

Now this is if the issue is the side to side adjustment, if its top to bottom you have a pushrod length issue.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely Empty Comp pro magnum

Post  Godzilla January 28th 2012, 8:54 pm

No i havent figured the pushrod length yet. I've just started putting this thing together, and ran into this problem. Would pushrod length have anything to do with the RR not hitting the tip squarely?
I just read the new post, and will work in that direction. Thanks--Richter69 and BBF-Falcon

Godzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn January 28th 2012, 9:14 pm

When you say they are not hitting squarely, which direction are you talking about? If you're talking about from the center-line to outboard side of the engine, then it's probably push-rod length. If it's off center from front to back then it's the guide plates like others have said.
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane January 28th 2012, 9:30 pm

Godzilla wrote:Any ideas on lineing up roller rocker on valve tip with lash caps?
Godzilla wrote:The heads are Blue Thunder, and the heads came complete with manley guide plates.
The standard valve layout Blue Thunder CJ-style cylinder heads have had each of their intake and exhaust valves spread apart 0.040" from one another. However the rocker studs remain in their OEM locations (not spread 0.040" each like the valves). I would not be concerned if the roller is not dead center on the valve; in worst case scenarios I have even seen rollers halfway off the tip of the valve (to the side) and the engine still ran strong.

If you want, you can split the guideplates into two and rotate each guideplate half around its respective rocker arm stud and swing the roller tip back over the stem tip...or at least atop the stem. Just keep in mind that being dead center is not in-and-of-itself critical and (technically) the more you rotate the guideplate the more you compound the geometry...although I'm really splitting hairs at this point.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Roller Rocker not hitting valve squarely Empty Roller Rocker problem

Post  Godzilla January 29th 2012, 9:52 pm

Thanks to everyone that chimed in on my RR not hitting the valve proprely. It took about 2 hours to grind 2 guide plates, but i feel better about it. If this happens again i think i'll try cutting the guide plate, centering it and welding it, so i wont have such a big notch in the plate. Thanks again.
Bob

Godzilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues February 3rd 2012, 8:11 pm

These werent BBC rockers were they? They are not the same at the BBF. Seen this happen before.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 February 4th 2012, 1:21 pm

i number my guide plates by the cylinder # when finish with the alignment it make easy 2 put it back together doing head work that involves removing guides

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 February 4th 2012, 2:57 pm

Godzilla wrote:The heads are Blue Thunder, and the heads came complete with manley guide plates.

IVE had to cut and reweld guideplates on bt heads, not uncommon, are you getting 70% contact?
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down