BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing with cam idea

3 posters

Go down

Playing with cam idea Empty Playing with cam idea

Post  dexter532 November 27th 2011, 11:17 pm

So I am building another 460, this one more for a street deal in a 2wd truck. I have been watching engine masters coverage for several years, and I have noticed that for the intended RPM range, they are using fairly big cams, and advance them as far as they can or close to it. So my idea I am playing with, is with a street motor that I want to peak between 5250 and 5500 rpm, I can either:

A, run a cam with around 230 duration @ .050 and run it straight up on the chain or

B, run a cam with 240+ duration @ .050 and advance it 4, 6 or 8 degrees to get the same RPM range.

The second cam will get me more lift, and assuming that all else is the same, will the second cam run harder? Is there a down side to running a cam advanced that much on the street vs the dyno? Idle quality and vaccume I assume would deteriorate with the second cam, but choppy is cool.

Thanks

dexter532

Back to top Go down

Playing with cam idea Empty Re: Playing with cam idea

Post  dfree383 November 27th 2011, 11:58 pm

Theirs alot more to it then just the .050 duration numbers.

Keep in mind with emc its about score.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 28th 2011, 11:58 am

BIG cams ...? A mechanical cam of 235 @.050" is in the OEM high performance engine range and that's less than most of those.
The EMC cams are pretty small as far as the usual norm goes ... just rather aggressive.

As Dave said ... it's about score from 2,500 RPM to 6,500 RPM not the most power output.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dexter532 November 29th 2011, 1:23 am

I guess when I said "big cams" I was reffering too the size in relationship to the cubic inches and RPM bands they are running. It seems to be on the "large size" for most cams that the average joe runs on the street. My "street cam" in the 532 is 266/ 268 @ .050. Its all relative i guess...

If you look at Kaase's 400m with the tunnel ram. Not every day you see a cleveland making 500ft lbs at 3000 rpm with a cam pushing 250 @ .050 and a tunnel ram....... well at least I dont see that too often.

So although I understand the engine masters is for score, and its own mathmatical criteria, I was just wondering if there was some merit to what they seem to trend toward on cam timing on a street engine, as apposed to the traditional cam timing. Very Happy Or maybe they are just dyno queens that get some great numbers for the given competition, and wouldn't be worth alot "in the real world".

Thanks

dexter532

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 29th 2011, 7:51 am

Everything has to work together, it not just the cam making the power.

Kaase's engines are a little more complicated than a big cam way advanced, you need to look at his complete induction and exhaust.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy November 29th 2011, 12:35 pm

On a street engine ... yes, because you are giving away horsepower upstairs to get it over the ENTIRE 4,000 RPM band.
For a race engine, it is not the best thing.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dexter532 November 29th 2011, 9:24 pm

Thats the answer I was looking for! Smile

Thanks!!

dexter532

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content