BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C6 rebuild kit?

4 posters

Go down

C6 rebuild kit? Empty C6 rebuild kit?

Post  David Cole October 10th 2011, 7:58 pm

I need to rebuild the C6 in my 67 Fairlane GTA. I have done a couple of sbf C6's for strip use, but the last one was more than 10 yrs ago. I will just go slow and use my book until I get used to it again.

The application:
67 Fairlane, 3.70 gear .030 390, small unknown hyd cam with just a little bumpy idle. 3X2 carbs. Trans is most likely stock. Stock converter. Stock manifolds w dual exhaust.

I need a recommendation for:
1. Complete master overhaul kit
2. Shift kit, stock was mushy shifts. Would go to 2nd at light throttle at about 5 mph. Just want a good firm, street type shift.
3. Converter, just a shelf unit. Not a serious build that needs custom built like my drag cars. Just want a little higher than stock that will let it idle correctly in gear. Stock unit in it now idles to low in gear if you set the idle speed right. Idle correct in gear and it's too high in park.
4. Any other parts that are a must have? Servo, etc?

The trans hung up in 3rd today again. 3/4 throttle romp from a stop, shifted early and now has R and 3. Starts off in 3, no 2nd. Try it in Low and it's locked, like a transbrake. Car will not move. It did this the first time a couple of months ago. Got it unstuck by yanking it down into low from a 5 mph roll. Barked the tires and broke it loose. Tried it again today, no luck. Just locks up and slides the tires. I have had various opinions as to cause. Most say either a sticking shift valve or that some clutches have welded themselves together. Either way, cruising season is over and it's time to get greasy.

Thanks
David Cole
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

C6 rebuild kit? Empty Re: C6 rebuild kit?

Post  crittersf1 October 10th 2011, 9:30 pm

Welded some clutches David
crittersf1
crittersf1

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl October 10th 2011, 10:57 pm

High /reverse clutches are welded together
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

C6 rebuild kit? Empty Rebuild kit in ga

Post  manofmerc October 14th 2011, 6:42 am

I use T P U in Ga. here is a # for them they would ship you a kit .I would go with a raybestos overhaul kit .Some of the early c6s cant use the aftermarket r servo .The hole in the trans. is to small .Early c6s use thin.060 clutchs in the forward drum .You cant set your clearances properly with the later .076 clutchs .I had problems with a set of pump gears from tpu other than that their parts are fine and priced affordably .I really dont know of a higher stall convertor that is an off the shelf unit I have a tci that is supposed to be a little over stock in my 428 cyclone.I am pleased with it .They call it the saturday night special.About 2000-2200 .Broader performance is another source for trans and convertors .A transgo 67 1-2 is a good shiftkit tpu carries them .I am in ga. and have some extra c6 parts and transmissons .I go by manofcyclones on the fe forum .# for tpu 404 366 1455 1 800 241 3880 my # 678 603 8400 Doug Good luck with your build cyclops

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole November 9th 2011, 8:31 pm

Trans out, rebuilt and back in.

Turns out it was flat worn out.

Clutches welded together, valves stuck in the VB, sprag shot, band gone, clutches that were not welded were burned.

Had to get another drum. This one had a machined groove cut in it and could only use 3 clutches. Couldn't flip the pressure plate and add an extra or it would get hung in the groove. Got a drum w/o the groove and it now has 4 high clutches. Got an E4OD sprag and a Trans Go shift kit. Used a TCI Sat night special converter. Seems to be about right. This is just a street cruiser w slightly hotter than stock 390.

Shifts just right in D. When shifting manually the 2-3 shift is very good. Just like I want it. However 1-2 shift when done manually is drawn out a little more than I want. You can feel it start to shift and it hesitates just a touch before it really settles into 2nd. Left to shift itself in D the 1-2 shift is fine. Ideas?

Thanks
David Cole
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl November 28th 2011, 1:15 am

what does the transco shift kit do with the 2nd gear accumulator in the vb ? 2nd hole over under the banana plate from the rear of the vb , if there's a spring in there -remove it and install 13 pennies
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole November 28th 2011, 2:15 am

Frank Merkl wrote:what does the transco shift kit do with the 2nd gear accumulator in the vb ?

Can't remember. Lucky to remember what was dinner today. lol. I'll look for the instruction sheet

2nd hole over under the banana plate from the rear of the vb , if there's a spring in there -remove it and install 13 pennies
Frank

Thanks Frank!
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl November 28th 2011, 12:02 pm

13 penny's will give a nice tire churp on the 1-2 shift
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down