BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alter C6 case for converter bolt access

5 posters

Go down

Alter C6 case for converter bolt access Empty Alter C6 case for converter bolt access

Post  Dave De October 8th 2020, 6:17 pm

It seems that every time I re-assemble the converter bolts loosen up at least once. I've got a shoe box pan and block hugging headers that make removing the starter and tightening a royal pain.
Has anyone cut the bottom of the case off for access to the converter bolts. I talking about removing a 3" wide by 1" long piece at the very bottom of the case.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Alter C6 case for converter bolt access Empty Re: Alter C6 case for converter bolt access

Post  pmrphil October 8th 2020, 6:30 pm

I've done exactly that, maybe just a bit deeper - 1 1/4 by about 3 1/2. Without it, first time I dropped a converter nut I had to pull the engine back out to retrieve it. Went back together with the cutout, probably 7 or 8 years ago.

pmrphil

Back to top Go down

Alter C6 case for converter bolt access Empty Re: Alter C6 case for converter bolt access

Post  norm October 8th 2020, 8:01 pm

Yes,won't hurt anything.

Mine is probably 3"X6"
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De October 11th 2020, 9:32 pm

Thanks guys I was able to sneak a combination wrench in there but the next time its out I'm going to clearance an opening.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl October 21st 2020, 4:16 pm

I cut the bottom of the bellhousing open on mine from lower block plate bolt hole to hole 9" wide 4 1/4" deep ,never any ill affects
Frank
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Alter C6 case for converter bolt access Empty C6 clearance window in bell area

Post  cammerfe March 13th 2022, 12:19 am

Back in the late '60s, I was working at T&C Livonia. I was quite involved in building and racing cars using a C6 trans. We routinely cut a window such as you speak of. I'd suggest you make the cut in such a way as to not include any corners in the cut-away area. Corners are a good place to start cracks. Cut a 'smile' shape and dress all the edges of the cut.

KS

cammerfe

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down