BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

valve tip broken off

+2
maverick532
pcevans5
6 posters

Go down

valve tip broken off Empty valve tip broken off

Post  pcevans5 January 26th 2020, 6:46 pm

Hi all, This is my first post having just joined the forum, which looks like a great source of information for this engine.
I live in the UK and have a Cobra kit with a 1970 429 in it which is relatively rare over here so not much knowledge to draw on.
The engine was rebuilt for me in in the USA and I shipped it over to the UK a long time ago, having recently gotten the car on the road I was experiencing a loud ticking noise in one head so I took the rocker off to inspect. After a lot of inspection I was really surprised to find one of the valves has had the top 1/4" shear off ! I found a small perfect disk in the oil next to the valve.
I have to assume the valves are actually made of more than one piece of metal or this is the most unique failure I have ever seen.
Is this a known fault on 429/460 engines ?

Thanks
Paul

pcevans5

Back to top Go down

valve tip broken off Empty Re: valve tip broken off

Post  maverick532 January 26th 2020, 8:59 pm

are you sure that's not a lash cap ? send picture

maverick532

Back to top Go down

Post  tornado January 26th 2020, 9:02 pm

You beat me to it Maverick. I was wondering the same thing

tornado

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino January 27th 2020, 12:19 am

What kind of valves are they? Some Ford engines did indeed use a two piece valve, but it was commonly the valve head that was welded to the stem (stock steel valves).
These were often used with very "soft" spring pressures for low rpm, low stress applications.
But when they were hot rodded or raced, the valve head would break off and generally destroy the whole motor...ouch!
Many stock 2V Clevelands were like this. They used a weird type of "multi-groove" valve and keeper that held the valve kind of loosely so it would rotate during operation, and thus provide longer wear life for the valve and the seat....it was not one of their better ideas! LOL

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 27th 2020, 12:31 am

I have witnessed the hardened tip breaking right off an exhaust valve on a customer's head with an aluminum head SCJ  so, it certainly can happen if the exhaust valves do have hardened tips.
It was about .100" thick though, not near 1/4 inch.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans January 27th 2020, 1:14 am

It sounds like to me that it broke off right at the keeper grove. Normal valve tip length is .250" with performance valves. Any way, you've got to R&R the head to solve the problem and when you do, you can figure out the true failure.

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down