BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  the tree man on January 5th 2020, 2:08 am

I have a Stefs aluminium oil pan on my 460 that I want to reuse and I believe it only clears a 3.85 crank with stock rods but will a stroker with smaller journals and aftermarket Chev rods clear?Does anybody have a minimum depth measurement from the block pan rail to safely clear either a 4.3 or 4.5 crank?

the tree man

Posts : 77
Join date : 2019-10-07
Age : 60
Location : Winnipeg,Canada

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  Lem Evans on January 5th 2020, 10:13 am

It takes 6-1/2" in the front to clear a Kaase oil pump which will clear the 4.5" stroker.

A stock pan does not have enough volume for a long stroke engine. Best to put a after market pan on it.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7350
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  rmcomprandy on January 5th 2020, 12:08 pm


Ford Racing had a stock Ford truck oil pan on their early 4.300" stroke crate 514 which also had 2 1/2" rod journals using truck rods with thru-bolts so, I know a stock pan will clear a 4.3" stroke.
With a rod journal .300" smaller diameter, (big block Chevy size), a rear sump truck pan will probably clear a 4.5" stroke.

Just because an oil pan will clear everything in the crankcase does not mean it will have enough volume for the amount of air movement being displaced in that crankcase during running to not have a lot of extra oil aeration.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5626
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  the tree man on January 5th 2020, 1:05 pm

I have a 7 qt front sump pan so the capacity should be OK but it's the shallow rear portion that concerns me.It's 4 1/2" deep and being in a rear steer 64 Fairlane there is a draglink under it as well the Crites headers criss cross #4 and #8 tubes under the pan.Pan is still on the motor so I'm going to bolt the 2 tubes on the motor this aft and see what's there for space but I know it's tight.This pan was on the motor when I got it and I assumed a fancy,$800 CAN, fabbed aluminium pan would be stroker clearanced but apparently not.Why would you even make a pan that sweet and not leave room for a bigger throw since EVERYBODY is going bigger.Seems to be erroneous info in these ads or something.

My pan.Specifically states 3.85 and not stroker clearanced.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/stf-1070

Then I see this pan at Summit that's supposedly an OE replacement and specs a 4.5 crank has room but the rear area looks as shallow as mine.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3538/overview/make/ford

the tree man

Posts : 77
Join date : 2019-10-07
Age : 60
Location : Winnipeg,Canada

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  rmcomprandy on January 5th 2020, 6:19 pm

the tree man wrote:I have a 7 qt front sump pan so the capacity should be OK but it's the shallow rear portion that concerns me.It's 4 1/2" deep and being in a rear steer 64 Fairlane there is a draglink under it as well the Crites headers criss cross #4 and #8 tubes under the pan.Pan is still on the motor so I'm going to bolt the 2 tubes on the motor this aft and see what's there for space but I know it's tight.This pan was on the motor when I got it and I assumed a fancy,$800 CAN, fabbed aluminium pan would be stroker clearanced but apparently not.Why would you even make a pan that sweet and not leave room for a bigger throw since EVERYBODY is going bigger.Seems to be erroneous info in these ads or something.

My pan.Specifically states 3.85 and not stroker clearanced.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/stf-1070

Then I see this pan at Summit that's supposedly an OE replacement and specs a 4.5 crank has room but the rear area looks as shallow as mine.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3538/overview/make/ford

I see that it says, "with O.E. Rod".

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5626
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  the tree man on January 5th 2020, 11:52 pm

A quick calculation gives me a distance below the pan rail for a 545 of 3.975.(1/2 stroke 2.25 minus the .125 cap register in the block/1/2 rod journal 1.100/rod cap & bolts approx .750? or so).Is a 1/2" clearance to the pan floor enough?The difference between the 460 and a 545 below the block pan rail is only .175 and a 521 is a measley .100.Seems like it should be more unless I'm missing something.So I'm confident both will clear but will that .075 difference to a 545 vs a 521 actually make a difference considering street use and a preferred max rpm of 6000 and a bit?

the tree man

Posts : 77
Join date : 2019-10-07
Age : 60
Location : Winnipeg,Canada

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  Paul Kane on January 6th 2020, 3:52 pm

An OEM spec pan will clear; that doesn’t make it ideal for the engine combination but yes it’s doable.
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

Posts : 950
Join date : 2009-09-15
Location : San Francisco Bay Area

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  Lem Evans on January 6th 2020, 7:27 pm

Paul Kane wrote:An OEM spec pan will clear; that doesn’t make it ideal for the engine combination but yes it’s doable.

Yep, a clear case of....what one could do rather than what one should do.

Lem Evans

Posts : 7350
Join date : 2008-12-03
Location : Livermore , Ky

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  the tree man on January 6th 2020, 10:29 pm

Finished tearing down the engine this eve.My 460 with bulky CJ rods measures at 3.9" engine pan rail to the rod bolts.I have 4.375 to the pan so looks like I have lots of room even if the 4.5 crank/rods hang a bit below 4".This pan has a scraper/screen also and it looks that will be close but there's extra meat to trim it if necessary.I'm going to pull the trigger on a 545 assembly.Damn the torpedos,full speed ahead.I have a few more details to get some clarification on so I'll be posting as I go along.Appreciate the input.

the tree man

Posts : 77
Join date : 2019-10-07
Age : 60
Location : Winnipeg,Canada

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  BBFTorino on January 12th 2020, 12:53 am

Just latching onto this thread, I see mention of oil pan capacity and the amount of air that is present inside the crank case.
I am putting together a 557 and I am looking at using a Milodon oil pan PN#31129, it has an 8.00" inch depth for the rear sump, and holds 7 quarts of oil. It is a Fox Body style oil pan with a rear sump, and a smaller front sump to house the oil pump.
Is this pan sufficient for this size engine?

BBFTorino

Posts : 850
Join date : 2015-12-31

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  rmcomprandy on January 12th 2020, 11:07 am

BBFTorino wrote:Just latching onto this thread, I see mention of oil pan capacity and the amount of air that is present inside the crank case.
I am putting together a 557 and I am looking at using a Milodon oil pan PN#31129, it has an 8.00" inch depth for the rear sump, and holds 7 quarts of oil. It is a Fox Body style oil pan with a rear sump, and a smaller front sump to house the oil pump.
Is this pan sufficient for this size engine?  

The more area in the oil pan and the farther away from the oil level the rotating assembly is ... the better it will be.
Being sufficient is merely what you're happy with.

rmcomprandy

Posts : 5626
Join date : 2008-12-02
Location : Roseville, Michigan

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan? Empty Re: Will a 545 or 521 clear a stock oil pan?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum